FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   TPA-NYC Nonstops Eliminated as of May 7 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1566267-tpa-nyc-nonstops-eliminated-may-7-2014-a.html)

mypins Apr 4, 2014 6:29 am

TPA-NYC Nonstops Eliminated as of May 7 2014

I just received an email with a complete itinerary change because AA will discontinue non stops between TPA and JFK. What the heck? Half of my LHR flights were out of JFK...guess it's going to be JetBlue to pick up my LHR flights. Anyone else concerned?

Often1 Apr 4, 2014 6:59 am

All part of the US acquisition of AA. The route will now be served by US which hubs at CLT. Lots of options, but all require a connection, generally at CLT.

dtremit Apr 4, 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mypins (Post 22647326)
Half of my LHR flights were out of JFK...guess it's going to be JetBlue to pick up my LHR flights.

Or you could just take LHR flights out of PHL or CLT...

sts603 Apr 4, 2014 8:18 am

Or MIA. The TPA flight(s) were there strictly for international feed. Between PHL, CLT, and MIA you have all of the destinations covered that are on AA metal and many One World/Codeshare connections. The few that aren't probably just don't have the traffic to justify the route.

Often1 Apr 4, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 22647825)
Or MIA. The TPA flight(s) were there strictly for international feed. Between PHL, CLT, and MIA you have all of the destinations covered that are on AA metal and many One World/Codeshare connections. The few that aren't probably just don't have the traffic to justify the route.

Short-haul flights into NYC head to LGA for O&D traffic. The JFK flights have been dying anyway (express carrier and the like).

FAA1996 Apr 4, 2014 8:55 am

This is terrible new for me. :-( flights to or through JFK usually price the lowest for me.

Daze Apr 4, 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22647914)
Short-haul flights into NYC head to LGA for O&D traffic. The JFK flights have been dying anyway (express carrier and the like).

Provides a little insight as to what the new AA's strategy might be going forward.

george 3 Apr 4, 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22647430)
All part of the US acquisition of AA. The route will now be served by US which hubs at CLT. Lots of options, but all require a connection, generally at CLT.

Well hello B6 !

austin_res Apr 4, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22647430)

JetBlue and Delta fly JFK-TPA nonstop.

sts603 Apr 4, 2014 11:24 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996 (Post 22648050)
This is terrible new for me. :-( flights to or through JFK usually price the lowest for me.

Which means that they are either losing money or are less profitable than other alternatives...

seawolf Apr 4, 2014 11:25 am

TPA-NYC Nonstops Eliminated as of May 7

I avoided the JFK TPA because they were CRJ despite being AA elite and go thru CLT due to being able to MoveUP.

Fanjet Apr 4, 2014 11:50 am

Doesn't BA also have a flight out of TPA to LHR? Or does that go to LGW? Anyway, if you're already booked, have them route you via MIA or PHL. Is it that much of a loss? A 2.5 hour flight on a CR7 sounds kind of brutal. I wonder what (international) city they will replace this flight with out of JFK...

linglingfool Apr 4, 2014 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 22649096)
Or does that go to LGW?

Goes to LGW.

nkrijeka Apr 4, 2014 12:07 pm

bad news for me. now the direct flight that gets me closest to home from nyc is to MIA...

really considering switching to UA for the hometown connection at this point (would go to Delta, but for the skypeso).

austin_res Apr 4, 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 22649096)
I wonder what (international) city they will replace this flight with out of JFK...

Some possibilities:
1) launch the long-rumored JFK-TLV flight
2) start JFK-PHL
3) sell the slot