Advantage Award Question

Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Advantage Award Question

Hi All,

I bought 2 60k Awards to travel LAX-BGI round trip.
I'm in J for LAX-MIA and Y for MIA-BGI.
For the return, I'm in Y BGI-MIA and J for MIA-LAX.

Of course, I will check on the flights daily so I can get the J seats for the Y legs. My concern is if they the J seats aren't released, will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.

Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Hi All,

I bought 2 60k Awards to travel LAX-BGI round trip.
I'm in J for LAX-MIA and Y for MIA-BGI.
For the return, I'm in Y BGI-MIA and J for MIA-LAX.

Of course, I will check on the flights daily so I can get the J seats for the Y legs. My concern is if they the J seats aren't released, will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.

Thanks.
I think you would be designated as DSR, which would put you at the top. I would advise letting the GA know.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
My suggestion: subscribe to EF and set up alert for the J (or F?) award bucket. Once they are available, call the agent to move you up for free.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keepssmile
My suggestion: subscribe to EF and set up alert for the J (or F?) award bucket. Once they are available, call the agent to move you up for free.
It's sold as J.

Originally Posted by vasantn
I think you would be designated as DSR, which would put you at the top. I would advise letting the GA know.
Depends if it was sold to OP as a J ticket for that leg or not.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
will I be at the top of upgrade list the day of the flight? I've already paid for J all the way through, but elected to downgrade so I can catch the flights.
You want to avoid using the term "upgrade." Especially with an award ticket, some agents will mus-interpret this as you wanting to have a Y award ticket upgraded.

You have a J ticket but are confirmed in Y. You want to be put on the standby list for J, not the upgrade list. The standby list for people with J tickets will be processed in its entirety before any upgrades are processed.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Just to confirm, I paid 60k r/t which entitles me to J seats all the way through. I elected to take Y since it isn't available. I was told to check often for a change in availability.
I just want to be at the top of the upgrade list if the seats aren't released since they are purchased as J.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
You want to avoid using the term "upgrade." Especially with an award ticket, some agents will mus-interpret this as you wanting to have a Y award ticket upgraded.

You have a J ticket but are confirmed in Y. You want to be put on the standby list for J, not the upgrade list. The standby list for people with J tickets will be processed in its entirety before any upgrades are processed.
Thanks, I didn't know there was a separate list.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M

If OP is ticketed in J for the MIA-BGI flight, as opposed to Y as OP said originally, then OP should be on the upgrade list as a DSR.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a separate list.
There isn't, it's just a different code with a higher priority.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Pardon my ignorance, What does DSR stand for?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Pardon my ignorance, What does DSR stand for?
"Desires to travel in ticketed cabin" or something like that. While I realize that you are not technically ticketed in J, I believe that you would still be classified as a DSR. (I could be wrong; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or contradict.)
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Another question.
There are two flights in each direction each day. One is on a 75L, but I am scheduled for the 757 in each direction. I know it's a matter of preference, but is it worth rescheduling to be on the better J metal?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
It depends: 1. how inconvenient would the change be for your schedule versus 2. how much you value a moderately better experience. If it's an easy change, than go for it, but i wouldn't, say, give up half a day in barbados to sit in a nicer seat...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
It depends: 1. how inconvenient would the change be for your schedule versus 2. how much you value a moderately better experience. If it's an easy change, than go for it, but i wouldn't, say, give up half a day in barbados to sit in a nicer seat...
Thanks. It would be giving up a half day exploring MIA. Since we are in J on the 777 LAX-MIA, I guess I can stick with a lesser experience on the 2nd leg.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
"Desires to travel in ticketed cabin" or something like that. While I realize that you are not technically ticketed in J, I believe that you would still be classified as a DSR. (I could be wrong; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or contradict.)
We would need to see his reservation to know, can't really tell from what's been said.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PainCorp
We would need to see his reservation to know, can't really tell from what's been said.
What info am I leaving out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.