FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Question on change fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/786915-question-change-fee.html)

rylan Feb 4, 2008 6:36 pm

Question on change fee

I booked a flight several months ago from BOS-AUA in econ. I'd like to switch to business class... will AA charge a fee for going from coach to biz on the same dates/flight?
I've done this a few times on DL and they don't charge for changing from Y to F, but I was wondering what my chance of AA doing the same is.

brp Feb 4, 2008 6:54 pm

The rules say yes (even though the rules are stupid in this case). I'd suggest calling a few times until you get someone who is willing to take your additional money without charging you more additional money for the privilege.

Cheers.

cjskids Feb 4, 2008 7:00 pm

They will always charge, I've had it done the last few trips to me when I've changed to business class after the fact and I've called back a few times and always get the same answer. AA informed me that anytime any change is made a a new ticket is issued, it's a change and therefore a fee is charged.

UDUNNOME Feb 4, 2008 7:00 pm

Just an add on question.. an EXP next to me in F on a flight said that as long as the fares were still good, I could make a duplicate reservation and call to play dumb, and cancel the unwanted one. Any other experiences with this?

rylan Feb 4, 2008 7:30 pm

Oh something interesting... I just got an email that there is a schedule change to my itinerary. Think taking advantage of that will work to get the change fee waived?

CandymanJim Feb 4, 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 9191700)
Oh something interesting... I just got an email that there is a schedule change to my itinerary. Think taking advantage of that will work to get the change fee waived?

Depends on the amount of time change. I have found this useful and was able to rebook. It really depends on the change. I believe I read it needs to be more than an hour, but I have found if it the change isnt just a few minutes, you can call and get a sympathetic CSR and get them to change it, route and all, in my recent case, even when booked in T and able to rebook in Y.

Jim

rylan Feb 4, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info. My flights changed by 35 min outgoing, and 50 min coming back so maybe its close enough. I'll see what happens.

mvoight Feb 8, 2008 3:01 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 9191403)
I booked a flight several months ago from BOS-AUA in econ. I'd like to switch to business class... will AA charge a fee for going from coach to biz on the same dates/flight?
I've done this a few times on DL and they don't charge for changing from Y to F, but I was wondering what my chance of AA doing the same is.

I am a bit confused.
2 days before posting this, you said (in the DL Forum)

"I booked a business class to Europe and one of the segment was in economy. Couple days ago, the segment opened up and I was able to re-ticket from econ to biz. Delta charged me $75 for changing the ticket"