FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1641808-archive-cathay-pacific-cx-inc-first-business-class-award.html)

idainc May 7, 2012 5:17 pm

Using the CX PNR. I was not able to get into my Res. I called AA and they got the seats I wanted - or so I'm told.

ckpeter May 7, 2012 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz (Post 18531331)
Thanks @ckpeter and @Paulchili. I think I'll do the following (as you point out): reserve (and book w/in 5 days) two seats LAX-SFO-HKG in F as they should be available, and set an alert on awardnexus for 2 seats in F LAX-HKG.

I don't have status with AA -- I'm assuming if 2 F seats LAX-HKG become available, I should be able to pull a switcheroo after paying $175 ($150+$25 redeposit or change fee for two tix), right. We shall see!

Thanks again!!!

Actually, you may be happy to know that for AA partner awards, there is no charge for routing change from LAX-SFO-HKG to LAX-HKG. In fact, you will probably get a small tax refund for not landing in SFO.

Austinrunner May 7, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 18531780)
In fact, you will probably get a small tax refund for not landing in SFO.

I wouldn't count on that.

andysiz May 8, 2012 1:17 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome (Post 18531641)
This may not be a mistake/glitch but a case of married segments. Several times, I found CX availability when booking LAX-HKG-DPS, but not when looking at the segments individually. In those cases, I've had to ask the agents to search specifically for LAX-DPS. When I've done so, they've seen availability otherwise not there.

Brilliant! It never occurred to me to think of award tix in the context of married/split segments. I love learning new stuff on FT. Thanks!

corporateslave May 8, 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Terrence (Post 18531633)
I have seats for 2 in F via CX 879 (SFO-HKG) on 7/9/12. I got the PNR, went to Cathay's site, but cannot put us into 1A/1F as listed as blocked. I then checked EF and the seats are open. What is funny is that EF only shows us in seats in F, but Cathay's site shows 4 other total seats blocked (4A & 4 K). Thus I put us into 2A/3A. I then called up the Cathay 800 line, and the person tried but failed and confirmed they could not do it either and I was told do the 48 hour check in time and try then. Of course the seats might be gone then.

I have read in the thread others have had an issue, anyone with any insight on how to get over this hurdle? Or is this phone agent roulette?

In my experience if one CX agent tries and fails to reserve seats that have been blocked, that generally means you won't be able to get the seats even through another agent.

That being said, it never hurts to call back and see if you find some agent who knows a magic trick or two.

former230 May 8, 2012 7:39 am

Has anyone who called CX directly to inquire about seat changes been told anything about "not receiving ticketing info from AA yet"?

I have 2 CX F awards I booked using AA miles back in Jan and when I called a few weeks ago to get my seats assigned the CX agent made the comment that they had the reservation, but had not yet received the ticketing info from AA yet. I then called AA EXP line and got a seemingly very knowledgable agent who took her time to look at the res and assured me all was in order. She said she had been doing it for years, was a supervisor and that everything looked good. She even gave me the ticket number which was indeed on my reservation.

I called CX back and they still insisted they didn't have any ticketing info from AA. When I gave the CX agent my ticket number (that AA had passed me) she could find it, but said it wasn't "linked" to my reservation.

Strange indeed...has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder if this was caused by the CX system "upgrade" a few months back. Makes me wonder what I actually need in order to fly...I assume since i have a ticket number and confirmed res I should be ok.

I will definitely be calling both CX and AA back again before I fly.

idainc May 8, 2012 7:41 am

I'd really love to get the tel # you use to actually get CX on the phone. I'm flying tomorrow and haven't spoken to them yet to confirm.

former230 May 8, 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by idainc (Post 18534860)
I'd really love to get the tel # you use to actually get CX on the phone. I'm flying tomorrow and haven't spoken to them yet to confirm.

I am lucky that I work from home most of the time because I get the busy signal 90% of the time. I just keep my bluetooth on and keep it on re-dial until I get through..then I usually average another 10 mins of waiting before I get to an agent. A pain for sure!

US number I call is
1-800-233-2742

idainc May 8, 2012 8:32 am

Got through !

Sat on hold to HKG for 35 minutes and tried the US # and got through - second try !

randapex May 8, 2012 10:37 am

If F seats open on CX, will all my seats stay the same on other legs?

Hi Guys, I'm new...:p But have learned quite a bit following FT. I've searched, but can't quite find the answer. My question is, I've booked 2 award tickets in J for Sept. Sea-Lax-HKG-DPS.
In the past, when I've gotten seats, I've always assumed that was it as far as getting a chance to fly F. But after reading the forums, it seems CX sometimes opens up F a week or so before the flight.
If CX does open seats say from LAX to HKG, and I was lucky enough to get them, what happens to all the other seat assignments? Is the whole thing re-booked and all seats assignments lost and in need of another call to CX for the return legs?
If for instance, there is no F available on the return, HKG-LAX, I'd like to keep the J seats reserved in the mini cabin. But with all the computer issues CX is having, I'm wondering if I should just leave well enough alone, check out the new J and hold onto the extra miles.

DCtrAAveler May 8, 2012 12:02 pm

YMMV, but in my recent experience your seat assignments on the other legs should remain the same. Partner and I flew JFX-HKG and HKG-ORD with conenctions on Eagle to/from DCA. Secured F on JFK-HKG from the start, but were originally in J HKG-ORD. F seats opened up on the return shortly before our departure for HKG, and nothing with our other seat assignments was affected when the new tickets were issued.

AZbba May 8, 2012 12:13 pm

they should stay the same, but don't forget you CAN change the routing.

So, look for sea-sfo-hkg, sea-ord-hkg, sea-jfk-hkg and sea-yvr-hkg as well, as lax is usually quite difficult to find.

Gamecock May 8, 2012 2:03 pm

I thought I had read the answer elsewhere, but couldn't find it when I was wondering the same thing earlier this week.

Glad to see this thread. ^

hillrider May 8, 2012 10:49 pm

Only the affected segments in the reservations will be modified; the rest will stay the same (incl. seat assignments, special meals, etc.)

jamienbaker May 9, 2012 4:48 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 18540166)
Only the affected segments in the reservations will be modified; the rest will stay the same (incl. seat assignments, special meals, etc.)

100% correct. I routinely book multi-segment CX awards in J, and when F opens grab the upgrade (sometimes as few as 24 hrs before departure). Just keep in mind the DPS segment switches aircraft fairly often. That's the leg where you run the risk of losing your assignments. If a 744, be sure to ask for F seats at the airport (they exist, but the plane is sold as 2-class. Numerous threads on this). Enjoy Bali!