FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Why don't F passengers 'button' their napkins? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/438258-why-dont-f-passengers-button-their-napkins.html)

AshleyF May 31, 2005 12:35 am

QF napkins have the same hole. Wonder why they would do it if it WASN'T to be used on your shirt....

925 May 31, 2005 12:37 am

Originally Posted by AshleyF
Wonder why they would do it if it WASN'T to be used on your shirt....

Maybe it is how they hang them up in the galley. Or something in the washing process.

sam123 May 31, 2005 12:48 am

Count me in for the secret napkin club! I've always been doing it, and it has saved at least a couple of shirts so far.

And the etiquette? Eating the reconstituted slop that passes for F meal with plastic flatware off a TV tray built in to a chair you're tethered to with a belt pretty much takes care of any possible etiquette compliance issues right there! We bear a closer resemblance to my 18 month old in a high chair than to an epicurean at Le Cirque. Sorry!

:p ;)

Oh, and my advAAnced technique is to use the third button from the top. This places the napkin in a position where it can catch both the shirt-bound as well as pant-bound ejecta.

I'm glad we're finally getting into meatier subjects (no pun intended). :cool:

Sami

sllevin May 31, 2005 12:54 am

I definitely do it every time as well. Especially on the blue Recaro seats which have all that built-in recline.

Steve

Disco Volante May 31, 2005 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I never do it , nor have any desire to do so; the etiquette ( as mentioned ) is for napkins to go on a lap and I have buttoning it onto a shirt as much a faux pas as sending back gazpacho soup for being cold

:D

azmmza May 31, 2005 2:39 am

this is why we cant fly in jeans and a t-shirt you MUST have a button down shirt on in F

MsEverywhere May 31, 2005 2:55 am

I never wear a button-down shirt. So I often have to take my cell phone and use it to clip the napkin to my T-shirt collar.

azmmza May 31, 2005 3:57 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I never wear a button-down shirt. So I often have to take my cell phone and use it to clip the napkin to my T-shirt collar.

you can always ware a front closing bra and snap it to that :cool:

JustAAnotherTrAAveler May 31, 2005 6:31 am

Count me in. A consistent button'er. I seldom have seen anyone else take use the button option.

cruisereg May 31, 2005 7:17 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I also think that a lot of flyers do not realize it is there and/or do not know what it is.

That said, I don't use them because I tend to be very careful in an airplane when I eat and tend to lean toward the plate as opposed to having the food pass over my clothing. Better safe than sorry.

I'm very careful and ~95% of the time, I also button the napkin on. Like others, in my field of view, I'm generally the only person doing this. There have been times when I've seen others do it to, but it is rare.

Plato90s May 31, 2005 7:21 am

I would do it, but I normally don't wear a buttoned up shirt when I travel. Comfort is key!

panjabi May 31, 2005 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s
I would do it, but I normally don't wear a buttoned up shirt when I travel. Comfort is key!

Lucky you! I am almost always flying on business and these days you get into a meeting almost as soon as you get off. Not even time to go to the hotel. Gone are the days when I was sent on a business trip overseas with a buffer day built in.

BearX220 May 31, 2005 7:42 am

I button the napkin whenever I'm wearing a buttondown shirt. I rarely see anybody else do it, but the practice has saved me from walking into business meetings with grease or sauce down my front.

Plato90s May 31, 2005 7:44 am

Originally Posted by panjabi
Lucky you! I am almost always flying on business and these days you get into a meeting almost as soon as you get off. Not even time to go to the hotel. Gone are the days when I was sent on a business trip overseas with a buffer day built in.

I've done those before, and even then I'd wear more relaxed clothes onboard and just put on the shirt at the airport. Wrinkle-resistent fabrics are great that way, and you don't risk ANY stains whatsoever.

panjabi May 31, 2005 8:07 am

Plato90,

Yeah. Good Point.

I miss those buffer days. In the mid 90s when I used to travel to LGW from DFW. I used to take the last AA flight out of DFW and land in LGW at around 10 AM. Would take the Gatwick Express to town and then take a cab to my hotel. Check in around 12:30 PM. Go workout. Take a nice shower. Then have a late lunch. Then go and have a nice walk at Oxford St. Then meet the client for drinks/dinner at night and have the first full business day the next morning.

Now I take the first AA flight out. Reach there at 7 AM in the morning. Depending on how I have been booked, I either immediately leave for London to get to a meeting by 9 AM or have an extra 30 mins to take a shower. In either case I have a full business day that does not finish till 11 PM. The first time I see my hotel is at near midnight that day. The next morning I am back at the clients office by 9.

Aah the good ole' wasteful dot com funded days.....Miss them