AA leaves vegas with 2 seats ?

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

AA leaves vegas with 2 seats ?

AA is up to old AA or new us air tricks.
today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats. amazing how naive AA is to assume ff dont see this stuff ?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Could be any number of reasons for this. Maybe the chairs were broken, who knows?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
...amazing how naive..
You got that part right.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate carriers under the same merged parent company. As this relates to the AA side of operations, it has been moved to the relevant pre-merger American Airlines forum, as noted in the STOP! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING sticky.

/Moderator
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:34 pm

Was anyone booked/standby for the empty seats? If nobody wants the seats, AA isn't going to grab random passerby and force them to fly to a weird destination just because the seats are going to go out empty.

If somebody did want the seats, then presumably they were inoperable. AA isn't going to keep a standby passenger off the flight for no reason.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
AA is up to old AA or new us air tricks.
today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats. amazing how naive AA is to assume ff dont see this stuff ?
What flight? What makes you think there was so one to fill the seats? Where you a passanger and saw it or standing by and turned down? Thanks for the details
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
today me and another exec platonum watch as an AA gate agent or pilot let a flight go with 2 empty seats.
Why would you think the pilot has anything to do with seat allocation?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The heading is incomplete, shouldn't it read "AA leaves vegas with 2 EMPTY seats"?
I've left Vegas with 2 or more empty FC seats.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by FLgrr
What flight? What makes you think there was so one to fill the seats? Where you a passanger and saw it or standing by and turned down? Thanks for the details
I'm just guessing here: the OP and the exec plat requested upgrades and didn't get them and the OP is surprised/upset that s/he didn't get it.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:46 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
How can you watch a flight go with 2 empty F seats if you are not on it?

The OP is missing some info.

I've been on plenty of flights with empty F seats. Some folks don't want to part with their upgrade coupons or they don't have any.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... aren't there some seats on the 738 in Y blocked so they don't have to go with an extra FA? It's planned to go with two empty seats IIRC.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I'm just guessing here: the OP and the exec plat requested upgrades and didn't get them and the OP is surprised/upset that s/he didn't get it.
This was my best guess as well.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... aren't there some seats on the 738 in Y blocked so they don't have to go with an extra FA? It's planned to go with two empty seats IIRC.
Doesn't the FAA require that there be a certain number of F/As for the number of seats, regardless how many of this seats are filled? I recall reading that from an F/A on the UA forum.

Anecdotally, I have definitely been on multiple 738s where every seat was filled.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Doesn't the FAA require that there be a certain number of F/As for the number of seats, regardless how many of this seats are filled? I recall reading that from an F/A on the UA forum.

Anecdotally, I have definitely been on multiple 738s where every seat was filled.
Yes, this is correct. However, an airline can get an exception for this, providing the seats are physically blocked. AA chose to do this and installed 4 fixed trays into the middle seats in rows 16/17.

C17PSGR was referring to those, in the sense that 4 seats go out "empty" on every 738. We can assume that's not what the OP was referring to, though.

Incidentally, starting in November, AA will start unblocking these seats and adding a row back in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 am

Cargo-Weight issues

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.