Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
quick question:

it shows that a fare in "Q" class on AA earns 100% mileage accrual -- does that count as 100% milage accrual for keeping plat. status? Also, would I earn bonus "plat" miles even if I book the ticket before I become "plat"?

thanks for the help in advance....
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by anaggie
quick question:

it shows that a fare in "Q" class on AA earns 100% mileage accrual -- does that count as 100% milage accrual for keeping plat. status? Also, would I earn bonus "plat" miles even if I book the ticket before I become "plat"?

thanks for the help in advance....
1) Assuming you mean a domestic Q fare, then YES you get 100% miles (as does almost all other fares on AA).

2) Booking/ticketing matters not. You get bonus miles based on what status you are when you TRAVEL on that flight.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
1) Assuming you mean a domestic Q fare, then YES you get 100% miles (as does almost all other fares on AA).

2) Booking/ticketing matters not. You get bonus miles based on what status you are when you TRAVEL on that flight.

thanks ice trojan...

does the 100% mileage count toward keeping AA plat status for the following year or is it counted as 50% points? it is a domestic fare....

this is confusing
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
does the 100% mileage count toward keeping AA plat status for the following year or is it counted as 50% points?
Yes, it can be a bit confusing at first. But don't worry sooner or later it begins to make sense (sort of ).

Because you can qualify/requalify by miles or points (or segments), then either the miles or the points can count towards keeping your PLT status. It just depends on which counter gets to 50K first. (Or neither if you fly 60 segments before you make it by miles or points.)

If you fly a lot of the .5 EQP fares then you will reach PLT sooner by miles and should concentrate on earning those. If on the other hand you purchase quite a few of the fares that earn 1.5 EQP, you will reach PLT quicker by points so you should try to maximize those whenever possible.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

thanks ice trojan...

does the 100% mileage count toward keeping AA plat status for the following year or is it counted as 50% points? it is a domestic fare....

this is confusing
Both. Elite Qualifying Miles and EQPoints are two different things.

EQM = the actual miles you fly, with a 500 mi min.
EQP = depends on fare paid (and thus generally depends on how much you spent: 0.5x for cheap, 1.0 for regular, 1.5 for expensive) x actual miles, 500 min.

You gain status whenever your EQM or EQP crosses the threshold, whichever comes first.

EDIT - oklAAhoma beat me to it.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:17 am

I have read the rules a few times and still have questions regarding challenges. I apologize to those I might offend by asking (I did read and did search). Basically we are on the following flights...

AA 433 PBI to DFW Booking Cat G
AA2427 DFW to LAX Booking Cat G
AA7364 LAX to SYD Booking Cat M
AA1994 SFO to DFW Booking Cat G
AA2002 DFW to PBI Booking Cat G

Now if I read the challenge right we are only going to be able to go for Gold challenge. I ask because we will have more flight toward end of year but only these flights in next three months. Thanks in advance for advise.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:16 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Hmm, using Mileage Marker for the distances and the AA Mileage earning table

AA 433 PBI/DFW, mileage = 1,100; G class = 50% EQM's & EQP's
AA2427 DFW/LAX, mileage = 1,230; G class = 50% EQM's & EQP's
AA7364 LAX/SYD, mileage = 7,490; M class = 100% EQM's & EQP's
AA1994 SFO/DFW, mileage = 1,460; G class = 50% EQM's & EQP's
AA2002 DFW/PBI, mileage = 1,100; G class = 50% EQM's & EQP's

On just the outbound flights (PBI/DFW/LAX/SYD) that's 8,655 EQP's; so you are achieving a Gold Challenge from those flights. On the information above, you'd achieve Gold on the LAX/SYD sector and end up back in PBI with 9,935 EQP's - a sneeze away from Plat. A pity that you don't achieve the Plat Challenge - are there any more flights you can add before this trip to kick it over the 10K EQP's??

I notice there is no flight SYD/SFO mentioned - did you miss inserting it into your listing?? There is a QF direct flight now which probably has an AA codeshare, that's really the one you want to achieve the Plat Challenge on, with the 100% bonus based on ~7,420 miles)

Last edited by QF WP; Mar 22, 2006 at 7:39 am Reason: changing comment, originally wrong
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PediRN
Now if I read the challenge right we are only going to be able to go for Gold challenge.
According to my calculations you will be about 47 EQP short for a PLT challenge. (But math in the morning is not my strong suit, so I my be off a few miles.)

AA 433 PBI to DFW Booking Cat G = 551 EQP (1102 x .5)
AA2427 DFW to LAX Booking Cat G = 617 EQP (1233 x .5)
AA7364 LAX to SYD Booking Cat M = 7502 EQP
AA1994 SFO to DFW Booking Cat G = 732 EQP (1463 x .5)
AA2002 DFW to PBI Booking Cat G = 551 EQP (1102 x .5)

Total = 9953 EQP

I see two options. Sign up for the GLD challenge or fly one more trip during the challenge period.

Good luck.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by QF WP
G class = 100% EQM's & EQP's
Actually G fares only earn .5x EQP.

http://www.aa.com/content/AAdvantage...irements.jhtml
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:31 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thanks oklAAhoma for pointing out my mistake - I bow to the considerable weight of fact (being an AA web page)...I hadn't seen that table before. Now it's safely ensconced in my Favourites.

I notice that the page that I referenced is still showing on AA.com, yet it is clearly wrong and has been for almost 3 months - nice work AA IT boffins .
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:37 am

I notice that the page that I referenced is still showing on AA.com, yet it is clearly wrong and has been for almost 3 months
I tried the link you posted and was redirected to the mileage earning chart but I see no reference to points on that page.

(Interestingly though, the page you linked has the info stating no UGs on I an O fares that I was looking for that the other day. I searched high and low but could not find it any where. Now I have bookmarked your link.)
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks oklAAhoma for pointing out my mistake - I bow to the considerable weight of fact (being an AA web page)...I hadn't seen that table before. Now it's safely ensconced in my Favourites.

I notice that the page that I referenced is still showing on AA.com, yet it is clearly wrong and has been for almost 3 months - nice work AA IT boffins .
It seems that you've somehow linked to an old, oudated page. As noted by oklAAhoma, the correct information is available by following "normal" channels. This is likely the reason it has not been noticed by AA- very few go there since a circuitous route is involved.

I would suggest allerting them to this. I've done this in the past with information inconsistent between several pages and they were quick to fix it. Seems like they'd just need to fix the redirect here.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PediRN
Wish I could get another flight in but can't see it happening. Our next scheduled AA flights are Sept/Oct. But Gold is better than nothing. And there is no flight between Syd - Sfo as we will return to states via cruise ship.
I beg to differ.... GLD while just barely short of PLT is almost worth than nothing.

In any case, are you saying you don't have time to do a quick random trip somewhere in the ~90 days?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
In any case, are you saying you don't have time to do a quick random trip somewhere in the ~90 days?
I was wondering the same thing. Just one little ol' one way ticket PBI-MIA/TPA/anywhere would earn (at least) the minimum 500 EQP needed. The return leg of a round trip from PBI to anywhere would be all gravy.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Glold, Marriot Silver, Skymiles, NWA, United, Free Spirit, Jet Blue
Exclamation Great stuff

Love it! Will you be including information on paying to keep your status? I got an email this year to pay $299 to keep my gold status (I missed by 1,500 miles). I didn't pay the $$ because I was going to do the Plat. challenge, but I was wondering if this was a one time thing or if AA was planning to do it again next year?

- Thanks for the good info.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.