FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Oversells AA76, Strands 27 8th Graders at LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1454553-aa-oversells-aa76-strands-27-8th-graders-lax.html)

pssteve Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am

As one who passes thru LAX a fair amount I see LAX GA's at work and they are usually very good at working out overbooked situations. I find it hard to understand why 6 volunteers couldn't be seduced into accepting a high enough offer say $1200 or $1500 with travel later the same day. Could it be that the merger managers have started to tie the hands of GA's?

nrr Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve (Post 20569171)
As one who passes thru LAX a fair amount I see LAX GA's at work and they are usually very good at working out overbooked situations. I find it hard to understand why 6 volunteers couldn't be seduced into accepting a high enough offer say $1200 or $1500 with travel later the same day. Could it be that the merger managers have started to tie the hands of GA's?

If I were on the flight, I'd have accepted half of what you suggest.:D However there are many posts here on FT, where pax have agreed to being VDB'd and later (after they lost their exit aisle seat), wound up in the last row in a middle sear--since their seat wasn't needed.:td:
[Based on info about the GA, would you have trusted what she says?--No, but only after reading this thread.]

FlyDeltaJets87 Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 20569324)
If I were on the flight, I'd have accepted half of what you suggest.:D However there are many posts here on FT, where pax have agreed to being VDB'd and later (after they lost their exit aisle seat), wound up in the last row in a middle sear--since their seat wasn't needed.:td:
[Based on info about the GA, would you have trusted what she says?--No, but only after reading this thread.]

Odd. On the bumps I've taken with AA, my seat assignment was never taken away until I was for sure going to be bumped. And then once you've received your VDB voucher and your new itinerary, you leave the gate area immediately so they cannot call you back to the flight, partially for the reason you mention, partially so you don't lose your compensation.

But yea, in many cases I would have taken a bump for far less than the $1200 amount; assuming I could still get where I needed to be when I needed to be there.

Antarius Apr 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve (Post 20569171)

Definitely. When in doubt, it has to be the merger! ;)

Dave Noble Apr 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 20568478)
At some point a business has to make rules and regulations that can be applied the majority of the time. The biggest crime here was mentioned briefly on page 3 or 4 - Sensationalist headlines created to sell news! And the key component in this is there must be clear victim and there must be a clear villain. Children stranded was a lousy stab at reducing a complex issue to 6 words or less.

So I guess this places me firmly in the AA apologist column.

I think that denying boarding to a small number of a school group is ridiculous.

If it had been the whole group, then wouldn't be an issue

mikeef Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 20569324)

I learned that the hard way. Once. After that, they didn't get my actual seat until the VDB comp was guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 20569539)

No wonder AA is merging!

Mike

ijgordon Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 20569539)

Or --- no wonder AA's bankrupt. ;)

ijgordon Apr 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20566365)
If they're not ready to deal with the hazards of traveling and being caretakers, maybe they shouldn't be leading such a large group of young humans across the country.

What does that even mean, and how is it relevant? :confused: :rolleyes:

hbtr Apr 11, 2013 12:55 am

It's not about being special or important. Its not about entitlement. The whole point is that when you IDB part of a group you impact the whole group. And when it's a children's group, the chaperone requirements that groups commonly adopt - and there are reasons that such practices are common - magnify the impact and complexity of IDB'ing only a portion of such a group. This needs to factor into the IDB decision, and if common sense isn't enough for a GA to make a decision that impacts the fewest people then a simple addition to the IDB policy would suffice - "Avoid breaking up a chaperoned group."

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 20568478)
First, I confess to skipping the middle 8 pages of posts.
Children traveling to Washington is a very cool thing.

My concern here is what constitutes for many a "special circumstance" and who gets to determine who goes first. Do we need at new TOC that reads to the effect:

School children traveling to National Capital trump School traveling for sports.
School children traveling for sports trump illness travel.
Bereavement travel trumps sports travel.
EXPs traveling trump sick adults, lose to sick children.
Death travel trumps handicapped travel.
Handicapped travel trumps sick mother, dying father
PLTs trump, well, only Gold of course...........
and so on.........

In the world of entitlement, I assure you everyone can make a very good case as to why they are the most important person on the plane (other than me, of course. DYKWIA?)

At some point a business has to make rules and regulations that can be applied the majority of the time. The biggest crime here was mentioned briefly on page 3 or 4 - Sensationalist headlines created to sell news! And the key component in this is there must be clear victim and there must be a clear villain. Children stranded was a lousy stab at reducing a complex issue to 6 words or less.

So I guess this places me firmly in the AA apologist column.

hbtr Apr 11, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20566365)
If they're not ready to deal with the hazards of traveling and being caretakers, maybe they shouldn't be leading such a large group of young humans across the country.

What would you recommend they to adequately prepare? How many chaperones are enough?

BrewerSEA Apr 11, 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 20568043)
However, this opens a whole can of worms because school policy and district or state law may have prevented this (in fact, I would be surprised if it doesn't, mandating a chaperone to student ratio).

A law mandating student:teacher ration on school trips? God I hope that we haven't gotten that ridiculous.

TrojanHorse Apr 11, 2013 5:03 am

251 posts and I wasn't going through all of them

I do take this flight often and have two middle school age kids so I'm interested if there was any resolution to what happened to the kids?

thanks

Dave Noble Apr 11, 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA (Post 20572613)
A law mandating student:teacher ration on school trips? God I hope that we haven't gotten that ridiculous.

Sorry? What would be ridiculous about having a max number of students per teacher ? would seem to come under reasonable duty of care to make sure that there are enough supervisors

turkeyRIOO Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 20573075)
Sorry? What would be ridiculous about having a max number of students per teacher ? would seem to come under reasonable duty of care to make sure that there are enough supervisors

Where has personal responsibility gone in this day and age? A law for everything? We pay the principal a sizable amount for his judgement. By the time Obama got done done with a law mandating a student teacher ratio, we would have something ridiculous like 4 seats on a 737-800 blocked by plastic tables.

jmastron Apr 11, 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 20573506)
Where has personal responsibility gone in this day and age? A law for everything? We pay the principal a sizable amount for his judgement. By the time Obama got done done with a law mandating a student teacher ratio, we would have something ridiculous like 4 seats on a 737-800 blocked by plastic tables.

:confused::rolleyes:

In the principal's professional judgement, leaving a half dozen 12 year olds stranded at LAX, even perhaps with a parent volunteer who's not trained and signed up to handle all situations, was not acceptable, and most of us here agree with him.

It's the AA GA who exercised extremely poor judgement, then tried to browbeat the principal into accepting her mistake.

Student teacher ratios are very common at all levels of school, and have been for decades (before Obama or GW Bush, for that matter), with the numbers obviously changing over time and as the kids get older. That may be a fun argument pro/con, but really isn't relevant to the issues here.

JDiver Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

The answer to your question is upthread, and included courtesy accommodation at DFW and onward travel the next day.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 20573011)
251 posts and I wasn't going through all of them

I do take this flight often and have two middle school age kids so I'm interested if there was any resolution to what happened to the kids?

thanks

mvoight Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am

The 4 seats blocked are to reduce the number of flight attendants required for the flight. Apparently AA feels the cost of having a flight attendant exceeds the revenue that would be gained from selling the seats. I am sure someone at AA did the math on this. I don't see that as ridiculous

Ambraciot Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 20574809)
I don't see that as ridiculous

The ridiculous part is that 3 FAs for 150 passengers is considered safe and normal, but 3 FAs for 151 passengers is unsafe and triggers a hefty fine/penalties. Arbitrary government rules may be preferable to an unregulated market, but being the lesser of two evils isn't the same as being good.

mikeef Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

TTO: 251 posts :rolleyes:

Mike