FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Do eVIP requests clear immediately if EF shows C7? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/911069-do-evip-requests-clear-immediately-if-ef-shows-c7.html)

Gandhi90s Jan 17, 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking (Post 11093174)
Yes, I was under the impression that the implementation of the waitlist was (correctly done) such that whoever is first on the waitlist gets served first when availability opens up. It seems I may have been overly optimistic...

I believe so, based on my limited experience with eVIPs that have been gifted to me.

IST_flyer Jan 17, 2009 10:24 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma (Post 11093104)
While there are times my upgrade has cleared before EF was aware there was availability, there are other times when EF alerted me to availability and I was able to call in and grab the upgrade. Now, it's possible I would have automatically received that upgrade anyway and my call was unnecessary, but I prefer increasing the odds of upgrading however I can, so I set up alerts. EF has notified me of upgrade availability frequently enough that I find it makes perfect sense to use the program. Obviously YMMV.

As I said before, EF availability has nothing to do with the waitlist or upgrades. If there is availability when EF polls, an alert is sent. You seem to be under the impression that upgrades are issued the same instance availability is released. IME that is not how it works and there is frequently a time lag between the two events. It's on those ocasions that EF proves valuable.

wow, this is all news to me... so here is a hypothetical situation. Suppose we are both waitlisted for the same flight with the difference being that I requested before you so I'm ahead on the list. C1 becomes available but we have yet to be upgraded because there is a lag between upgrades made available and released. Then you get an alert and I don't. You call immediately, grab the seat and therefore jumps ahead of me on the list... could this happen?

What I've always thought was that if you are on the waitlist and you get an alert, that's because the agent screwed up somehow when setting up the VIP. Anyways, like I said before, I'm like you and always set up alerts just in case.

Gandhi90s Jan 17, 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by IST_flyer (Post 11093565)
wow, this is all news to me... so here is a hypothetical situation. Suppose we are both waitlisted for the same flight with the difference being that I requested before you so I'm ahead on the list. C1 becomes available but we have yet to be upgraded because there is a lag between upgrades made available and released. Then you get an alert and I don't. You call immediately, grab the seat and therefore jumps ahead of me on the list... could this happen?

What I've always thought was that if you are on the waitlist and you get an alert, that's because the agent screwed up somehow when setting up the VIP. Anyways, like I said before, I'm like you and always set up alerts just in case.

No comment. However, you are doing the smart and conservative thing by not relying on AA's ancient legacy computer systems. Remember, this is the airline that takes 4 days to post flight mileage. :)

Blumie Jan 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s (Post 11093849)
Remember, this is the airline that takes 4 days to post flight mileage.

Their computers are not that old. Mileage usually posts in three days, not four.

oklAAhoma Jan 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by IST_flyer (Post 11093565)
... could this happen?

I don't know. Generally when I have called, I am fairly sure I was next in line for the upgrade anyway. The system would have handled it automatically had I not called. I tend to buy my international tickets quite a ways in advance, so on the occasions I must be waitlisted, I am usually at (or very near) the top of that list. I probably give the alerts far too much credit, but hey, I have the subscription, so I might as well use it as much as possible. :)

sdsearch Jan 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking (Post 11093174)
Yes, I was under the impression that the implementation of the waitlist was (correctly done) such that whoever is first on the waitlist gets served first when availability opens up. It seems I may have been overly optimistic...

Doesn't status level have anything to do with it?

While expanded inventory may only apply to EXPs, C inventory applies to eVIPs whether by EXPs or anyone else (remember liftetime PLTs also receive eVIPs even if they've never been EXP), and C inventory also applies to mileage upgrade awards which are available to any status including none. Is it really as simple as the earliest waitlisted C inventory request of any type gets the next C that's available (as long as no one tries to get "out of order" by trying to "jump in" manually)?

Hagbard Viking Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 11094111)
Doesn't status level have anything to do with it?

While expanded inventory may only apply to EXPs, C inventory applies to eVIPs whether by EXPs or anyone else (remember liftetime PLTs also receive eVIPs even if they've never been EXP), and C inventory also applies to mileage upgrade awards which are available to any status including none. Is it really as simple as the earliest waitlisted C inventory request of any type gets the next C that's available (as long as no one tries to get "out of order" by trying to "jump in" manually)?

I may have worded my post poorly. "First on the waitlist" was not meant to say "first to get on the list" but rather "first in line" or "highest priority" on the waitlist.

aapltaa Jan 17, 2009 1:33 pm

my experience today!

Here's my story. I was looking for an eVIP upgrade on NRT/LAX (Jan 22). I bought the ticket and was put on the waiting list 1 month ago.

Today (5 days before departure), EF sent me an alert at 11:26AM (PST). I logged back and found C2 on EF, but my upgrade did not clear on AA though I only needed C1.

After reading this timely thread, I decided to call AA at 11:50AM (PST). The AAgent looked at my reservation and initially said it was still pending, then suddenly, she said "Wait, it's confirmed. Let me do the re-ticketing for you." After 10 mins, everything was done.

I'm not sure if I had jumped ahead of someone else, but the lag in clearing is real. Maybe it would have cleared had I been patient, but I feel more in control with EF alert and by calling AA right away.