Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Over deduction of SWU--delay in restoration -- what's a reasonable accommodation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over deduction of SWU--delay in restoration -- what's a reasonable accommodation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I earned 4 SWUs late in 2011 when I passed over the 1 million mile threshold. (I was living in Germany at the time). I then was deployed so I flew less than usual in 2012 but managed to use 1 SWU in April and 2 in December. AA mistakenly took 3 SWUs for my trip in December which definitely only required 2 SWUs. The SWUs expire 28 feb 2013.

I called AAdvantage customer service on/about 20 December and the agent looked into things and agreed that I should still have 1 SWU in my account. He had to place an inquiry to another department and said there was a backlog of cases like mine but that my SWU should be restored within a week. My SWU balance is still zero.

I could have used it on a transcontinental trip that I took on 5 Jan but the SWU was not restored in time. Instead, I used stickers. I won't be able to travel from now until March due to work.

If the SWU is not restored soon would it be reasonable for me to ask for an extension of the expiration date? If not, would it be reasonable for me to ask for the 5 stickers that were deducted for the transcontinental flight to be restored? Barring that, I will probably try to donate the SWU to the USO if/when the SWU is restored.

Thanks

-z
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whenever that's happened to me (and it's happened a few times), the replacement SWUs always carry a new expiration date more than a year out, so expect that the replacement (once it shows up) will likely expire 2/28/14. They won't replace it with one that expires in a few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.