FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1047553-questions-bankdirect-now-bask-bank-consolidated.html)

Maui Time Sep 3, 2011 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jss (Post 17043823)
while on the subject of bank direct--the "review earned miles" now shows today's posting for August balances

A bit odd...my miles posted to AA but don't show up on BD.

jss Sep 3, 2011 4:32 pm

Mine showed at bd yesterday and at aa today

maxmin Sep 5, 2011 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 17040282)
You do know that LTG does not get any SWUs, right? 4 SWUs are awarded only when one hits LTP.

Frankly speaking, I simply fail to understand why would one want LTG so bad to tie up money in a CD at like close to 0% ( after taxes / inflation / time value of money etc.) or may be negative 5% (or even worse for early withdrawal) :confused::confused::confused:

- LTG does not get you SWUs.
- LTG does not have very high priority for regular continental US upgrades.
- LTG does not get you Admiral club access privileges (not even when flying internationally on full fare economy).
- LTG does not get you priority baggage.
- LTG does not get you 100% mileage bonus.

Now, lets consider scenarios where one may argue LTG is valuable:

Case 1: Person does not fly much, may be 2 to 3 domestic trips in a year.
- So, with LTG, all this person would get is 25% mileage bonus and may be 1 in 10 (with all EXPs and Ps around, I doubt even person has even that chance) shot to an upgrade. I have seen my colleague who is EXP this year travel in coach in about 9 out of 10 trips :-). So, if we assume that this person travels like 15,000 miles, 25% bonus would be like 3750 miles. So, a person is going to tie up many thousands just to get measly 3750? ? I doubt one would.
For this person, LTG is not that great!

Case 2: Person flies a lot, may be 6 or more domestic and couple of international round trips in a year.
- Hmmmm.... If person flies this much, he/she should make Gold every year just with BIS (getting Gold every year would be same as LTG, right).

So, this person should not go for LTG either.

I am almost certain I am missing something, just don't know what :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Dear fromfall98

Thanks for being the Voice Of Reason. I needed that :)

lancexfang Sep 12, 2011 4:21 pm

miles for debit transactions and direct deposits - hard to get

I admit: I do try to max out bonus miles for the least amount of effort. In the case of trying to get bonus miles from bankdirect in the categories of using debit card and making direct deposits, I have failed spectacularly.

In terms of debit card, I made 12 online payments to my utility 3 months in a row, each time with a small amount. They rejected my request saying these transactions are 'not normal transactions'.

For direct deposits, I have about half of my payceck deposited into my regular checking account and the other half to bankdirect. Now they want to see my paycheck.

It's a lot to ask for 15,000 miles in total, imho. And I don't deserve those to begin with. So I give up. Gilty as charged.

DrSifu Sep 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Should I be upset that BankDirect is scrutinizing every request for miles or upset at those who caused BankDirect to have to do this?

I was denied my 10,000 miles even though I am depositing my full check from all income sources. They wanted a paystub. I didn't want them sticking their nose where it doesn't belong, so I blacked out parts they didn't need to know and showed them the full amount was being deposited. Still not good enough. They want to see all the taxes, before tax deductions and after tax deductions on the paystub. I am going to give it to them, but it is absurd.

They said the stated income on my application didn't match the amount deposited.

I suggest in the future that when you fill out the application, say your income is only $1000.

But than again, I'm sure they still want to see your paystub.

lancexfang Sep 13, 2011 6:16 am

Originally Posted by DrSifu (Post 17099476)
Should I be upset that BankDirect is scrutinizing every request for miles or upset at those who caused BankDirect to have to do this?

Great question. To me it goes back to why banks provide incentive for these kind of activities. They want you to use their debit cards. They want your deposits.

Based on that, I'll say the scrutiny on debit cards is more legit than on paychecks. My own behavior on debit cards is an example of behavior that they didn't start out to encourage.

But in terms of direct deposit, so what if a paycheck of $5,000 is divided into a $3000 going into another bank and $2000 to them? They are getting a good chunk of it. That's a start I'll say. To ask for each paycheck and go thru them like crazy seems to be overreaching and counterproductive to me.

I fully agree they are entitled to make their rules. And I feel bad that I might have contributed to reinforcing their paranoia. I just don't know the strigent enforcement around direct deposits actually help their own cause.

ExitRowAisle Oct 2, 2011 3:34 pm

Although most, if not all, of us on this board are not that interested in the minimal interest paid by BD, was anyone else surprised by the interest rate cut that BD seems to have implemented in September on the AA checking accounts? My interest paid was about one-third of what it has been in the past.

MeLike2Travel Oct 2, 2011 4:47 pm

I noticed that the monthly interest amount for this month was a lot lower for me, even though my balance is higher. What was the interest rate before? Looks like it's .01% now.

seawolf Oct 3, 2011 11:27 am

The AA account earns interest?!?!? ;)

ORD-TGU Oct 4, 2011 7:16 am

as of 10-4 8am miles have not posted on AA.com.....on an earlier post it was mentioned that on the bank's website you could see a summary of miles earned...i looked around and could not find, can someone throw a hand here and help me fin this....thanks!

rrgg Oct 4, 2011 7:24 am

Sometimes they post on Wed.

Pick: Manage Your Account (on the main account page)
Then: Review Earned Miles

jss Oct 4, 2011 8:07 am

You should see them at BD late today and then at AA tomorrow as they usually post on the 2nd business day of the month at BD and AA the following day.

ceieoc Oct 4, 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jss (Post 17217888)
You should see them at BD late today and then at AA tomorrow as they usually post on the 2nd business day of the month at BD and AA the following day.

Does anyone know BankDirect's schedule for posting CD mileage for a CD issued September 29, 2011?

efox Oct 4, 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 17217615)
as of 10-4 8am miles have not posted on AA.com.....on an earlier post it was mentioned that on the bank's website you could see a summary of miles earned...i looked around and could not find, can someone throw a hand here and help me fin this....thanks!

Click "manage account" at the bottom of the screen when first login.

jss Oct 4, 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 17218132)
Does anyone know BankDirect's schedule for posting CD mileage for a CD issued September 29, 2011?

Post the beginning of each month--same as mileage checking you should see that today at BD and tomorrow at AA--if everything was in place.