Wiki Posts
Search

Question for AA Crew: Your preference on Applause Certs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Question for AA Crew: Your preference on Applause Certs

Here is a question for any AA crew or employees out there....

Would you rather that I give all 8 applause certificates to the same person to increase their chances of getting something meaningful out of it? I understand these are used as "tickets" in a drawing.

Or do these certs also count towards your record somehow, i.e. the more certs you enter the better your status, etc.

When I received my first set of 8 certs I doled them out one at a time to great AA Employees. After reading a little about them on here, I think I might better just hand over all 8 of them the next time someone does something great.

PS - No, this is not the only way I recognize great service on AA. I just need to know the best way to hand out the certs.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Once an employee receives a certificate, they enter the number on the employee website and then they are eligible for the monthly drawing. I think 100 names a month are drawn and you win 25,000 AAdvantage miles
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by slpybear
I understand these are used as "tickets" in a drawing....
do these certs also count towards your record somehow, i.e. the more certs you enter the better your status, etc.
I think the OP understands that the certs are used in a drawing for miles--that doesn't seem to be his/her question.

Are certs also reflected on a crew member's HR file? Could they help said crewmember get a promotion?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by wlciii
I think the OP understands that the certs are used in a drawing for miles--that doesn't seem to be his/her question.

Are certs also reflected on a crew member's HR file? Could they help said crewmember get a promotion?
No, promotion is all seniority based. I guess it could get a f/a a promotion to in-flight manager (position in the office), but doubtful.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Great question, as I have mixed feelings about certs. Is giving someone a lottery ticket really the best way to thank them for great service? I'm still of the opinion that a letter to AA is still the most effective thanks for outstanding service.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
No, promotion is all seniority based. I guess it could get a f/a a promotion to in-flight manager (position in the office), but doubtful.
Well, I assume letters/emails to AA praising a crewmember are put in a file and somehow taken into consideration for promotions. Am I wrong? If I am, how is a nice letter any better than giving someone a cert? In that case I would prefer a chance at 25,000 miles over an email that gets me nothing.

The question then is: Are certs recorded in an HR file? If they are, then having received more than anyone else would be a good indicator of superior customer service and would probably have a positive effect on one's career (in the same way that I think letters do).
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:06 pm

I think the only way multiple certs helps would be in the drawing. If you gave multiples to someone and they counted for HR purposes, presumably it would be noticed that all of them came from the same person/incident and would be counted as one. Same with sending multiple copies of the same praising email.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:40 pm

The certs only count in the monthly drawing, they do not enter into the employee's file like a letter would. They have no bearing on promotion or advancement within the company. To answer the OP, yes, 8 chances are better than 1, but I personally feel that a letter is much more effective in praising good work.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
The certs only count in the monthly drawing, they do not enter into the employee's file like a letter would. They have no bearing on promotion or advancement within the company. To answer the OP, yes, 8 chances are better than 1, but I personally feel that a letter is much more effective in praising good work.
Put another way, the certs are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much.

I usually toss mine out when I get them. For exemplary service, I write.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Skylady is correct. Since FAs don't get promoted to anything (Flight Service Manager isn't consider a 'promotion') they don't get put into a HR file.

Sure, some FAs make copies of them to give to their service manager who do put those copies into their personnel file, but they have no weight for anything but to have a chance at 25,000 miles (if you're lucky)
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plt
Another related question:

I think AEpilot76 may have already given us a hint above, but does job performance play much or any role at all in the promotion of AA FAs? Or is it a "as long as you don't cause a plane crash, you're moving up the ladder" kind of job?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:19 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by vasantn
Put another way, the certs are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much.

I usually toss mine out when I get them. For exemplary service, I write.
after reading about them, i have stopped giving them out also. as an aa employee would you rather have them or do you view it as some sort of aa insult?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:38 pm

who is the contact for sending in praise letters?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ajohn
Another related question:

I think AEpilot76 may have already given us a hint above, but does job performance play much or any role at all in the promotion of AA FAs? Or is it a "as long as you don't cause a plane crash, you're moving up the ladder" kind of job?
There really is no ladder for FAs to move up. It is a seniority based system. Another position within the company would be like applying for any new job.
Hence, good letters look good in the file if one needs good references. I would take those letters to another job to show performance, if I were to seek other employment.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by rwilliams603
who is the contact for sending in praise letters?
Mail Drop 1606 HDQ
PO Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX
75261-9616

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.