Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I didn't receive the promo in mail or e-mail, but I tried the code on the AA site and it let me register. Anyone else done this - did it actually go through?

If it does, I have some decisions to make for upcoming flights. I have enough flights planned that I could get to either Gold on USAir or maintain the Plat on AA. I also have a USAir credit card so I would earn the additional miles for buying the US tickets. I know they are set to merge, so the miles should combine at some point. So do you think it would be better to do the next few trips on AA and keep the Plat (assuming my registration for the promo actually went through)?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bswiz
I didn't receive the promo in mail or e-mail, but I tried the code on the AA site and it let me register. Anyone else done this - did it actually go through?
Welcome to FT.

Your registration will not work, so I would suggest not making plans based on the system not rejecting your request. Many have tried to register for things that they were not targeted for. It hasn't worked.

Cheers.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Welcome to FT.

Your registration will not work, so I would suggest not making plans based on the system not rejecting your request. Many have tried to register for things that they were not targeted for. It hasn't worked.

Cheers.
Thanks, I just came to edit my post as I saw emails about this earlier in the thread (as I work my way through it). Appreciate you confirming it just the same!

So will I not even get the short-term Plat or will miles flown just not contribute to keeping it? Because I have a trip planned to the UK in October, so even if I got the short-term Plat membership, I could earn 100% bonus miles on that flight - or am I completely wrong here?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:41 pm

Bothered in reading more in the thread. I won't be counting on instant Plat after all.

Funny thing is I just called about enrolling in a Platinum Challenge today. I then found some info regarding the HVLP3 offer and submitted the code. It went through and I just received this from AA:

Thank you for registering for the HVLP3 promotion on AA.com.

For your reference, details of this offer can be found on AA.com under view all offers, or in the communication where you learned of this promotion.

To earn the bonus miles or other incentives offered, be sure to meet all of the promotional requirements. For most promotions, activity that occurred prior to registration will not count toward qualification. In addition, please note the timeframe in which bonus miles or incentives will be awarded. These and other specific requirements are always included in the Terms and Conditions listed with the offer. Thank you for your participation.

AA.com
American Airlines

I have jumped around the thread and have read that I may not be eligible even if the code was not rejected.

If it does work, I will be in a situation in which I already paid the $240 enrollment fee.

Best case scenario: I get a refund and keep Plat status (plus the 100% mile bonus my upcoming LAX-SJU runs)

Second best scenario: No refund and get Plat status plus 100% bonus

Worst case: I get no Plat status

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited by 323kid; Aug 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by 323kid
I have jumped around the thread and have read that I may not be eligible even if the code was not rejected.
That's correct. If you're not targeted, you can write off the promo you registered for. AA will allow you to register but you will not receive the benefits unless targeted. It's been this way for years and I've yet so see someone not targeted come back and tell us about the new benefits they're enjoying.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
For the 3 month gold trial, do the 10 500-mile upgrades stay in your account after the trial period ends? Can you still use them after that?

They gave me the 3 month trial, but I won't fly enough to qualify to keep the status.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:56 pm

Got this today:

Elevating your journey is important to us, so we're offering you AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status through November 30, 2013.

You'll be eligible for elite benefits including:
Confirmed upgrades as early as 100 hours prior to departure
100% mileage bonuses on eligible flights
Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra and
Preferred Seats
Three free checked bags
Priority Access at check-in and boarding
How about Executive Platinum status through February 28, 2015? Simply register first, then start flying on American or select airlines* to earn 30,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between now and
November 30, 2013. That's all it takes to extend your newfound perks.

Once you qualify to extend your status, you will receive eight one-way systemwide upgrades good for travel anywhere American flies.

Don't forget to register by midnight (CDT) on August 15, 2013 with promotion code HVLE3 to accept this offer.
Craziness...now, do I want to do a 30k binge?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mesadler
Got this today:

Craziness...now, do I want to do a 30k binge?
Yes, in a heartbeat. I have just requalified for EXP after a crazy number of transatlantic flights. Over half of which have used eVIP upgrades to C. I am now fed up of the inside of a plane, even in business (and once F). 30K of flights vs 100K, no question!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:32 am

I was targeted and signed up. Enjoying the instant Gold.

Only, I purchased a ticket for Friday before the status change, including a Main Cabin Extra seat (which I assume is free for Gold). Will I be getting a refund for the MCE upgrade?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by The_Rockaway_Kid
I was targeted and signed up. Enjoying the instant Gold.

Only, I purchased a ticket for Friday before the status change, including a Main Cabin Extra seat (which I assume is free for Gold). Will I be getting a refund for the MCE upgrade?
Call and ask for a refund. If they direct you to the prefunds.aa.com website, tell them you want to do it over the phone because their site doesn't work most of the time. Before I had status I had to do this and it took about 2-3 weeks for the refund to post.

MCE seating is free for Golds up until the end of the year, I believe.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
So I'm sitting on the bubble for the Plat offer from April, with the offer expiring at the end of this month. I'm doing a MR to Alaska, but I will still be 500 miles short. Now, I'm not going to ask if they'll just give me the miles. But I do want to know if along with my current Plat status, I also get 500 mile mins on flights. This would make my quick hop to JFK from DC easier than to Chicago. Any ideas?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by texdoc
For the 3 month gold trial, do the 10 500-mile upgrades stay in your account after the trial period ends? Can you still use them after that?

They gave me the 3 month trial, but I won't fly enough to qualify to keep the status.
IME, and from reading, yes, and their use/clearing will be determined by status which, if one fails to complete the challenge, will expire at the end of the trial period; then, the upgrades will clear as a non-status general member, behind all elites, and may be limited in usefulness. That said, back when UA sold 500-mile upgrades, I did find use for them as a non-status member, so I imagine AA is similar. Pick flights/dates/times/segments which aren't elite-heavy and there's some chance, presuming your purchased ticket fare code matches up with the requirements of the upgrade for non-status members.

In my case, the combination of paid F flights and one MR will both meet the terms of the challenge as well as provide the flight miles to earn four more stickers during the challenge period. All in all, a productive method to 'introduce' one to the AA elite program. ^

Last edited by camachinist; Sep 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm Reason: fare code requirement
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
But I do want to know if along with my current Plat status, I also get 500 mile mins on flights. This would make my quick hop to JFK from DC easier than to Chicago. Any ideas?
AA.com/minimum mileage, FAQ #1:

Effective January 16, 2009, we are discontinuing the minimum mileage guarantee for non-elite status members for flights on American Airlines, American Eagle®, AmericanConnection®, oneworld® member airlines, AAdvantage participating airlines as well as rail service and codeshare service booked under an AA flight number. This change affects the base miles earned as well as the elite qualifying miles and points earned. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members will continue to enjoy a minimum mileage guarantee for the base miles flown on applicable routes, as well as the associated elite qualifying miles. However, the elite qualifying points earned will no longer be subject to a 500-minimum points guarantee. Instead elite members will earn points based on the class of service purchased and the actual miles earned (either the base miles or, for elite status members, the minimum mileage guarantee if applicable).
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Free AAdvantage Gold Status [Targeted Promo]

Simply enroll for this exclusive offer by September 27th, 2013 at http://www.aa.com/goldoffer using promotion code HVDGR.

You'll be eligible for all the benefits our AAdvantage Gold members enjoy, including:

25% mileage bonuses on flights
Priority Access at check-in and boarding
Two free checked bags
Complimentary access to Preferred Seats
Special upgrade privileges
Don't forget, as an added bonus, we're giving you 10 500-mile upgrades just for registering!

How about extending your AAdvantage Gold status through February 28, 2015?
Start flying and earn 4,500 elite-qualifying miles or points on American and other select airlines* between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013, to retain your elite benefits.

You only need to register once for your offer which includes: your upgrade to Gold status, 10 500-mile upgrades and the opportunity to keep your Gold status through February 2015.

Found this in SD
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:41 am

Wow..

It says it was a direct mail advert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.