Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge Renovation (2009-10)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
In my experience when the Brits take on duplicating "American" food such as hamburgers, pizza, tacos etc the results are distasteful.
Pizza and Tacos? Please don't say that these are American when you're in Italy or Mexico!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
In my experience when the Brits take on duplicating "American" food such as hamburgers, pizza, tacos etc the results are distasteful.
Originally Posted by Markie
Pizza and Tacos? Please don't say that these are American when you're in Italy or Mexico!
And to that, I'd add "when Americans take on duplicating 'Italian' food such as pizza, pasta etc the results are often distasteful".

Things like Chicago pizza pies, fried mozzarella sticks, most Italian-American dishes with large quantities of cheese and meat etc. are a far cry from genuine Italian food. I know many other people like these sorts of things, but they're not to my taste, and I get frustrated when I go to an "Italian" restaurant in the US and expect it to be Italian, only to find it's actually "Italian-American", which is quite different. (A similar issue occurs with "Chinese" as opposed to American-Chinese food...)
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Amen to that. These are the people who put corn niblets on pizza.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by salut0
And to that, I'd add "when Americans take on duplicating 'Italian' food such as pizza, pasta etc the results are often distasteful".

Things like Chicago pizza pies, fried mozzarella sticks, most Italian-American dishes with large quantities of cheese and meat etc. are a far cry from genuine Italian food. I know many other people like these sorts of things, but they're not to my taste, and I get frustrated when I go to an "Italian" restaurant in the US and expect it to be Italian, only to find it's actually "Italian-American", which is quite different. (A similar issue occurs with "Chinese" as opposed to American-Chinese food...)
I think Italian-American cuisine is its own food genre and should (and does) stand on its own merits as a cuisine.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by salut0
Indeed, I have often wondered how disappointed most American's must be when the pizza they get in Italy bears no resemblance to the 'real' stuff back home

I have no problems with the original ethic groups criticising presentations of their national food in the UK but it does add a rather humorous twist when it is American's laying claim to be the 'original'

I am happy to say that in that regard at least the food here is more likely to be closer to the true original version than to the 'American' version which is generally a good thing
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Amen to that. These are the people who put corn niblets on pizza.
..and add them to tuna sandwiches.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I think Italian-American cuisine is its own food genre and should (and does) stand on its own merits as a cuisine.
As does Mexican-American. You aren't going to find Nachos south of the border!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Um... just out of curiosity, is this thread any longer about:

"AA Announces Renovation Plans for LHR Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge"

or is it about various ethnic foods and how to access the lounges of other carriers?

Just sayin'...

Regards
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Um... just out of curiosity, is this thread any longer about:

"AA Announces Renovation Plans for LHR Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge"

or is it about various ethnic foods and how to access the lounges of other carriers?

Just sayin'...

Regards
Good point, I came here to try to find out if the Flagship Lounge is ever going to re-open!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu

Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Good point, I came here to try to find out if the Flagship Lounge is ever going to re-open!!!!
Well, in partial defense of those taking the thread off-topic, with the superior offerings in T3, I think that many people don't care. OK, maybe more explanation than defense

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SaksFirst Plat (hey, if we're listing loyalty programmes....)
Originally Posted by brp
Well, in partial defense of those taking the thread off-topic, with the superior offerings in T3, I think that many people don't care. OK, maybe more explanation than defense

Cheers.
Exactly...the BA Galleries First Lounge is just so far and away better than anything I have seen from AA, that it's hard to imagine the new FL will even come close. Besides, as for the ethnic food issue, at the BA lounge there's some pretty good tabbouleh and hummus anyway (and I'm half-Egyptian, I should know!!!).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Originally Posted by ugorightigoleft
Exactly...the BA Galleries First Lounge is just so far and away better than anything I have seen from AA, that it's hard to imagine the new FL will even come close. Besides, as for the ethnic food issue, at the BA lounge there's some pretty good tabbouleh and hummus anyway (and I'm half-Egyptian, I should know!!!).
Well, I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusion drawn by either of you, but to paraphrase a certain technology company, "There's a thread for that" and last I checked it's not (or at least wasn't supposed to be) this one.

Like larrywilmot747, when I see this thread bubble up, I'm curious what is going on; not necessarily that I'll frequent it, but still curious to see the end result.

Regards
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:30 pm

My wife (OW Emerald via JL) and son will be taking AA from LHR on 1 April. I know, the BA lounge is "better," but if the Flagship Lounge will be open, I'll suggest that anyway; nice to be there in case of IRROPS for ex.

Any news on its reopening date? Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by GaryD
My wife (OW Emerald via JL) and son will be taking AA from LHR on 1 April. I know, the BA lounge is "better," but if the Flagship Lounge will be open, I'll suggest that anyway; nice to be there in case of IRROPS for ex.

Any news on its reopening date? Thanks.
There is still hope it will be this decade, but any unforseen glitches and it could be the next.

Cheers Larry.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:39 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
At LHR T3 right now...according to AC staff, the Flagship Lounge is still scheduled to open "next month" (i.e. in April).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.