FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Advantage Award Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1518107-advantage-award-question.html)

greg0ire Nov 2, 2013 5:46 pm

Advantage Award Question

Hi All,

I bought 2 60k Awards to travel LAX-BGI round trip.
I'm in J for LAX-MIA and Y for MIA-BGI.
For the return, I'm in Y BGI-MIA and J for MIA-LAX.

Of course, I will check on the flights daily so I can get the J seats for the Y legs. My concern is if they the J seats aren't released, will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.

Thanks.

vasantn Nov 2, 2013 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire (Post 21716274)
Hi All,

I bought 2 60k Awards to travel LAX-BGI round trip.
I'm in J for LAX-MIA and Y for MIA-BGI.
For the return, I'm in Y BGI-MIA and J for MIA-LAX.

Of course, I will check on the flights daily so I can get the J seats for the Y legs. My concern is if they the J seats aren't released, will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.

Thanks.

I think you would be designated as DSR, which would put you at the top. I would advise letting the GA know.

keepssmile Nov 2, 2013 6:28 pm

My suggestion: subscribe to EF and set up alert for the J (or F?) award bucket. Once they are available, call the agent to move you up for free.

PainCorp Nov 2, 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by keepssmile (Post 21716428)
My suggestion: subscribe to EF and set up alert for the J (or F?) award bucket. Once they are available, call the agent to move you up for free.

It's sold as J.

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 21716426)
I think you would be designated as DSR, which would put you at the top. I would advise letting the GA know.

Depends if it was sold to OP as a J ticket for that leg or not.

Steve M Nov 2, 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire (Post 21716274)
will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.

You want to avoid using the term "upgrade." Especially with an award ticket, some agents will mus-interpret this as you wanting to have a Y award ticket upgraded.

You have a J ticket but are confirmed in Y. You want to be put on the standby list for J, not the upgrade list. The standby list for people with J tickets will be processed in its entirety before any upgrades are processed.

greg0ire Nov 2, 2013 6:48 pm

Just to confirm, I paid 60k r/t which entitles me to J seats all the way through. I elected to take Y since it isn't available. I was told to check often for a change in availability.
I just want to be at the top of the upgrade list if the seats aren't released since they are purchased as J.

greg0ire Nov 2, 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 21716492)
You want to avoid using the term "upgrade." Especially with an award ticket, some agents will mus-interpret this as you wanting to have a Y award ticket upgraded.

You have a J ticket but are confirmed in Y. You want to be put on the standby list for J, not the upgrade list. The standby list for people with J tickets will be processed in its entirety before any upgrades are processed.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a separate list.

PainCorp Nov 2, 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 21716492)

If OP is ticketed in J for the MIA-BGI flight, as opposed to Y as OP said originally, then OP should be on the upgrade list as a DSR.

Originally Posted by greg0ire (Post 21716507)
Thanks, I didn't know there was a separate list.

There isn't, it's just a different code with a higher priority.

greg0ire Nov 2, 2013 6:54 pm

Pardon my ignorance, What does DSR stand for?

vasantn Nov 2, 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire (Post 21716523)
Pardon my ignorance, What does DSR stand for?

"Desires to travel in ticketed cabin" or something like that. While I realize that you are not technically ticketed in J, I believe that you would still be classified as a DSR. (I could be wrong; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or contradict.)

greg0ire Nov 3, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks. Another question.
There are two flights in each direction each day. One is on a 75L, but I am scheduled for the 757 in each direction. I know it's a matter of preference, but is it worth rescheduling to be on the better J metal?

Keith Flyer Maven Nov 3, 2013 1:06 pm

It depends: 1. how inconvenient would the change be for your schedule versus 2. how much you value a moderately better experience. If it's an easy change, than go for it, but i wouldn't, say, give up half a day in barbados to sit in a nicer seat...

greg0ire Nov 3, 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven (Post 21720210)
It depends: 1. how inconvenient would the change be for your schedule versus 2. how much you value a moderately better experience. If it's an easy change, than go for it, but i wouldn't, say, give up half a day in barbados to sit in a nicer seat...

Thanks. It would be giving up a half day exploring MIA. Since we are in J on the 777 LAX-MIA, I guess I can stick with a lesser experience on the 2nd leg.

PainCorp Nov 3, 2013 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 21717372)
"Desires to travel in ticketed cabin" or something like that. While I realize that you are not technically ticketed in J, I believe that you would still be classified as a DSR. (I could be wrong; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or contradict.)

We would need to see his reservation to know, can't really tell from what's been said.

greg0ire Nov 3, 2013 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 21720287)
We would need to see his reservation to know, can't really tell from what's been said.

What info am I leaving out?