FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Do eVIP requests clear immediately if EF shows C7? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/911069-do-evip-requests-clear-immediately-if-ef-shows-c7.html)

riteshraja Jan 16, 2009 7:05 pm

I am looking into tickets ORD-DEL for mid-March and seeing C7. Is this a common occurence to have so many seats open to eVIP upgrades this far in advance?

oklAAhoma Jan 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 11091254)
You should have called back immediately after the 1st aagent told you that the itin had to be ticketed. Another aagent would have locked in the upgrade while it was on hold (see my earlier post).

Of course, he should have. And I'm sure he would have had he known the first agent was wrong. I'm also sure, now that he's read this thread, he will do so in the future.

Originally Posted by timfountain
Yep, I got one of those agents last month before I read this thread.

billgrates3 Jan 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Isn't FT RULE#1 "Call back if you don't like what the aagent is telling you!"??

oklAAhoma Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm

FYI - I have often had eVIP "C" upgrades clear without ever receiving an EF alert that I had previously setup.

As have I. Sometimes the availability comes and goes before EF is aware it existed. I did not intend to imply that setting up an EF alert guarantees results, only that it can help to improve one's chance of securing an upgrade.

oklAAhoma Jan 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja (Post 11091264)
I am looking into tickets ORD-DEL for mid-March and seeing C7. Is this a common occurence to have so many seats open to eVIP upgrades this far in advance?

IME availability varies so much from route to route, as well as from day to day on a given route, that it would be hard to define anything as common or uncommon.

dayone Jan 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 11091295)
Isn't FT RULE#1 "Call back if you don't like what the aagent is telling you!"??

Actually, that's FT Rule #2. FT Rule #1: "Don't believe everything that you read."

denCSA Jan 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 11088827)
Mine often clear when ExpertFlyer shows C0 or A0.

I recently tried to apply an eVIP to an itin where there was no C availability. I have access to SABRE, so went in and look at the reservation to make sure everything was waitlisted properly, and noticed that the EXP agent had queued my PNR to a 'market analyst' after the eVIP was applied and the availability was C0. 6 hours later a comment was placed in the PNR from the analyst: 'can not confirm.' So, apparently, if RM determines that it can't sell the seat for revenue, they will release the inventory and confirm your request. That's probably why upgrades get confirmed even when C=0

Gandhi90s Jan 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by denCSA (Post 11091559)
So, apparently, if RM determines that it can't sell the seat for revenue, they will release the inventory and confirm your request. That's probably why upgrades get confirmed even when C=0

Yep, that's pretty well known. But I think folks are talking about upgrades that clear without calls to RM when C=0, which is usually because of expanded (and invisible to mere mortals) C availabilty for EXPs.

OCJoe Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm

You should have called back immediately after the 1st aagent told you that the itin had to be ticketed. Another aagent would have locked in the upgrade while it was on hold (see my earlier post).

I really don't understand why they don't let EXPs apply their own eVIPs online (either at hold time or ticketing time) when the system knows that there is "C" and/or "A" inventory available????

FYI - I have often had eVIP "C" upgrades clear without ever receiving an EF alert that I had previously setup.

That just happened to me. I had already cleared the evip upgrade for my upcoming business trip LAX-SCL (via DFW) on 1/18. My return had not cleared as of this morning. When I checked my reservation this evening (return 1/23-SCL-MIA), my evip had cleared with no notification from EF, even though I had a EF alert set up.

HNL Jan 17, 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma (Post 11089346)
Yes, it is indeed possible. I've discovered, however, that there are a few EXP agents who are unaware it can be done.

Ding ding ding ding

IST_flyer Jan 17, 2009 3:35 am

Originally Posted by OCJoe (Post 11092087)
That just happened to me. I had already cleared the evip upgrade for my upcoming business trip LAX-SCL (via DFW) on 1/18. My return had not cleared as of this morning. When I checked my reservation this evening (return 1/23-SCL-MIA), my evip had cleared with no notification from EF, even though I had a EF alert set up.

When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct? It doesn't make sense to be waitlisted and get an alert.... I still set up alerts just to make sure that waitlist VIPs are put in place correctly.

Gandhi90s Jan 17, 2009 6:35 am

Originally Posted by IST_flyer (Post 11092452)
When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct?

No and no. :)

There is often a delay between C availability and C allocation.

EF polls periodically, not continuously.

Hagbard Viking Jan 17, 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s (Post 11092734)
No and no. :)

There is often a delay between C availability and C allocation.

EF polls periodically, not continuously.

Eh, I think you and IST_flyer are saying the same thing (i.e., yes and yes). Since EF doesn't poll continuously, it doesn't know when someone clears the waitlist, it will only notice availability if more seats open up than there were people waitlisted. If there are still people waitlisted after some clearing, C will be 0 and by the time EF polls there will be no availaibilty to notify anyone about.

oklAAhoma Jan 17, 2009 8:28 am

When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct?

I'm with Gandhi90s on this one, no and no.

EF shows C1 when it finds there is 1 available in the C bucket. Period. It has nothing to do with who has or has not been upgraded (or waitlisted).

It doesn't make sense to be waitlisted and get an alert.... I still set up alerts just to make sure that waitlist VIPs are put in place correctly.

While there are times my upgrade has cleared before EF was aware there was availability, there are other times when EF alerted me to availability and I was able to call in and grab the upgrade. Now, it's possible I would have automatically received that upgrade anyway and my call was unnecessary, but I prefer increasing the odds of upgrading however I can, so I set up alerts. EF has notified me of upgrade availability frequently enough that I find it makes perfect sense to use the program. Obviously YMMV.

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking (Post 11092763)
Since EF doesn't poll continuously, it doesn't know when someone clears the waitlist, it will only notice availability if more seats open up than there were people waitlisted.

As I said before, EF availability has nothing to do with the waitlist or upgrades. If there is availability when EF polls, an alert is sent. You seem to be under the impression that upgrades are issued the same instance availability is released. IME that is not how it works and there is frequently a time lag between the two events. It's on those ocasions that EF proves valuable.

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking (Post 11092763)
by the time EF polls there will be no availaibilty to notify anyone about

My experience leads me to believe that is not always the case.

Hagbard Viking Jan 17, 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma (Post 11093104)
You seem to be under the impression that upgrades are issued the same instance availability is released.

Yes, I was under the impression that the implementation of the waitlist was (correctly done) such that whoever is first on the waitlist gets served first when availability opens up. It seems I may have been overly optimistic...