Good Mexican resorts that AA flies to?

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Good Mexican resorts that AA flies to?

I'm considering buying my friend and his new wife a trip for two to a Mexican resort for there honeymoon by using some of the gift certificates that I have.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with Mexican resorts.

Checking the places that AA flies to, the places that would seem logical by name popularity would be Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, or Acapulco (but then again, I never travelled there so I don't know of the details)

Where do you guys think would be a nice place for like a three day excursion?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Are you just buying the flight, or also the accommodations once they get there? What's the budget for the accommodations?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 am

Zihuatanejo, or Puerto Vallarta would be the top choices in Mexico, IMO. I cannot speak to Acapulco.

The rest are more tourist traps than not. Which is not to say they are bad for most folks, but nothing all that special.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Blumie
Are you just buying the flight, or also the accommodations once they get there? What's the budget for the accommodations?
A nice hotel, not too expensive, but not too shabby. Maybe ~$300 night should be adequate.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Zihuatanejo, or Puerto Vallarta would be the top choices in Mexico, IMO. I cannot speak to Acapulco.

The rest are more tourist traps than not. Which is not to say they are bad for most folks, but nothing all that special.
Zihuatanejo. Wasn't that the place where Andy Dufresne went to in the movie Shawshank Redemption? Sounds like a nice place. I'll check up on that.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:50 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
A honeymoon is a VERY personal thing.

Before any more investigations of WHERE in Mexico .. I strongly suggest you ask the couple involved.

Its a great gesture .. but one that could easily backfire. She wants a romantic place with tropical breazes while He wants sport fishing and no shopping.... well that influences the destination.

ASK them the destination and then work on the hotel and air details.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Zihuatanejo. Wasn't that the place where Andy Dufresne went to in the movie Shawshank Redemption? Sounds like a nice place. I'll check up on that.
Indeed, just avoid Ixtapa which is where all of the large, concrete, monolith hotels are located. The hotel Villa de Sol and La Casa que Cantina are probably the two nicest properties in ZIH. I am not familiar with what AAV offers though. Good Luck
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
A honeymoon is a VERY personal thing.

Before any more investigations of WHERE in Mexico .. I strongly suggest you ask the couple involved.

Its a great gesture .. but one that could easily backfire. She wants a romantic place with tropical breazes while He wants sport fishing and no shopping.... well that influences the destination.

ASK them the destination and then work on the hotel and air details.
Well, that would kind of ruin the surprise. Anyway to break it out more softly without giving them hints?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Mexico Resorts

When is the wedding? if it is in the summer you may be able to get a room in a fabulous resort for a lot less. I have travelled in Mexico extensively, but I need to know timing to advise.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

I wouldn't rule out CUN, if only to get to Riviera Maya. There are some phenomenal resorts down there, on uncrowded pristine beaches - it's really nothing like Cancun itself. Maroma and the new Fairmont Mayakoba are both wonderful, and only a 30-40 minute ride from the airport. IMO, CUN airfare is usually much cheaper than the other Mexican airports too.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
When is the wedding? if it is in the summer you may be able to get a room in a fabulous resort for a lot less. I have travelled in Mexico extensively, but I need to know timing to advise.
The wedding is in March, but they don't plan to do a honeymoon whatsoever as their budget is tied. So, a summer surprise honeymoon is what I have in mind.

Originally Posted by SAN-man
I wouldn't rule out CUN, if only to get to Riviera Maya. There are some phenomenal resorts down there, on uncrowded pristine beaches - it's really nothing like Cancun itself. Maroma and the new Fairmont Mayakoba are both wonderful, and only a 30-40 minute ride from the airport. IMO, CUN airfare is usually much cheaper than the other Mexican airports too.
I'll say! The airfare from LAX-SJD, LAX-MZT, LAX-ZIH aren't so bad, it's the taxes that are the b****!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Shameless timeshare week selling

I have some unused weeks in a timeshare in PVR... PM if you're interested.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:51 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm considering buying my friend and his new wife a trip for two to a Mexican resort for there honeymoon by using some of the gift certificates that I have.
Will it be coach, or first class? I'm thinking a honeymoon couple would enjoy first class more, as this lets them have the warm nuts sooner.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Will it be coach, or first class? I'm thinking a honeymoon couple would enjoy first class more, as this lets them have the warm nuts sooner.
If I buy the ticket, can i upgrade them using my stickers that I have banked? Or is that only doable when the PLT member will be travelling with them? If not, I'll have to see about the F fare.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
fly into los cabos and stay at the palmilla.
or, even better, fly into BZE and stay at cayo espanto
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:28 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If I buy the ticket, can i upgrade them using my stickers that I have banked? Or is that only doable when the PLT member will be travelling with them? If not, I'll have to see about the F fare.
Elite must be traveling with companion in order to upgrade them with stickers.

You can buy a coach ticket and use miles to upgrade. Or, use miles for FC tickets. Or buy FC outright. Or make 'em fly in coach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.