FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Funky AA Trips with Hipmunk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1593297-funky-aa-trips-hipmunk.html)

inpd Jul 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Funky AA Trips with Hipmunk

So chipmunk puts together some funky itineraries to Europe. Outbound legs on AA inbound legs *ticketed* as BA.

Anyone booked these and run into mileage credit or MCE or some other problems later on?

ChiFlyer Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Not to be flippant but these are certainly not funky given the relationship between AA and BA. I have done this before without any issues. Also done it with Iberia - one way AA and one way Iberia. No problems.

3Cforme Jul 10, 2014 5:33 pm

<redacted>

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lines/main.jsp

Venabili Jul 10, 2014 6:07 pm

What is funky in using different carriers from the same alliance on an itinerary? This is what alliances are for after all...

Even outside of the alliance, these won't be really funky...

Every flight is reported on its own... how you travel (RT or one ways or whatever) does not really matter.

armus Jul 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Hipmunk seems to like to mix airlines & codeshares--I never bother to check if price or poor programming was the reason. Hipmunk also like to display 1 stop flights as nonstop, even for options that involve a change of plane.

inpd Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm

<redacted>

I've edited my original post for better emphasis. The problem is that I'm flying all AA metal both inbound and outbound.

But Hipmunk is ticketing the inbound flight as AA and the outbound flight as BA despite it being all AA metal.

I just bought the ticket since it was $400 cheaper than the exact same flights as on AA.com Now the problem is that on the outbound flights I can't select MCE via aa.com. Any suggestions how to get around this?

IflyonAA Jul 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 23177798)
I've edited my original post for better emphasis. The problem is that I'm flying all AA metal both inbound and outbound.

But Hipmunk is ticketing the inbound flight as AA and the outbound flight as BA despite it being all AA metal.

I just bought the ticket since it was $400 cheaper than the exact same flights as on AA.com Now the problem is that on the outbound flights I can't select MCE via aa.com. Any suggestions how to get around this?

There will no doubt be an AA record locator attached to your itinerary - find it or call AA and ask.

inpd Jul 10, 2014 8:12 pm

So here's what you do.

1) There are two Record Locator Numbers, but only the first shows up in AA.com
2) Enter the second one into BA.com
3) This creates the second RLN in AA.com
4) Now call up AA Platinum line and ask them to enter your AA number for the second RLN.
5) Now you can access MCE for both flights.

Doc Savage Jul 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 23177414)

Thanks for posting the link!

<redacted>

Sant Jul 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Funky AA Trips with Hipmunk

Hipmunk provided several options for an upcoming vacation. All the flights were on AA metal, but none were marketed on AA.

mvoight Jul 11, 2014 1:33 am

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 23177143)
So chipmunk puts together some funky itineraries to Europe. Outbound legs on AA inbound legs *ticketed* as BA.

Anyone booked these and run into mileage credit or MCE or some other problems later on?

Flights earn credit based on the rules of the airline the flights are marketed under. For example, fly an AA coded flight on any partner and you get the miles as if it was AA. Fly a BA coded flight and you follow the rule BA has for AAdvantage miles. As you have found out, getting MCE may need manual intervention.

pharmalady Jul 16, 2014 3:42 pm

The only time I used Hipmunk was when our corporate travel site was down and I was stuck at LAX with a rebooking line that was a mile long.

I used Hipmunk to find altenative flights, and Hipmunk offered me an KLM codeshare Delta flight. It set off alarm bells to the expense trolls and I had to get my boss to issue an approval to pay for it. It was Delta metal, but the KLM ticket stock had someone expense troll's knickers in a knot.

Next time I'll use Kayak.

inpd Jul 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 23178046)
So here's what you do.

1) There are two Record Locator Numbers, but only the first shows up in AA.com
2) Enter the second one into BA.com
3) This creates the second RLN in AA.com
4) Now call up AA Platinum line and ask them to enter your AA number for the second RLN.
5) Now you can access MCE for both flights.

Damn! So I did all t his and I get MCE on the BA ticketed flight only to be kicked out a week later.

Any idea how to get MCE on the BA ticketed flight permanently? Remember its all AA metal.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Jul 31, 2014 12:57 am

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 23285089)
Damn! So I did all t his and I get MCE on the BA ticketed flight only to be kicked out a week later.

Any idea how to get MCE on the BA ticketed flight permanently? Remember its all AA metal.

Thanks in advance.

Is your AA number still in the BA ticketed flight?

If it no longer there, try to add it in using RJ, QR or AY site - the BA PNR should pull up the reservation as they are all on amadeus system. Then go to AA to retrieve your reservation and select the seat again.

Microwave Jul 31, 2014 9:41 am

Some unnecessarily snarky content has been removed. No need for that here. Please remember to be civil, and when you see others not following that advice, notify moderators rather than responding in kind.

~Moderator