FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Why don't F passengers 'button' their napkins? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/438258-why-dont-f-passengers-button-their-napkins.html)

magic111 Jun 2, 2005 1:12 pm

Based on my observations over the years I would agree with sam's numbers for the times I have observed.

Not as meticulous in my research as sam is but having done so on a greater number of flights.

From a button holer since before FT.

DEK Jun 2, 2005 1:56 pm

I button, and if I'm wearing a shirt without buttons (i.e. t-shirt etc.) I stuff a little corner of the napkin into the top of the shirt so it can hang there while I eat, so there! :D

This is beginning to sound like a Seinfeld episode or a "BA" (Buttonholers Anonymous) meeting or something! ;)

Ifly2much Jun 2, 2005 4:44 pm

I always button, very few others do.

It's funny how some people are "embarrased" to do this...who are you trying to impress?

socallady Jun 2, 2005 5:28 pm

I ALWAYS button!! SAM123, love your statistics!!! :)

Orange44 Jun 2, 2005 6:22 pm

I too AAlways button my napkin to my shirt. Eating slightly reclined on a potentially bumpy flight this really saves the dress shirt when you have to get off the plane and head to a meeting.

uncle wiggily Jun 2, 2005 6:58 pm

I love the sardonic humor

Originally Posted by sam123
OK, I have now some hard data on the 'buttoning' frequency.

On SFO-JFK-SFO I observed 60 F pax, including myself. Of these, there were 38 eligible candidates for buttoning (adults dressed in buttoning-compatible attire). A total of 8 pax did button (counting myself here twice, once in each direction).

This gives us a 21% BFE (Buttoning Frequency, Eligible). If I take myself, a known buttoner, out of the sample set, we come to 16% BFE; still a respectable number.

Regarding the methodology: I refrained from buttoning myself until I had taken the count to avoid undue influence through peer pressure. BFE was used since the propensity of buttoning cannot be determined for individuals not wearing buttoning-compatible attire. Sample set on these bicoastal flights may not be representative of the entire US flying population. Further data collection and analysis is indicated.

Hope this helps everyone. :p

Sami

Who'd a thunk that sooooo many people would have responded? I was convinced that I would be flamed over and over by bringing up this query.

And now I know that although we are in a distinct minority, at least there are some of us who do button.

Bon Voyage!

Orion Jun 2, 2005 8:41 pm

I always button. I am disappointed when a cloth napkin has no hole at one of the corners. A secure, held-in-place napkin prevents messy problems. "An ounce of prevention....." You know the rest.