FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Spanish Gate Displays! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/890794-spanish-gate-displays.html)

anaaflyer Nov 20, 2008 10:56 am

Spanish Gate Displays!

Leaving MIA this morning I noticed the gate monitor displays had messaging in both English and Spanish. Also noticed it at DFW. Pretty cool, although no habla espanol!

aamilesslave Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm

¡Ay caramba!

grahampros Nov 21, 2008 2:00 am

Yawn...

I'd rather see AA spend their IT buget on any number of other issues...ie fixing the break on the website that it does not store your Aadvantage number on AA. com.

BenjaminNYC Nov 21, 2008 2:07 am

Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian. It's always funny to hear about an American surprised about ANOTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH on display...been to Switzerland (which has four official languages, and it works just fine)? Probably not... :rolleyes:

BenjaminNYC Nov 21, 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by anaaflyer (Post 10784429)
Pretty cool, although no habla espanol!

Who doesn't speak Spanish (sic)? :confused:

njvandy Nov 21, 2008 2:25 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 10788677)

I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to himself in the third person. Pretty obnoxious if you ask me, since clearly he could not have had any other intention :p

mvoight Nov 21, 2008 2:33 am

Originally Posted by njvandy (Post 10788718)
I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to himself in the third person. Pretty obnoxious if you ask me, since clearly he could not have had any other intention :p

And, since he can't speak it, we wouldn't expect him to understand he shous have use "hablo".

I often think the town in Illinois called "San Jose" and "Jose" is pronounced like "Joe's". I won't even mention "Des Plaines"

alcathiax Nov 21, 2008 6:39 am

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 10788661)
Yawn...

I'd rather see AA spend their IT buget on any number of other issues...ie fixing the break on the website that it does not store your Aadvantage number on AA. com.

Which part of IT are you talking about? The hundreds of IT personnel (a mix of AA and EDS staff) in IT proper or the five or so folks in the IT part of Airport Operations who are already seriously overworked? The Airport Ops people are the ones who normally maintain AA.com, SABRE computers, check in kiosks, and other front-end people-facing mediums.

DataPlumber Nov 21, 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 10788670)
Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian.

Indeed, and I would venture that even more folks speak the various latin american dialects.

BAK Nov 21, 2008 8:49 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 10788670)
Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian. It's always funny to hear about an American surprised about ANOTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH on display...been to Switzerland (which has four official languages, and it works just fine)? Probably not... :rolleyes:

The comparison of US and Switzerland is pretty ridiculous (and yes I have lived in both countries). But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.

rrgg Nov 21, 2008 9:03 am

Originally Posted by BAK (Post 10789999)
But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.

As long as they stay bilingual.

A nearby Walgreens just changed their signage from English / Spanish to just Spanish. I live in New England!

magic111 Nov 21, 2008 9:15 am

Spansh is the 3rd most widely spoken language in the world today. There are studies out that indicate it will become the 2nd most widely spoken language after mandarin chinese surpassing english by 2050.

TMOliver Nov 21, 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by BAK (Post 10789999)
The comparison of US and Switzerland is pretty ridiculous (and yes I have lived in both countries). But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.

The largest ethnic group within the City of Dallas is not "Anglo/Gringo", but Hispanic, overwhelmingly Mexican American or Mexican (non US citizens, either legally or illegally resident). The same is true of Houston, although a substantial number are not of Mexican origin.

Several of the other cities in the DFW Metroplex have large Hispanic populations.

By 2030 or so, Hispanics will be in the Majority in Texas, especially in major cities, of which Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are among the nation's 10 largest.

Dallas49er Nov 21, 2008 10:15 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 10788677)

Me.

8 years of French, 3 years of Mandarin, and not one stinkin' minute of Spanish. Can I communicate with my yard people or my housekeepers?

NOOOOOOO! :D

kabroui Nov 21, 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 10788737)
And, since he can't speak it, we wouldn't expect him to understand he shous have use "hablo".

I often think the town in Illinois called "San Jose" and "Jose" is pronounced like "Joe's". I won't even mention "Des Plaines"

I think Des Plaines is french. In spanish it would be los llanos.