FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA leaves vegas with 2 seats ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1624570-aa-leaves-vegas-2-seats.html)

biztraveler2007 Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

AA leaves vegas with 2 seats ?

AA is up to old AA or new us air tricks.
today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats. amazing how naive AA is to assume ff dont see this stuff ?

englisha Oct 29, 2014 4:36 pm

Could be any number of reasons for this. Maybe the chairs were broken, who knows?

JonNYC Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by biztraveler2007 (Post 23759767)
...amazing how naive..

You got that part right.

miamigrad Oct 29, 2014 4:57 pm

American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate carriers under the same merged parent company. As this relates to the AA side of operations, it has been moved to the relevant pre-merger American Airlines forum, as noted in the STOP! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING sticky.

/Moderator

Bttc Oct 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Was anyone booked/standby for the empty seats? If nobody wants the seats, AA isn't going to grab random passerby and force them to fly to a weird destination just because the seats are going to go out empty.

If somebody did want the seats, then presumably they were inoperable. AA isn't going to keep a standby passenger off the flight for no reason.

FLgrr Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm

AA is up to old AA or new us air tricks.
today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats. amazing how naive AA is to assume ff dont see this stuff ?

What flight? What makes you think there was so one to fill the seats? Where you a passanger and saw it or standing by and turned down? Thanks for the details

tom911 Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats.

Why would you think the pilot has anything to do with seat allocation?

nrr Oct 29, 2014 6:09 pm

The heading is incomplete, shouldn't it read "AA leaves vegas with 2 EMPTY seats"?
I've left Vegas with 2 or more empty FC seats.

bdemaria Oct 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by FLgrr (Post 23760199)
What flight? What makes you think there was so one to fill the seats? Where you a passanger and saw it or standing by and turned down? Thanks for the details

I'm just guessing here: the OP and the exec plat requested upgrades and didn't get them and the OP is surprised/upset that s/he didn't get it.

ATXflyer Oct 29, 2014 7:46 pm

How can you watch a flight go with 2 empty F seats if you are not on it?

The OP is missing some info.

I've been on plenty of flights with empty F seats. Some folks don't want to part with their upgrade coupons or they don't have any.

C17PSGR Oct 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Well ... aren't there some seats on the 738 in Y blocked so they don't have to go with an extra FA? It's planned to go with two empty seats IIRC.

Djokison Oct 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 23760679)
I'm just guessing here: the OP and the exec plat requested upgrades and didn't get them and the OP is surprised/upset that s/he didn't get it.

This was my best guess as well.

flyingmusicianlax Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 23760806)
Well ... aren't there some seats on the 738 in Y blocked so they don't have to go with an extra FA? It's planned to go with two empty seats IIRC.

Doesn't the FAA require that there be a certain number of F/As for the number of seats, regardless how many of this seats are filled? I recall reading that from an F/A on the UA forum.

Anecdotally, I have definitely been on multiple 738s where every seat was filled.

Djokison Oct 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax (Post 23761307)
Doesn't the FAA require that there be a certain number of F/As for the number of seats, regardless how many of this seats are filled? I recall reading that from an F/A on the UA forum.

Anecdotally, I have definitely been on multiple 738s where every seat was filled.

Yes, this is correct. However, an airline can get an exception for this, providing the seats are physically blocked. AA chose to do this and installed 4 fixed trays into the middle seats in rows 16/17.

C17PSGR was referring to those, in the sense that 4 seats go out "empty" on every 738. We can assume that's not what the OP was referring to, though.

Incidentally, starting in November, AA will start unblocking these seats and adding a row back in Y.

MrMan Oct 30, 2014 11:53 am

Cargo-Weight issues