Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Easy' EXP upgrades no longer so easy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If it was a system glitch, it was probably so random that it isn't worth AA's time to find out. If it was a manual intervention of the shenanigans kind (the theory I lean towards btw/fwiw) then they'll never want to admit it. Either way, I will never find out...
Thanks for updates.
There may be another similar glitch reported in this thread(post #91).
So it may be worth pursuing how this happened.

As your flight was specified(AA1651 on April 25th), I hope some impartial people who can access AA system may find out what happened.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:00 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Ok, maybe "offensive" wasn't the right word. But in the post where I first saw the term/quoted it read something like: "I think it's so silly for companies to pay for F and those who book it are prima donnas and I will hold this view as long as my company refuses to pay for F".

You'd have to replace some "M's" with "F's" for it to become genuinely offensive .
LOL. I agree with with you then. My firm pays for the premium cabin if certain conditions are met and I am glad they do!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What I find to be happening less this year is a confirmed upgrade prior to the flight. I feel while they have seats upfront, AA is waiting till the last min to either sell them or get cash from people at the checkin kiosks for upgrades.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rich728
I feel while they have seats upfront, AA is waiting till the last min to either sell them or get cash from people at the checkin kiosks for upgrades.
Have I missed something?
Since when has AA offered kiosk buy-ups on any flight where there are more elites waiting for an upgrade to clear than available seats.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:37 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by sfo777
have i missed something?
Since when has aa offered kiosk buy-ups on any flight where there are more elites waiting for an upgrade to clear than available seats.

baseless speculation!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Have I missed something?
Since when has AA offered kiosk buy-ups on any flight where there are more elites waiting for an upgrade to clear than available seats.
Poster probably thinking of UA, where's it's an ingrained part of an (ineffective) strategy?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, IC AMB, SPG GOLD, HHONORS GLD, National Executive, Hertz Gold, AVIS Preferred
Just checked in for my return flight 699 ORD - LAX... Counter person - "Well Mr. XXXX you are #1 on the upgrade list but" - I cut her off and say "First Class is sold out"... and she laughs.

She agreed with what me and others have stated that AA has been pushing cheaper First Class tickets to sell out seats before upgrades as of late.

DOH!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by VeniceDre
Just checked in for my return flight 699 ORD - LAX... Counter person - "Well Mr. XXXX you are #1 on the upgrade list but" - I cut her off and say "First Class is sold out"... and she laughs.

She agreed with what me and others have stated that AA has been pushing cheaper First Class tickets to sell out seats before upgrades as of late.

DOH!
Big difference between kiosk upgrades which are set at 45 dollars per 500 miles and trying to maximize F revenue with actual F ticket sales.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex

DOH!
Originally Posted by sts603
Big difference between kiosk upgrades which are set at 45 dollars per 500 miles and trying to maximize F revenue with actual F ticket sales.
I think that post was in reference to the cheap P fares which have been around for the last year or so and make F available on every continental US route other than JFK-SFO/LAX for under $1k rather than LFBU. In theory, the LFBU shouldn't be made available until upgrades have cleared but doesn't seem like it always works that way.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold

DOH!
Call customer relations and let them know. The person I spoke with mentioned that they have been receiving a lot of calls regarding this subject.

I just booked 15k worth of travel and not a dime on AA due to this issue.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moman
Call customer relations and let them know. The person I spoke with mentioned that they have been receiving a lot of calls regarding this subject.
Oh puleeze. Many of us are still at or near 100% on upgrades. AA may offer reasonably priced F fares but they do not displace elites with last day kiosk upgrades. If you want to fly First, manage your travels better or buy an F ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What, exactly, would be the basis of the complaint to CS?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
What, exactly, would be the basis of the complaint to CS?
Lack of complimentary upgrades for EXP.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Oh puleeze. Many of us are still at or near 100% on upgrades. AA may offer reasonably priced F fares but they do not displace elites with last day kiosk upgrades. If you want to fly First, manage your travels better or buy an F ticket.
And this is exactly why I won't reply in this thread anymore. It obvious buying F is the only guarantee.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lack of complimentary upgrades for EXP.
And this is exactly why I won't reply in this thread anymore. It obvious buying F is the only guarantee.
But, but, but I thought you had already taken your $15K elsewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Did you book on a carrier that is going to guarantee you an upgrade to F even if they sell out the F cabin? We all have misses on upgrades but I'd need a lot more than that to walk away from my EXP status. Who is your backup carrier to AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.