Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeShores
Had a tough one today. Long story short, traveling sunday AUS-DFW-MIA-SJU. I have a remnant paper voucher and saw that the fare difference on the outbound was less than the voucher amount, so I decided to upfare. I called the PPro line and the agent said within 14 days they cannot use a voucher for upfare payment. I mentioned that I had no problem running down to the airport today, but she was firm. I tried the HUCA method. The second agent said there was no way to hold the reservation (so that the fare would still be available when I got to the airport) and no way for her to indicate a voucher payment due to the 14-day window. I tried HUCA one more time, just trying to get the upfare held, to no avail. Off to the airport I went.

The agent at the desk was confused by what I wanted to do, thinking I had held (versus purchased) my ticket in Y and simply wanted to create an all-new ticket in F. I explained the upfare and that I do it on the phone all the time, but she declined to assist. I asked for a supervisor and again they didn't seem to understand upfare. She explained that I could use the voucher to buy 500-mile upgrades, and I chuckled...I have 23 of them, but as a PPro I don't need them. No matter what I said, she kept trying to upGRADE me, and I said no, I want to PAY for first-class, and I want to use the voucher to do so.

Ultimately, she called ticketing (reservations?) and asked, and was then transferred to the PPro help desk, and then to someone else (perhaps system help desk?) The whole process took about an hour and a half, but was able to be completed...no change fee and they didn't charge me the $35 ATO ticketing fee. That said, I have a couple of questions, in the case that I find myself in a similar situation:

1) Is it not possible for the reservations (phone) agent to hold an upfare?
2) Is it not possible for the reservations agent to ticket an upfare, showing the voucher as the payment type and go to the airport same day?
3) Why doesn't the front-line staff understand the difference between upGRADE and upFARE? Is there another term they are more familiar with?
4) What could I have done differently to make this situation easier or less complex?

Current correct term to use is "SELL UP" so that they can find it in their reference material, not to say that will solve all the problems, but at least they can search for it:

metallo and dciolli like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
Hello all -
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but is there a wiki on here that explains how to best utilize EF? I might sign up for it, but haven't really used it before. There are often good bits of info about it in these forums, but I can't recall if there are comprehensive FAQs/tips for it anywhere.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by ORDbird
Hello all -
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but is there a wiki on here that explains how to best utilize EF? I might sign up for it, but haven't really used it before. There are often good bits of info about it in these forums, but I can't recall if there are comprehensive FAQs/tips for it anywhere.

Thanks!
Take a look at this thread:
AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)
ORDbird likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by MorganB
Thank you, kind soul. Not sure how I missed this when I searched the forum.
MorganB likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hey All,

Amerrican is offering on my MCO a ticket a move to first class on my PNR which is the first time I have seen this. Apologies if this has already been noted. Looks like this:

Move to First Class
Book for as low as + $87 per person

Buy NowBest way to travel
■ Our largest, most comfortable seat
■ 2 free checked bags**
■ Priority security at participating airports
■ Priority boarding
■ Changes or refunds allowed (fee may apply)
*Price shown is per passenger and for the lowest cost upgrade. Upgrades on other flights in your trip may cost more.
**On planes with both Business and First, you get 1 extra checked bag.
**Your elite status bag allowance applies if it's higher.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hey All,

Amerrican is offering on my MCO a ticket a move to first class on my PNR which is the first time I have seen this. Apologies if this has already been noted. Looks like this:

Move to First Class
Book for as low as + $87 per person

Buy NowBest way to travel
■ Our largest, most comfortable seat
■ 2 free checked bags**
■ Priority security at participating airports
■ Priority boarding
■ Changes or refunds allowed (fee may apply)
*Price shown is per passenger and for the lowest cost upgrade. Upgrades on other flights in your trip may cost more.
**On planes with both Business and First, you get 1 extra checked bag.
**Your elite status bag allowance applies if it's higher.
See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-upgrades.html
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
This is correct. There is a $50 charge for AA to take control of a ticket booked by a travel agent. AA has gotten more diligent about assessing this charge, as I too have been charged it recently even though historically I had not been.
Just reporting, but i upfared 2 AA flights yesterday on the EXP line. Both were purchased by a TA (work requirement) and neither charged the $50. Lucky me? While i had to wait about an hour for a call back the EXP agent was very good and knew just what i wanted to do. She did remark that a lot of people were upfaring earlier this year, compared to the usual December rush for re qualification.

Last edited by boerne; Oct 6, 2019 at 7:49 pm Reason: added data
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
Just reporting, but i upfared 2 AA flights yesterday on the EXP line. Both were purchased by a TA (work requirement) and neither charged the $50. Lucky me? While i had to wait about an hour for a call back the EXP agent was very good and knew just what i wanted to do. She did remark that a lot of people were upfaring earlier this year, compared to the usual December rush for re qualification.
Check your credit card statement in a few days. A colleague just did this last week. The agent never mentioned the $50 fee, yet it appeared on his CC statement a few days later and at the bottom of the receipt AA e-mailed.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Hmmm, I have never been targeted for an Upfare..... is it just certain routes? does it usually come by email.....?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Hmmm, I have never been targeted for an Upfare..... is it just certain routes? does it usually come by email.....?
No target, You must request by phoning in. And I looked at my credit card yesterday and no $50, but will check again
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Look at your reservation within the app. If offered it will show up as a banner (similar to how you would see request for VDB bids). Suspect it is load based driven as I see it occasionally on flights I frequent but not every week. You can also call to upfare as the offers are typically the difference between your current fare and what F is selling for.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
No target, You must request by phoning in. And I looked at my credit card yesterday and no $50, but will check again
Is the $50 fee waived for EP? If so, that might be why.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:52 am

It may be waived, or this exceptionally good agent waived it. Here is breakdown from email and below from receipt on aa.com

FARE-USD$ 697.68
TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES$ 98.33
TICKET TOTAL$ 796.01
ADDITIONAL FARE COLLECTION$ 477.01

Adult (per passenger)$1,162.79 USD
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE (UNITED STATES)$9.00 USD
SEGMENT TAX (UNITED STATES)$8.40 USD
US DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION TAX (UNITED STATES)$87.21 USD
US SECURITY FEE (UNITED STATES)$11.20 USD
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:09 am

The fee would show below all of that with a description of "EXTERNAL RESERVATION HANDLING SERVICE". It would not be part of the fare, tax or A/C amounts. It also won't show on the receipt on aa.com if I remember correctly; I think it only appeared in the e-mail the last time I saw this charge.

Just curious, who is your CTA and is it possible they somehow book direct with AA?

Michael
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:06 pm

They may book direct, I just am required to book through them for these jobs. And I looked at both and there was not an external reservation handling service. Maybe just got lucky. will pm name so nobody thinks i am a troll or something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.