Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAgent changed reservations... AAdvice needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Angry AAgent changed reservations... AAdvice needed

Dear Gurus, advice is required. Sorry if O/T.

I am Platinum with 5 million miles accumulated. Many of them travel miles.

I was booked on Cathay LAX - HKG via Vancouver, with a return date of April 18th. Reservation was made around March 3rd.
Business class award ticket.

I called in on March 14th to see if anything had opened up for the nonstop LAX-HKG, and the agent told me she could get me on the HKG-SFO-SNA flight, which worked out better.
But the agent had looked up MARCH 18 instead of APRIL 18.

When I called AA to check on the overall status, I was told that “I had called back to change the flight”: I had not called back, I was not able to call back at the time, and would not have done so.

Now none of the flights are available, so I am stuck with missing an important event in HKG, and I do not have the flexibility to delay my return either.

So now I miss one of my key meetings in HGK as the other flights are not available, and customer service is “sorry”…. When one of their agents messed up, then said I had called back to change it.

If it were my business, I would take ownership, admit the mistake, and rebook the passenger on a revenue ticket.

For me to buy the ticket would be over $6K R/T.

Of course, I have talked to “the supervisor on duty” twice. They keep on saying that there is no inventory on the flights, so nothing they can do, other than ask Cathay to release inventory.

Any options or ideas? HKG-NRT-LAX does not work either. Checked already.

Thanks in advance for the AAdvice.

FrAAnk…
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have you looked at a return routing via Osaka? Something like:
HKG-KIX-HNL-LAX? I have award travel to the Olympics via Osaka in both directions, as it was the only connection that would work.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Call AA and ask to speak to Web Services, not regular reservations. Sometimes they can fix these things, it may be a long shot given that it is a CX flight, not AA.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:15 pm
Suspended

I had an experience like this on a RTW ticket with the res agent losing an A class seat. They basically took no responsibility.

Other options:

HKG-NRT-YVR/SFO/LAX/LAS/HNL/DFW/ORD-SNA on CX or JL HKG/NRT and then some combination of JL/AA transpacific.

HKG-PVG-ORD-SNA (Dragonair HKG-PVG) and then AA

Also via KIX or NGO to HNL

While you may loose CX, these options might get you back from your meeting
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Call AA and ask to speak to Web Services, not regular reservations. Sometimes they can fix these things, it may be a long shot given that it is a CX flight, not AA.
Why would Web Services get involved for a non web reservation?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would Web Services get involved for a non web reservation?
As long as the OP has a PNR and was able to access his/her reservation online, Web Services can and will access the record and review particulars in a way that customer service will not.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:14 am
Suspended

As long as the OP has a PNR and was able to access his/her reservation online, Web Services can and will access the record and review particulars in a way that customer service will not.
The problem is the agent lost CX inventory which AA doesn't control. AA would have to contact CX to see if they would open more space in that inventory.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The problem is the agent lost CX inventory which AA doesn't control. AA would have to contact CX to see if they would open more space in that inventory.
I guess I should clarify. I agree the CX flight is loonnggg gone. The best the OP can hope for is that AA acknowledges the mistake and opens up inventory under their control in order to get him/her to HKG.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:44 am
Suspended

I guess I should clarify. I agree the CX flight is loonnggg gone. The best the OP can hope for is that AA acknowledges the mistake and opens up inventory under their control in order to get him/her to HKG.
gotcha - one would think a HKG-NRT flight on CX/JL and then some type of AA combo NRT-US would be possible and as you said, assuming there is space on the HKG-NRT segment, AA should make the transPac work on their own metal since it was their error.

For the OP, if there is not J class inventory HKG-NRT, you can volunteer to take a downgrade on that segment and waitlist. My experience is it will clear close to departure, at least w RTW tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs: I had to issue the ticket last night, got the HKG-NRT-LAX (CX-JL) routing.
I'll go back again to request a change to the HKG-LAX.
When I had asked, they said the CX inventory was not available.... hope it opens up, but I think the chances are slim.
I tried to reach web services, requested the option, but once I gave my AA #, the phone system put me through to the PLT desk.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Irvine
Thanks for the inputs: I had to issue the ticket last night, got the HKG-NRT-LAX (CX-JL) routing.
I'll go back again to request a change to the HKG-LAX.
When I had asked, they said the CX inventory was not available.... hope it opens up, but I think the chances are slim.
I tried to reach web services, requested the option, but once I gave my AA #, the phone system put me through to the PLT desk.
Keep calling. I recently was able to get 4 award tickets to SIN/HKG on a combination of carriers. I really wanted all 4 of us to get the HKG-SFO return on Jan 2- no date flexibility- 2F/2J. Pretty near impossible, the wisdom says. And it was tough. Was calling twice daily from SIN and HKG (cheap SIM cards help). Constructing piece-by-piece. In the end got all 4 premium awards on the same HKG-SFO.

The main thing for you to do, IMO (besides calling) is to get them to confirm their error so there will be no change fee for the reroute if the availability does show up.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Keep calling until you get a supervisor who will call Cathay to open up inventory. I had a similar incident with Continental when I booked an award ticket through them for a Delta flight.

I called until I got a supervisor who then conferenced in a Delta supervisor. I was on hold for nearly an hour but they ironed out the issue.

It sounds like that's the approach American needs to take on this as well. Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
The main thing for you to do, IMO (besides calling) is to get them to confirm their error so there will be no change fee for the reroute if the availability does show up.

Cheers.
Thanks. They did agree to waive any charges for changing routing, or for reinstating the award in case I do have to cancel.
I'll try to keep on calling: just so busy at work at the moment (which is a good thing!) Difficult to try to find the time to do this.
Calling in on Sunday from the car I dropped the call 4 times.
Thanks for the tips, folks.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Irvine
Thanks. They did agree to waive any charges for changing routing, or for reinstating the award in case I do have to cancel.
I'll try to keep on calling: just so busy at work at the moment (which is a good thing!) Difficult to try to find the time to do this.
Calling in on Sunday from the car I dropped the call 4 times.
Thanks for the tips, folks.
Good to hear. Try calling later in the evening - so you'll get the Tucson call center, they are extremely capable. I'm sure someone here knows when they take over the EXP lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.