Question on change fee

Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Question on change fee

I booked a flight several months ago from BOS-AUA in econ. I'd like to switch to business class... will AA charge a fee for going from coach to biz on the same dates/flight?
I've done this a few times on DL and they don't charge for changing from Y to F, but I was wondering what my chance of AA doing the same is.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The rules say yes (even though the rules are stupid in this case). I'd suggest calling a few times until you get someone who is willing to take your additional money without charging you more additional money for the privilege.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:00 pm

They will always charge, I've had it done the last few trips to me when I've changed to business class after the fact and I've called back a few times and always get the same answer. AA informed me that anytime any change is made a a new ticket is issued, it's a change and therefore a fee is charged.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA PLT/AC
Just an add on question.. an EXP next to me in F on a flight said that as long as the fares were still good, I could make a duplicate reservation and call to play dumb, and cancel the unwanted one. Any other experiences with this?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh something interesting... I just got an email that there is a schedule change to my itinerary. Think taking advantage of that will work to get the change fee waived?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by rylan
Oh something interesting... I just got an email that there is a schedule change to my itinerary. Think taking advantage of that will work to get the change fee waived?
Depends on the amount of time change. I have found this useful and was able to rebook. It really depends on the change. I believe I read it needs to be more than an hour, but I have found if it the change isnt just a few minutes, you can call and get a sympathetic CSR and get them to change it, route and all, in my recent case, even when booked in T and able to rebook in Y.

Jim
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My flights changed by 35 min outgoing, and 50 min coming back so maybe its close enough. I'll see what happens.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
I booked a flight several months ago from BOS-AUA in econ. I'd like to switch to business class... will AA charge a fee for going from coach to biz on the same dates/flight?
I've done this a few times on DL and they don't charge for changing from Y to F, but I was wondering what my chance of AA doing the same is.
I am a bit confused.
2 days before posting this, you said (in the DL Forum)

"I booked a business class to Europe and one of the segment was in economy. Couple days ago, the segment opened up and I was able to re-ticket from econ to biz. Delta charged me $75 for changing the ticket"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.