Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free / courtesy EXP upgrades: good deal or bad? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
Not every EXP can take advantage of every benefit of being EXP. The EXP who never flies overseas can't take advantage of eVIPs, .
Why can't an EXP not flying overseas take advantage of SWU's?

I just gave away 2 to upgrade 2 kids on a JFK-SFO flight, so they could be with mom, dad,and sis. This was a big benefit to me, as it made me feel really good. That said, how long does it take for last minute usage of SWU's to be removed from your account? This happened on Friday morning and the upgrades are still in my account. In the back of my mind, I seem to remember the supervisor using the words "just book them in C", but that memory is a little cloudy.
That said, I am sure EXP's not flying international could gain a benefit by giving them away to friends/family/strangers who fly international, or simply use them on shorter flights. I don't think there are many people that couldn't "take advantage" of SWUs
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
If you flew 100K miles and got 40 stickers, those stickers would theoretically be good for upgrades on domestic flights upto 20K miles (40 x 500 mile segments).

I would think unless 80% of your flights are international, earning stickers instead of free upgrades would not be in your favor, unless your upgrade percentage was very low.

However if you do not want to be upgraded on all your domestic flights and save your stickers for your travel companion, I can certainly understand your point of view though.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by mvoight

I just gave away 2 to upgrade 2 kids on a JFK-SFO flight, so they could be with mom, dad,and sis. This was a big benefit to me, as it made me feel really good. That said, how long does it take for last minute usage of SWU's to be removed from your account? This happened on Friday morning and the upgrades are still in my account. In the back of my mind, I seem to remember the supervisor using the words "just book them in C", but that memory is a little cloudy.
I believe eVIP balances are updated once a week so they'll be gone from your account soon enough.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (1.4MM), SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Sagy
My upgrade rate of mid-range flights without a last min change is good (12/15). So I don't have any complaints there at all.

The 1/3 refer to them being 1/3 of my overall flight segments (not upgrade rate). I'm also not asking for a change, all I wanted to know is if there are others like me (people that would have earned more stickers than they got via free upgrades).
I have been stuck on many, many, many American Eagle flights in my day-- so many that it would benefit me to get stickers instead of free upgrades. But it is definitely not a dealbreaker overall-- the program is still pretty good.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Sorry, I should have said "take full advantage". The savings as opposed to miles + copay is much greater on international flights.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sagy
The 1/3 refer to them being 1/3 of my overall flight segments (not upgrade rate). I'm also not asking for a change, all I wanted to know is if there are others like me (people that would have earned more stickers than they got via free upgrades).
If the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 breakdown between international, mid-range, and short-range is segments, not miles, that changes the picture significantly, as it shifts most of your miles of flying into international.

You say that you would have earned 40 stickers if you accrued them like Plats and Golds do. While that is true, AA does not give Plats and Golds another way to get comp upgrades, especially on those long international flights. To me, if AA were to give stickers to EXPs instead of unlimited free domestic upgrades, it would not make sense to give "miles toward 500-mile upgrades" on flights where you got a complimentary upgrade via eVIPs. The Plat/Gold system is designed to keep most of them from requesting upgrades on every eligible flight unless they are willing to pay for them. We have seen complaints from some Plat/Gold fliers who travel exclusively on international business class paid by their company, that they cannot use the stickers. I know that Plat/Gold fliers earn miles toward stickers when they are on an international miles + copay upgrade, but that seems different to me, they are really paying a lot for that upgrade, not getting it for free.

Whenever an incentive program is designed for a large number of people, it is impossible to incent everyone covered with every element of the program. There will always be some outliers who don't find that element attractive. The EXP flier who commutes weekly on Eagle flight without first class is the classic example. They don't get any free upgrades on those flights, the eVIPs are less valuable, the admittance to lounges on international flights is worthless because they don't fly internationally, basically what they are left with is first class checkin, elite security lines, and access to the EXP desk when things go wrong. But that flier is an outlier, not a typical flier. For the typical EXP, the current program works quite well.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The program works well for me. If we were still on the stickers plan, I'd probably be hoarding them and not requesting UGs on anything other than transcons. This way when I fly LGA-ORD I'm in the front. And I'm looking forward to the CR-7s from NYC to DCA and BOS.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
"Free" is always a good deal, no matter what the context. But I understand the OP's point. I qualified on segments, almost all with the minimum mileage, so my stash of stickers is pretty small. I was a bit disappointed to learn that upon becoming EXP I would (1) no longer earn stickers, and (2) still need stickers to upgrade a companion. If AA would fix either of those two items the "problem" the OP describes goes away.

However, I like the upgrades even on the short flights and I like not having to decide whether to request an upgrade. I mostly travel alone on business and the SWUs can go a long way to fix any companion upgrade problems. So I don't think the answer is to ditch the free upgrades. Overall I think the package is a good one.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Free upgrades is fine, but we should earn credits towards stickers on Eagle flights where there is no FC.

I want it all.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I appears to me some may be thinking their "sticker" upgrades would succeed most of the time, and others are thinking of upgrading their flying companions. Ah, well, wouldn't it be nice to have our cake and eating it too, never mind having it served up 100% of the time?

OTOH, hand out free upgrades to all, the percentage of upgrade success will plummet, and I don't feel there's anything evil about having to pungle up some "stickers" for my spouse's upgrades (she inherits my EXP status for the flights in question, and she earns more "stickers" - and it's generally far cheaper than purchasing a YUP, KUP or straightforward Business or First seat).

In this instance, I think AA got it just right.

N.B. The three threads debating the same question have been merged for ease in searching and discussion. /Moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.