FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   'Easy' EXP upgrades no longer so easy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1460280-easy-exp-upgrades-no-longer-so-easy.html)

AA_EXP09 Apr 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by moman (Post 20635491)
I'll take that wager, Herb. Phoenix has very little business activity for the size of the city and flights. What it does have is a doubling of the metro area in the winter months with fairly wealthy retirees and leisure travel, such that it mimics MCO.

More golfing at PHX than MCO, though, and MCO is more of a family destination than PHX.

moman Apr 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Flew Mia-lax on 777 recently. No upgrade, was #7 at time of departure. Gate agent told me there were 90 EXPs on the flight, but the FA said there were 4 in coach. Where were the other 86? 😉

MiamiFlyer Apr 24, 2013 5:12 am

Hiding up front.........

shortkidd Apr 24, 2013 5:14 am

I have to say lately my luck has been good. Upgraded every time.

I have some interesting travel coming up to the West Coast and onto HNL and crossing fingers these come through.

azcoyote Apr 24, 2013 7:10 am

In regards to PHX-DFW-PHX, between the first of April and now, I'm 4 for 6 on UGs - and the 2 times I didn't get i, I've died #1 on the list, and that's as a PLT. These are all either the first or second flight out in the morning - during the business week, and the flights are either full or nearly full.

GunsOfNavarone Apr 24, 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by azcoyote (Post 20644273)
In regards to PHX-DFW-PHX, between the first of April and now, I'm 4 for 6 on UGs - and the 2 times I didn't get i, I've died #1 on the list, and that's as a PLT. These are all either the first or second flight out in the morning - during the business week, and the flights are either full or nearly full.

I can't say the same. As a EXP I am 0 for 2 DFW-PHX upgrades last month. I am on AA 2066 tomorrow, and not yet upgraded, although qty 5 F seats remain unassigned. I joked to myself, as not getting upgraded on a Y fare 7 am DFW-PHX mid-week flight, that F must be full of SR AA managers doing day runs to PHX.

CruisingAltitude47 Apr 24, 2013 10:47 am

Once I post this, I'm sure my luck will end but I'm 8 for 8 this year including half of those were traveling with a companion who's PLT and we both got seats. It's been a mix of heavy-elite routes (LAX-DFW, LAX-MIA) and lighter ones (DFW-BDL, PHL-DFW). Part of the luck may be I don't do a lot of prime business travel times.

Upgraded! Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20627429)
1. Capacity cuts affect F more than Y (because of the proportion of F to Y seats).
2. Improved economy means more paid F
3. AA wised up to F pricing. They used to price domestic F as though it was still the old days of real F service.

I wouldn't look at any one flight on any one day, but the fact is that economic viability is about finding the right price point. In the past, AA and others had way too much capacity and they cut their fares and handed out F freebie as a means of generating business. That didn't work. Now, they cut capacity to a profit point and it shows on their books.

Surprisingly enough, I agree with everything in your post :), in particular point #3. All I'd add to that particular point, as a slightly different take on the same idea, is that AA finally applied its coach RM strategies to F, hence more levels of discounting based on its closely held algorithms because of a realization that the differences between F and Y are shrinking.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 20630107)
There's always the possibility that the fact that this one particular flight has sold out F is due to some one-off issue.

Large family going to a wedding, deep-pocketed generous Grandma bought everyone F tickets.

Corporate muckety-mucks all going to the same meeting, all flying F.

Some movie star put his whole entourage in F.

Not surprisingly, I agree with none of this.

If you look at multiple days for that route on EF, you will see several patterns emerge, such as early morning flights having significantly more F capacity than later flights, weekend flights being booked more fully in F than weekday and many of the flights which are full (or nearly full) in F also have less availability in Y (indicating general booking/travel patterns for the route).

The "muckety-mucks" you speak of (which I take to be an insult to anyone whose company pays for F and sends executives on the same flight as one another) probably aren't responsible for the sell-out because such mid-day, eastbound flights are at the worst possible time for business travelers. They are essentially cut off from work from lunch on. If they're important enough to fly F they're probably important enough to be needed during those times.

And what movie star, traveling with an entourage, is traveling between PHX and ORD?!?!

OP: if it's not too expensive, consider rerouting to ORD via LAX. I'm seeing lots of "7s" the afternoon of the 29th, because presumably there are more business travelers relegated to Y vs. leisure travelers buying discounted F.

Herb687 Apr 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 20642155)
More golfing at PHX than MCO, though, and MCO is more of a family destination than PHX.

MCO is a HUGE convention/trade show destination.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Until fairly recently as an EXP there were certain routes at peak times you knew might be touch and go. Now with discounted F fares the equation seems to be changing. More gate upgrades (if at all) on Saturday afternoon and evening flights. My Saturday DFW/PSP will be another nail bitter at the gate.

AA_EXP09 Apr 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded! (Post 20645801)
Surprisingly enough, I agree with everything in your post :), in particular point #3. All I'd add to that particular point, as a slightly different take on the same idea, is that AA finally applied its coach RM strategies to F, hence more levels of discounting based on its closely held algorithms because of a realization that the differences between F and Y are shrinking.

Not surprisingly, I agree with none of this.

If you look at multiple days for that route on EF, you will see several patterns emerge, such as early morning flights having significantly more F capacity than later flights, weekend flights being booked more fully in F than weekday and many of the flights which are full (or nearly full) in F also have less availability in Y (indicating general booking/travel patterns for the route).

The "muckety-mucks" you speak of (which I take to be an insult to anyone whose company pays for F and sends executives on the same flight as one another) probably aren't responsible for the sell-out because such mid-day, eastbound flights are at the worst possible time for business travelers. They are essentially cut off from work from lunch on. If they're important enough to fly F they're probably important enough to be needed during those times.

And what movie star, traveling with an entourage, is traveling between PHX and ORD?!?!

OP: if it's not too expensive, consider rerouting to ORD via LAX. I'm seeing lots of "7s" the afternoon of the 29th, because presumably there are more business travelers relegated to Y vs. leisure travelers buying discounted F.

Not to be more insulting, but I think it is a bit warranted.
Domestic F is a waste of money unless the difference is maybe $50 from Y and international F is barely needed-even someone making 6 figures can save more money just by taking one (paid) day off of work.
(Well, I lied-I would LOVE international F but only so I can burn my AV/CX/AA/UA/AC miles.)

NauticalWheeler Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 20648198)
Not to be more insulting, but I think it is a bit warranted.
Domestic F is a waste of money unless the difference is maybe $50 from Y and international F is barely needed-even someone making 6 figures can save more money just by taking one (paid) day off of work.
(Well, I lied-I would LOVE international F but only so I can burn my AV/CX/AA/UA/AC miles.)

Hmm....I value the difference between Y and F on a domestic flight at more than $50. On a 762 transcon, F is definitely worth many times more than Y.

LINDEGR Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded! (Post 20645801)

The "muckety-mucks" you speak of (which I take to be an insult to anyone whose company pays for F and sends executives on the same flight as one another)

Is muckety-mucks really offensive? We use the phrase at my firm all the time - right in front of the muckety-mucks and they seem to like it - strokes their egos.

VeniceDre Apr 25, 2013 6:15 am

Well my one and a half year upgrade streak has ended as of this morning unless someone doesn't show up to this flight (LAX - ORD 6 AM). #1 out of 18 (21 now) on the upgrade list. I booked this months in advance but I noticed last week cheap first class fares for this flight with seven seats remaining. Flight is sold out now in First.

I've noticed these discounted first fares a lot as of late. I even booked a first class round trip LAX - DFW - MCI a few weeks ago for $800 inside two weeks.

Streak had to end eventually but I'm happy it lasted this long.

AAExPlat Apr 25, 2013 8:35 am

My streak will come to an end this morning, too, unless a minor miracle happens. My basic situation is a little more concerning though, and I debated creating its own post. Here is the background:

Ticket booked in January and requested upgrade at that time. 4 days ago, I received my EWR-DFW upgrade, but not DFW-AUS. I looked up AA1651 on KVS and saw a fairly typical situation. Y sold out and F sales suspended with 6 or 7 seats left in F and none left in Y. Yesterday, I did not check in at t-24 because I was confident the upgrade would go through so I wanted to be able to change seats.

When I had not received the upgrade late last night, I checked KVS again and seats near me (row 8 and 9) and in the exit rows now showed empty and F showed fully occupied.

I have since called EXP desk and spoken to airport personnel, and by checking the other pax, they told me that every person upgraded on the flight was also EXP, but none of them were on Y/B fares, none of them used instruments, and none of them had an older time stamp than I did.

In other words, I was passed over for the upgrade.

While it is only a 30 minute flight, I am somewhat perturbed that protocol was not followed and I am concerned that this event may repeat itself.

I recommend you stay vigilant. I fly this flight 50+ times a year, so I have a very good feel for how certain things should happen when certain conditions arise, and that is the only reason I caught this.