FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   I-Pod left in plane!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/549967-i-pod-left-plane.html)

Hoboken1K Apr 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Recovering the loss through insurance

I left a Canon digital camera on a plane in December, and while the AA folks at C1 DFW Lost & Found were incredibly pleasant, it was never turned in.

I learned however that my bank provides me travel insurance for personal home contents that I take on the road with me, like cameras! I sent in the claim and received a full refund. It's worth checking with banks, travel agents, and credit cards, to see if this perk is at your disposal!

It helped that I had contacted AA C1 DFW on the day of the loss, and had evidence to prove it. I think I am allowed to provide that kind of contact info here (and did not see it posted earlier). The phone number is (972) 425-2465, or email [email protected]

Good luck!

Teacher49 Apr 20, 2006 3:10 pm

Two stories of honesty in aid of recovery:

1. My son was on a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) train and left behind his too beloved collection of video games in a gym bag. After several calls to the lost and found, he recovered them from Oakland. Probably a couple of hundred $$ worth - double that when new.

2. I was waiting for the same son to come through customs and immigration in Basel about 7 or 8 years ago. He was very, very late appearing from a plane that had been on the ground for a long time. I was phoning the Swiss Air counter and a bit frantic. I left a brand new Sfr 20 phone card in the phone. I came back and there it was left sitting on top of the phone. But that's Switzerland, I guess.

BTW, I also did recover my son. He had not slept in 20 hours, had a terrible cold and looked so bad that they suspected him of being on drugs.

lexe Apr 20, 2006 3:18 pm

Where you sitting in first class? It would be interesting to know if people in first get their items back more often then those of us sitting with the cattle.

Hoboken1K Apr 20, 2006 3:25 pm

In my case it was 03F on a Mad-Dog....no better service in First.

ipd054 Apr 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Nope I went standby and was stuck in 17A on a Mad-Dog. By the way IAH, DFW, and TPA (the route of the plane) all stated that they did not have any NC headphones nor MP3 players were turned in at all yesterday.

cme2c Apr 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Apologize if it's a duplicate, didn't see it posted. You could try this:

http://www.lostipods.com

mvoight Apr 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Teacher49
Two stories of honesty in aid of recovery:

1. My son was on a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) train and left behind his too beloved collection of video games in a gym bag. After several calls to the lost and found, he recovered them from Oakland. Probably a couple of hundred $$ worth - double that when new.

2. I was waiting for the same son to come through customs and immigration in Basel about 7 or 8 years ago. He was very, very late appearing from a plane that had been on the ground for a long time. I was phoning the Swiss Air counter and a bit frantic. I left a brand new Sfr 20 phone card in the phone. I came back and there it was left sitting on top of the phone. But that's Switzerland, I guess.

BTW, I also did recover my son. He had not slept in 20 hours, had a terrible cold and looked so bad that they suspected him of being on drugs.

Well, I wouldn't say it was because the people in CH were more honest.
After all, 20 Sfr is about $16, and most Swiss people have cell phones. :)
The lost in #1 was much higher and might also have been lost in Switzerland.

OHNOMRBILL Apr 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hoboken1K
I left a Canon digital camera on a plane in December, and while the AA folks at C1 DFW Lost & Found were incredibly pleasant, it was never turned in.

I learned however that my bank provides me travel insurance for personal home contents that I take on the road with me, like cameras! I sent in the claim and received a full refund. It's worth checking with banks, travel agents, and credit cards, to see if this perk is at your disposal!

It helped that I had contacted AA C1 DFW on the day of the loss, and had evidence to prove it.

Good luck!

Hoboken1K is right. ^ Contact your creditcard company they may be able to help you. I know that AMEX has a 90 day Theft Lost Damage 90 Day protection Plan.

Good Luck I have had moments fear that I might do the very same thing :eek: I will keep better track of my Bose and IPOD i the future

ajacpril Apr 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I have had better experiences than others here I guess.

1. AA SFO-LAX, left a leather jacket on the plane. Called the LAX AC and they managed to recover it and hold it at the AC for about 3 days until my next flight.

2. Mom (who was travelling intl after about 25 years) left an envelope containing $300 in cash at the information counter at LAX TBIT. She was really upset for a few days and the only reason I called lost and found at TBIT was to make her feel better. Feel better she did when the envelope and cash were recovered through the lost and found!

On the flip side

1. Lost a jacket HNL-LAX and reported it right away. It is currently being enjoyed by someone, somewhere over the rainbow... The message at LAX did say, we'll call you back if we find it and you do not need to report a lost item twice.

dfwdal Apr 20, 2006 7:15 pm

Last year I left a library book on an AA plane. Lost and found said no book was turned in. A few weeks later I stopped by the library to settle up and was pleasantly surprised to learn that someone had returned the book.

The flight attendant covering my area of the plane was exceptionally friendly and professional. On the way out I complimented him for making the flight such a pleasant experience.

I'll never know, but I suspect he may have returned the book. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Teacher49 Apr 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Well, I wouldn't say it was because the people in CH were more honest.
After all, 20 Sfr is about $16, and most Swiss people have cell phones. :)
The lost in #1 was much higher and might also have been lost in Switzerland.

Someone had to take my card out of the phone in order to use their own.

Stores in Switzerland routinely leave pallets of goods out side at night - in some places at least. There are little cigarette machines bolted to the side of buildings that would not last a single night in San Francisco.

I am not trying to say that everyone there is more honest than everyone here, but ....

DCliftonTX Apr 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I avoid this problem by not putting things into the seat pocket.

Agreed. I am amazed at the types of items I see people putting into the seat pockets; cell phones, keys, whatever... I hate it when I lose a paperback on the plane, I can not imagine donating something more expensive to the next person to see it.

danielonn Apr 20, 2006 9:17 pm

I know how you feel

After every flight i'm like what the h-- did i leave? I seem not to have lost anything major. Friends of mine always lose somethign on the plane. And your like D'oh Bloody Nora. Good luck in getting your IPod Back.

Hayden Apr 20, 2006 9:34 pm

I left a cell phone at one of the MIA ACs a few years ago, en route to BOG. The AA baggage folks in Bogota were quite friendly and called back to MIA for me, and it was waiting in a drawer when I flew back through MIA a few days later. ^

The cell phone was a bit larger than the typical phone at that time--I'd kept waiting for it to break, but it never did. The AC AAngel looked at me a bit sympathetically as she returned it.

-Hayden

kflyer2 Apr 21, 2006 6:50 pm

I thought i had learned my lesson when i left eyeglasses on a plane. They were never recovered. But, no, I was careless again and left my Bose headset ON THE SEAT in FC.

25 minutes later at ORD and waiting on a connection, I realized I didn't have them and returned to the gate. The plane was there. they allowed me to check. It wasn't there.

On my way back to my connecting gate, the agent there paged me and said an FA had walked my headset over after checking and seeing I should be at that gate. I couldn't believe it!

But I didn't stop there, and a 3rd time left my driver's license in the seat pocket. went back to the plane 30 minutes later. crew let me check, and sure enough it was way down at the bottom, waiting for its stupid owner to come and find it.

I'd like to think I've learned my lesson, but who knows?