Spanish Gate Displays!

Old Nov 20, 08, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Spanish Gate Displays!

Leaving MIA this morning I noticed the gate monitor displays had messaging in both English and Spanish. Also noticed it at DFW. Pretty cool, although no habla espanol!
Old Nov 20, 08, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
¡Ay caramba!
Old Nov 21, 08, 3:00 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Yawn...

I'd rather see AA spend their IT buget on any number of other issues...ie fixing the break on the website that it does not store your Aadvantage number on AA. com.
Old Nov 21, 08, 3:07 am
Suspended

Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian. It's always funny to hear about an American surprised about ANOTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH on display...been to Switzerland (which has four official languages, and it works just fine)? Probably not...
Old Nov 21, 08, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anaaflyer View Post
Pretty cool, although no habla espanol!
Who doesn't speak Spanish (sic)?
Old Nov 21, 08, 3:25 am

Programs: AA LT GLD (bitter fmr EXP), SPG Gold, HH Gold, UA Plastic
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to himself in the third person. Pretty obnoxious if you ask me, since clearly he could not have had any other intention
Old Nov 21, 08, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by njvandy View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to himself in the third person. Pretty obnoxious if you ask me, since clearly he could not have had any other intention
And, since he can't speak it, we wouldn't expect him to understand he shous have use "hablo".

I often think the town in Illinois called "San Jose" and "Jose" is pronounced like "Joe's". I won't even mention "Des Plaines"
Old Nov 21, 08, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
Yawn...

I'd rather see AA spend their IT buget on any number of other issues...ie fixing the break on the website that it does not store your Aadvantage number on AA. com.
Which part of IT are you talking about? The hundreds of IT personnel (a mix of AA and EDS staff) in IT proper or the five or so folks in the IT part of Airport Operations who are already seriously overworked? The Airport Ops people are the ones who normally maintain AA.com, SABRE computers, check in kiosks, and other front-end people-facing mediums.
Old Nov 21, 08, 9:18 am

Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian.
Indeed, and I would venture that even more folks speak the various latin american dialects.
Old Nov 21, 08, 9:49 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Good, since so many people in the USA speak Castilian. It's always funny to hear about an American surprised about ANOTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH on display...been to Switzerland (which has four official languages, and it works just fine)? Probably not...
The comparison of US and Switzerland is pretty ridiculous (and yes I have lived in both countries). But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.
Old Nov 21, 08, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BAK View Post
But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.
As long as they stay bilingual.

A nearby Walgreens just changed their signage from English / Spanish to just Spanish. I live in New England!
Old Nov 21, 08, 10:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Spansh is the 3rd most widely spoken language in the world today. There are studies out that indicate it will become the 2nd most widely spoken language after mandarin chinese surpassing english by 2050.
Old Nov 21, 08, 11:05 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
The comparison of US and Switzerland is pretty ridiculous (and yes I have lived in both countries). But it seems that the bilingual displays are becoming a necessity, and should help with boarding issues.
The largest ethnic group within the City of Dallas is not "Anglo/Gringo", but Hispanic, overwhelmingly Mexican American or Mexican (non US citizens, either legally or illegally resident). The same is true of Houston, although a substantial number are not of Mexican origin.

Several of the other cities in the DFW Metroplex have large Hispanic populations.

By 2030 or so, Hispanics will be in the Majority in Texas, especially in major cities, of which Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are among the nation's 10 largest.
Old Nov 21, 08, 11:15 am

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Me.

8 years of French, 3 years of Mandarin, and not one stinkin' minute of Spanish. Can I communicate with my yard people or my housekeepers?

NOOOOOOO!
Old Nov 21, 08, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
And, since he can't speak it, we wouldn't expect him to understand he shous have use "hablo".

I often think the town in Illinois called "San Jose" and "Jose" is pronounced like "Joe's". I won't even mention "Des Plaines"

I think Des Plaines is french. In spanish it would be los llanos.

Search this Thread