Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is an archive of older posts; please follow the original thread:
AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (consolidated)

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA Elites a status match "challenge"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:09 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Smile

So it seems, that there are a lot of empty seats in First to be filled!
The sooner the better for AA and Happy New EXPL's!
:-::-::-:
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
I got the EXP match and am happy with AA so far. Summer is my slow time of year so I will likely not earn the 8 EVIPS for 30K but I would like to extend my EXP status. I am a traditional segment qualifier for 1K, having 121 *A segments last year. I think 55 segments is within reach as business will pick up in teh fall. If I get 55 Segments but < 55K miles/points, am I EXP?
If you hit 55 segments your minimum amount of EQM is 27500 based on the 500 min EQM given to EXPs and most likely you'll be closer to 30-32k depending on your travels.

So if you do plan on doing that many segments. I would advise doing a MR or a trip to get the extra miles. Maybe something like... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18773364-post20.html. So for less than $1500 MEM-LAX-MEM & LAX-SIN-LAX for about 26k miles or more than enough to give you your first SWUs and will get you to 55k by the end of the year.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
You have a good question here.

Last night I had a question concerning the additional 8 SWUs. Someone recommended that I e-mail AA, which I did immediately.

This morning I had a response confirming the extra 8 SWUs.

You should consider writing an e-mail to AA with your question. You might be pleasantly surprised.

To send an e-mail to AA, sign in to AA.com. Then click on "contact AA" then click on "AAdvantage" then click on "Status" which will quickly get you to the correct department that will give you an answer. Good luck.
-

Just sent the following email to AA. I will post again with the response.

I have received the status match to EXP based on my UA 1K status. I have flown 8 segments so far on AA and have enjoyed it so far. I received the email stating that I could earn EXP again for next year by completing 55,000 miles by the end of the year. If I complete 55 Segments but fly less than 55,000 miles, can I earn EXP based on segments?

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

I have received the status match to EXP based on my UA 1K status. I have flown 8 segments so far on AA and have enjoyed it so far. I received the email stating that I could earn EXP again for next year by completing 55,000 miles by the end of the year. If I complete 55 Segments but fly less than 55,000 miles, can I earn EXP based on segments?

Thanks
Did they offer segments or EQP or EQM in their match? You'd have to go by what they offered you. If they only offered 55EQM by year end then segments won't help you any.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other

Thanks
Response received in about 12 hours. I think that's faster than COdbaUA but its hard to tell since they often don't respond at all.

Dear Denvercccc,

Thanks for contacting AAdvantage® Customer Service. We're sorry you've
been kept waiting.

We are glad to hear you have begun choosing American Airlines based on
your status match with United Airlines. At this time, the only offer
that is available to members like yourself is the 55,000 Elite
Qualifying miles flown by December 31, 2012. However, please continue to
watch your email for any changes to this criteria since this is a very
new offer for members like yourself.

Again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. I look
forward to assisting you in the future.

Regards,

Name Here
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
man. i don't know if it's because i'm based out of NYC, if it's just the routes i'm choosing or if UA is maybe getting a clue, but for the last almost 10 flights i've been actively trying to book on AA but fares have either consistently been 25-45% higher than UA and AA will only have one or two routings at super inconvenient times. i mean i'll book onto AA if it's like 50-100 more on a 500 ticket, but when it's 500-600 more on a 1300 dollar ticket it's really hard to justify buying the AA ticket.

maybe i'm just traveling to the wrong places... oof. my exp card feels unloved. bums me out too, was really looking forward to trying out AA. still haven't been able to find an AA itinerary that worked for me though. anyone else this is happening to?

edit: can anyone tell me in a nutshell where AA's competitive at in terms of routes? for example i know UA's good at asia and certain pockets of europe, where can i expect AA to be competitive? i think i've quickly learned asia isn't it.

Last edited by bob_the_d; Jun 19, 2012 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
man. i don't know if it's because i'm based out of NYC, if it's just the routes i'm choosing or if UA is maybe getting a clue, but for the last almost 10 flights i've been actively trying to book on AA but fares have either consistently been 25-45% higher than UA and AA will only have one or two routings at super inconvenient times. i mean i'll book onto AA if it's like 50-100 more on a 500 ticket, but when it's 500-600 more on a 1300 dollar ticket it's really hard to justify buying the AA ticket.

maybe i'm just traveling to the wrong places... oof. my exp card feels unloved. bums me out too, was really looking forward to trying out AA. still haven't been able to find an AA itinerary that worked for me though. anyone else this is happening to?

edit: can anyone tell me in a nutshell where AA's competitive at in terms of routes? for example i know UA's good at asia and certain pockets of europe, where can i expect AA to be competitive? i think i've quickly learned asia isn't it.
There is a reason you flew UA in the first place, right?

In my case, 'loyalty' to UA is not driven primarly by the benefits of elite status. It is beacuse they are the best airline meeting my travel needs (including non-stops, number of destinations, prices, frequency).

Out of SFO, the situation is similar to yours. UA is dominant. AA (and others) are possibilites for some flights, but not nearly to the extent of UA.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph

You know, it's funny (and maybe it's a NY thing), but I've actually found AA more competitive to Asia this year. That was a big factor in switching for me. UA has a) gotten ridiculously greedy with their W+ fares to/from Asia, and b) no longer serves Singapore in any acceptable fashion. Flights are either on the 737 through HKG, or almost always come up as NH metal to Tokyo. I refuse to pay $400 more and either lose 7 hours of upgradability or be stuck in 737 F.
When I started pricing AA, I was pleasantly surprised at the AA, JL and CX options that came up--mostly as codeshares which means full accrual on AA. Obviously, not upgradable at this point, but then again, neither is UA these days given the lack of R availability.
I have found, however, that AA itself rarely offers the best options. Kayak has been my saviour.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Looks like good news and bad news. First indication I've seen that bonus EQMs will not count towards the 30k target. My own messages have only said they would not count towards the 55k.
This specifically contradicts their earlier communications (see e.g. post #1847).
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by palefire
This specifically contradicts their earlier communications (see e.g. post #1847).
Well, I guess different people got different info. GermanExpat posted an email in post #1831 which says no DEQM.

But #1847 says he got it in email that DEQM counts and #1843 also got it but on the phone.

The "Extending your status" email everyone got is written specifically excluding DEQM bonuses for the 55k but not including the 30k milestone in that language.

Elite-Status Offer Terms and Conditions
This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email directly from American Airlines. You have been pre-enrolled for this offer. No registration is required.

AAdvantage Executive Platinum® membership received through this offer is valid through February 28, 2014. To qualify, you must earn 55,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 24, 2012, and December 31, 2012. Bonus elite qualifying miles earned through special promotions are excluded. Upon reaching the required mileage threshold, your AAdvantage elite-status membership benefits will take effect immediately. Your new membership credentials will be mailed to you within four to six weeks after qualification. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite-status membership annually. For details regarding the standard qualification levels, click here.

Systemwide Upgrade Offer Terms and Conditions
In order to receive eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades, you must earn 30,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 24, 2012, and August 31, 2012. If you qualify, eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades will be deposited into your account within two weeks following the end of the qualification period and will be valid for travel through February 28, 2014. Elite-qualifying miles and points are earned for eligible travel on American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection carrier, all oneworld member airlines and their affiliates, Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air and/or American Airlines marketed codeshare flights. For complete Systemwide Upgrade terms and conditions, visit AA.com/systemwideupgrades.
Now we have more recently another user-specific email stating that both the 30k and 55k milestones cannot include DEQM. MK19791980 in post #2136.

Anyone else get communication on this issue?

Confusing. I may have to move up 2 trips just to be sure.

Last edited by fanger; Jun 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PRO
AA doing free UA elite status matches [on 27-Apr-2012 ltd. to 1K/GS].

Has anyone who received the 30K for 8 SWU by August 31 achieved that yet? If so, how quickly do the SWU post to the account?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas

You are not alone, I have been trying to book a couple of domestics and some European trips for the next couple of months and without fail out of WAS AA is consistently priced +25% over the other airlines for my destinations. Delta seems to be ultra competitive if you don't mind the occasional ATL connection, to the point that I am Silver with them now. Some price differences are such that I'm better off buying discount biz internationally or first domestically than taking the AA fare plus difference.

I might love EXP and those SWUs, but not at the proposed hit to my wallet and budget for flying AA. A bit of a twist, BA remains more competitive with its TA fares in Club, and with the the option of WT+ and Avios MFU.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by fanger
Well, I guess different people got different info. GermanExpat posted an email in post #1831 which says no DEQM.

But #1847 says he got it in email that DEQM counts and #1843 also got it but on the phone.
I emailed AA customer service to double-check on this issue, and they confirmed that DEQMs do count towards the 30k (but not, of course, the 55k):

Dear palefire,

That is correct. Please advise us as soon as you believe you have
crossed the 30,000 elite-qualifying miles or points threshold. We will
confirm and then issue your 8 complimentary one-way Systemwide Upgrades.
Due to system constraints, we are unable to have the EQMs process
automatically. Hence, the reason we'll need you to reach out to us.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:28 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
AFAIK, DEQMs or any type of EQM bonus offers do not qualify for the 30K and 55K thresholds of earning the SWUs or Extending Your Status offers. So one has to earn 30K EQMs/EQPs and 55K EQMs/EQPs to achieve the beenfits of the status match offers.

Last edited by chitownflyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
A gift from AA

I just receive 3 Admirals Club day passes as gift from AA.

Dear pigx5,
We value your business and want your time with us to be as comfortable and productive as possible. That's
why I'm delighted to offer you the three enclosed complimentary day passes
for our Admirals Club lounges. Each of these passes entitles you to be our
guest for a full day of access to any of our Admirals Club locations worldwide.
.....etc....
^^^^^^^^^^
I feel so good and I appreciate that they want my business.
They don't tell me that I am over entitled. Very nice, AA!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.