Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FOR CURRENT THREAD, SEE Guide to AA Inflight Power in 2018

AA offers power points to most seats (some may be shared by two adjacent seats); while AA are moving to 110 VAC standard “Universal” (two blade US, Euro and UK) outlets, with 5 VDC low output USB outlets. The few remaining older (MD-80) aircraft still have "cigarette lighter" style outlets with ~15 VDC. LUS narrowbodied aircraft are generally do not offer seat power, though it will be retrofitted under Project Oasis.

(For WiFi, which is changing dynamically across the fleet in 2018, please see here.)

Please see the first post in this thread for further information.

The CIP 763s with staggered full flat Business with 110 VAC and USB 5 VDC in Business, and the cigar-lighter style 15 VDC outlets in MCE. For power issue tips and tricks see sluggoaafa's post #171.

NOTE: New power: "Each set of outlets in a row can provide up to 225 watts of power, combined, with a maximum of 150 watts per plug. If one device is pulling its maximum allotment, this leaves only 75 watts for the second plug, meaning there are times where there may not be enough power to run 2 devices."

Announced 22 Jan 3017: "We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020." (This should be 110 VAC multiplug and 5 VDC USB.)

Old “cigar lighter”outlet 15 VDC power: drawing over 70 watts is likely to reset the breaker. Some devices may charge or run, but not both.

Resources:

Link to aa.com WiFi and Connectivity page

Link to aa.com page with links to each aircraft's powerport status

Link to SeatGuru - seat charts show show powerport locations (but note SeatGuru has some seat chart reliability issues)

Link to Travel Technology Forum: The In Flight Power Knowledge Compendium

Previous posts can be fund in Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA (Archived)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

On-board Power

N.B. Currently, there are four power configurations (including no power):

(1) The new 787 models, 77W, 772, A321T and LAA A320 and 737 all offer 110 VAC / 225 Watts shared beaten two power points with multiprong (two or two plus ground, Australian, Euro and UK) outlet and USB 5.0 VDC port.

(2) Aircraft with two-prong (ungrounded) 110 VAC common US powerports - with a limitation of 225 Watts supply shared between two seats' power points - include all "75L" "International" 757-200s, possibly a very few 737 and "domestic" 757s.

(3) MD-80 aircraft with 15 VDC cigar lighter type plus, limited to 75 Watts per power receptacle

(5) Aircraft with USB outlets are 5 VDC standard female 1.1 low amp USB ports.

(5) Some aircraft have had power ports disabled due to technical issues.
Some mainline AA aircraft (MD80 in-seat power supply is 15 Volts Direct Current (VDC), with a "cigar lighter" style outlet, limited to 75 watts of power. Some computers and devices with heavier power needs than 15 VDC and 75 Watts will not work, and may disable the powerport. Be aware power converters are "lossy" in converting DC to AC and may not serve your purpose. Those devices that specifically state they are limited to 12 VDC input may not be approved for 15 VDC use.

Some new or refurbished 737 and 757 aircraft are provided with 110 VAC powerports with standard two-prong US power outlets; all 757s and 737s (and probably Airbus) aircraft will eventually offer 110 VAC 75 Watt multiplug powerports.

From AA: "Use of powerports is permitted only when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet in altitude and the flight attendant announces that personal electronic devices are allowed. The use of powerports is at your own risk. American is not responsible for loss of data or damage to personal hardware or software."

On most aircraft, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets are located on your seat console, mounted to the seat frame below your seat cushion or near the seat back tray / tablet receptacle, in the seatback ahead of you, or inear the Bose headphone mi icsbunet door.. Look for the "lightning bolt" symbol on the overhead bin rows containing powerport-equipped seats. Splitter or Y adaptor cords may not be used. Only one device is allowed per outlet. System power is available when the green light on the outlet is illuminated.

Narrowbody Audio jacks are standard single-prong stereo mini-jacks (though newer aircraft are using three prong powered audio jacks).

aa.com also states "*AC adaptors are available for First and Business Class passengers on some flights: planes flying to/from Europe or South America."

N.B. Though a particular aircraft may be equipped with the new powerports, there are reports of flying on those and having the power not be available, or requiring a lot of fiddling around with the connection to make it work. A three prong UK adapter is used by some knowledgeable flyers.

Also be aware that many aircraft power outlets do not provide much power - 70~75 watts. That means some computers will be operable but will not charge, some may draw too much current (inverter, converter, power supply etc. with power losses and device) the outlet can overload and trigger the circuit breaker.

The USB converter is convenient, portable and well built, IMO - providing the usual USB 5 volts as well as 110 VAC via the USA plug adapter. (I take a very small cigar lighter body 12-15 VDC to two USB outlet converter in my bag if I’m flying on one of the few MD-80s.)

Last edited by JDiver; May 18, 2018 at 1:27 pm Reason: add mod note prior to splitting
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by JDiver

The Radio Shack converter is convenient, portable and well built, IMO - providing the usual USB 5 volts as well as 110 VAC via the USA plug adapter.

This is likely to be merged into the existing thread, sooner rather than later.
I have never used it on an AA 777 but yes it is a great product. I have probably logged as many hours on that USB in rental cars as in 763s where I have used it also.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by WChou
Used many inverters and this the best one so far. One AC outlet and one USB port. $20 at Radio Shack but works much better than the cheaper ones. Perspective is off so it appears bigger than it actually is. Also nice to have in rentals cars.
Is this the one pictured above?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3875385

Looks like the price went up to $29.99? Or is the one referenced above a different one?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:23 pm

Plane type 738?

I have an upcoming flight that indicates the type of plane is a 738. I don't see that listed on the "our aircraft" page and am wondering what type of power plugs there are and where. Is there another page I should be looking at or does anyone otherwise know the answer? Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Rookie3
I have an upcoming flight that indicates the type of plane is a 738. I don't see that listed on the "our aircraft" page and am wondering what type of power plugs there are and where. Is there another page I should be looking at or does anyone otherwise know the answer? Thanks.
738 is shorthand for 737-800. Power outlets on this plane are 110VAC.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-inverte...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Unfortunately, not all of them. The old yet-to-be-refurbished 738s still have the old DC cigarette lighter type. On the other hand, IMO, the old seats are more comfortable than the new sliders.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Sure; that would work. Just be aware of the 75 watt limitations - and any converter is "lossy" and uses current (so you have two - this one, and the black box power supply to your computer).

Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

It's shorthand for Boeing 737-823 in AA's case and far from all have been converted to 110 VAC (about half at this time, I believe, if they are converting them at the same time they are converting to the new, rounded hatch for the extended overhead storage lockers).

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:47 pm

Power Adapter for iPad

I just bought a 3rd generation iPad. Is there a power adapter for it that fits the AA seat power sockets. Targus does not make a power tip for the APD80US that I use for my HP laptop. Yes, it is possible to run down the iPad battery playing games on an ORD-PVG flight without going blind. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I believe this will work and it is very reasonably priced:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by OldTWAPlatGuy
I just bought a 3rd generation iPad. Is there a power adapter for it that fits the AA seat power sockets. Targus does not make a power tip for the APD80US that I use for my HP laptop. Yes, it is possible to run down the iPad battery playing games on an ORD-PVG flight without going blind. Thanks.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2...de=MTc0MjU4NjA
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The power ports I use on AA aircraft are AC power so I use the AC adapter that came with it.

Do they still have empower or cigar lighter ports on AA?

Note if so, those are 15V not 13.8V that a car lighter has so ensure an adapter accepts over 15V in which it may do.

Still, I thought the power ports changed to AC a while ago.

The one thing I find in that case is that they are recessed and at times hart to plug into so I use a 2-3 pin AC adapter (the kind designed to attach a ground wire to) and that extends the AC out an inch or so making plugging things in easier.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

No; many aircraft still use "cigar lighter" power outlets, as the 777 I flew on yesterday, 7AC, did in First.

Soon to move the the current thread...

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The power ports I use on AA aircraft are AC power so I use the AC adapter that came with it.

Do they still have empower or cigar lighter ports on AA?

Note if so, those are 15V not 13.8V that a car lighter has so ensure an adapter accepts over 15V in which it may do.

Still, I thought the power ports changed to AC a while ago.

The one thing I find in that case is that they are recessed and at times hart to plug into so I use a 2-3 pin AC adapter (the kind designed to attach a ground wire to) and that extends the AC out an inch or so making plugging things in easier.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The voltage tolerance on car power outlets is loose to nonexistent (since they were originally designed to light cigarettes, not power sensitive electronics). As a result, essentially any device designed to plug into a car adapter will be built to handle a wide range of voltages, typically 10V-24V, and should be fine on a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.