FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Good Mexican resorts that AA flies to? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/654615-good-mexican-resorts-aa-flies.html)

kebosabi Jan 31, 2007 10:36 am

Good Mexican resorts that AA flies to?

I'm considering buying my friend and his new wife a trip for two to a Mexican resort for there honeymoon by using some of the gift certificates that I have.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with Mexican resorts.

Checking the places that AA flies to, the places that would seem logical by name popularity would be Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, or Acapulco (but then again, I never travelled there so I don't know of the details)

Where do you guys think would be a nice place for like a three day excursion?

Blumie Jan 31, 2007 10:37 am

Are you just buying the flight, or also the accommodations once they get there? What's the budget for the accommodations?

DataPlumber Jan 31, 2007 10:41 am

Zihuatanejo, or Puerto Vallarta would be the top choices in Mexico, IMO. I cannot speak to Acapulco.

The rest are more tourist traps than not. Which is not to say they are bad for most folks, but nothing all that special.

kebosabi Jan 31, 2007 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 7129485)
Are you just buying the flight, or also the accommodations once they get there? What's the budget for the accommodations?

A nice hotel, not too expensive, but not too shabby. Maybe ~$300 night should be adequate.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 7129519)
Zihuatanejo, or Puerto Vallarta would be the top choices in Mexico, IMO. I cannot speak to Acapulco.

The rest are more tourist traps than not. Which is not to say they are bad for most folks, but nothing all that special.

Zihuatanejo. Wasn't that the place where Andy Dufresne went to in the movie Shawshank Redemption? Sounds like a nice place. I'll check up on that.

JGR01 Jan 31, 2007 10:50 am

A honeymoon is a VERY personal thing.

Before any more investigations of WHERE in Mexico .. I strongly suggest you ask the couple involved.

Its a great gesture .. but one that could easily backfire. She wants a romantic place with tropical breazes while He wants sport fishing and no shopping.... well that influences the destination.

ASK them the destination and then work on the hotel and air details.

DataPlumber Jan 31, 2007 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 7129525)
Zihuatanejo. Wasn't that the place where Andy Dufresne went to in the movie Shawshank Redemption? Sounds like a nice place. I'll check up on that.

Indeed, just avoid Ixtapa which is where all of the large, concrete, monolith hotels are located. The hotel Villa de Sol and La Casa que Cantina are probably the two nicest properties in ZIH. I am not familiar with what AAV offers though. Good Luck

kebosabi Jan 31, 2007 11:03 am

Originally Posted by JGR01 (Post 7129584)
A honeymoon is a VERY personal thing.

Before any more investigations of WHERE in Mexico .. I strongly suggest you ask the couple involved.

Its a great gesture .. but one that could easily backfire. She wants a romantic place with tropical breazes while He wants sport fishing and no shopping.... well that influences the destination.

ASK them the destination and then work on the hotel and air details.

Well, that would kind of ruin the surprise. Anyway to break it out more softly without giving them hints?

1AAFlyer Jan 31, 2007 11:04 am

Mexico Resorts

When is the wedding? if it is in the summer you may be able to get a room in a fabulous resort for a lot less. I have travelled in Mexico extensively, but I need to know timing to advise.

SAN-man Jan 31, 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 7129519)

I wouldn't rule out CUN, if only to get to Riviera Maya. There are some phenomenal resorts down there, on uncrowded pristine beaches - it's really nothing like Cancun itself. Maroma and the new Fairmont Mayakoba are both wonderful, and only a 30-40 minute ride from the airport. IMO, CUN airfare is usually much cheaper than the other Mexican airports too.

kebosabi Jan 31, 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer (Post 7129690)
When is the wedding? if it is in the summer you may be able to get a room in a fabulous resort for a lot less. I have travelled in Mexico extensively, but I need to know timing to advise.

The wedding is in March, but they don't plan to do a honeymoon whatsoever as their budget is tied. So, a summer surprise honeymoon is what I have in mind.

Originally Posted by SAN-man (Post 7129705)
I wouldn't rule out CUN, if only to get to Riviera Maya. There are some phenomenal resorts down there, on uncrowded pristine beaches - it's really nothing like Cancun itself. Maroma and the new Fairmont Mayakoba are both wonderful, and only a 30-40 minute ride from the airport. IMO, CUN airfare is usually much cheaper than the other Mexican airports too.

I'll say! The airfare from LAX-SJD, LAX-MZT, LAX-ZIH aren't so bad, it's the taxes that are the b****!

ScreenGuy Jan 31, 2007 11:20 am

Shameless timeshare week selling

I have some unused weeks in a timeshare in PVR... PM if you're interested.

CloudCoder Jan 31, 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 7129479)
I'm considering buying my friend and his new wife a trip for two to a Mexican resort for there honeymoon by using some of the gift certificates that I have.

Will it be coach, or first class? I'm thinking a honeymoon couple would enjoy first class more, as this lets them have the warm nuts sooner.

kebosabi Jan 31, 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy (Post 7129990)
Will it be coach, or first class? I'm thinking a honeymoon couple would enjoy first class more, as this lets them have the warm nuts sooner.

If I buy the ticket, can i upgrade them using my stickers that I have banked? Or is that only doable when the PLT member will be travelling with them? If not, I'll have to see about the F fare.

spurg Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm

fly into los cabos and stay at the palmilla.
or, even better, fly into BZE and stay at cayo espanto

CloudCoder Jan 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 7130089)
If I buy the ticket, can i upgrade them using my stickers that I have banked? Or is that only doable when the PLT member will be travelling with them? If not, I'll have to see about the F fare.

Elite must be traveling with companion in order to upgrade them with stickers.

You can buy a coach ticket and use miles to upgrade. Or, use miles for FC tickets. Or buy FC outright. Or make 'em fly in coach.