FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1354721-another-disappointing-aa-f-experience-international-777-a.html)

BizFlyin Jul 3, 2012 3:51 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 18743857)
People do you realize that on many routes one or two pax fares are the profit margin that AA makes on a flight. So yeah just waste $30-$40 worth of food, AA is just raking in the gross profits anyway.

Why is that our concern? If they are not making enough money, they should streamline operations or raise fares.

Mark_T Jul 3, 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 18861274)
My feeling is: if you receive the same high level of attention and service, why does it matter to you if 4A and 4J are occupied by revenue pax or off-duty FAs? You can't even see them unless you turn your head. (Leaving personal stuff scattered around the cabin is another matter--I wouldn't like that either.)

However I have paid to get into the F cabin, I did not pay to move to the staff lounge. I don't expect passengers from Y or J to self-upgrade into empty F seats any more than I expect to find a FA doing the same.

Of course they would prefer to sit in F rather than in the seats and space their Union negotiated with AA, who wouldn't? That is not however an option that is open to them.

This is yet another aspect of the lack of management on the plane and any incidents of this should be reported.

richarddd Jul 3, 2012 4:46 am

I agree with ESpen36. If you're getting proper service, why do you care where the FAs sit?

Mark_T Jul 3, 2012 4:50 am

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 18862267)
I agree with ESpen36. If you're getting proper service, why do you care where the FAs sit?

If it is OK for them then how about other passengers going to sleep in spare F seats?

If they are just sleeping there and not consuming F food, drinks and FA time what difference would it make and why would you care?

gegarrenton Jul 3, 2012 5:01 am

I actually thought this was one point were nobody was going to apologize for obvious incorrect behavior. Man, was I wrong.

AAerSTL Jul 3, 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 18861274)
I have spoken with a bunch of FAs about this issue, and in their defense, several of them have told me that the designated crewrest space in the middle of the Y cabin makes them feel claustrophobic. So, they much prefer to use unoccupied F seats.

My feeling is: if you receive the same high level of attention and service, why does it matter to you if 4A and 4J are occupied by revenue pax or off-duty FAs? You can't even see them unless you turn your head. (Leaving personal stuff scattered around the cabin is another matter--I wouldn't like that either.)

That's the best you could come up with? Don't you think the passengers in 38E feel 'claustrophobic' and would like more space in a F seat? The FAs will always say that their union championed all these improvements in work rules for them, well clearly they weren't successful in regards to the crew rest. When I hear of things like this, it just makes me more glad AA is going to soon impose terms to make the work lives of the FAs unpleasant, substantially reduce the number of F seats (meaning relatively fewer FAs and fewer opportunities for NRSAs in premium cabins).

It's just not professional to have service employees (and yes FAs are service employees, they can cover up with safety professionals all they want but it doesn't change the reality) occupying seats in the presence of paying customers.

AAerSTL Jul 3, 2012 6:04 am

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 18861344)
Would you care to expound on that? Is it the caste system in play here?

Of course there is where have you been? I'd sooner lose my confirmed F/J seat to a member of management traveling positive space than keep my seat and have non-revs in the cabin with me.

AAerSTL Jul 3, 2012 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 18862273)
If it is OK for them then how about other passengers going to sleep in spare F seats?

If they are just sleeping there and not consuming F food, drinks and FA time what difference would it make and why would you care?

Because they have been hired by the airline do a job and not lounge around in passenger areas watching movies, eating customer food, and rummaging through their belongings during the flight. You NEVER hear about things like this on airlines providing a real first class experience like BA, CX, LH, LX, SQ, etc. You don't go to a hotel and see the employees using the main guest entrance, restaurant employees don't eat comped meals in the presence of customers, retail employees don't take their lunch breaks at their registers it's just common courtesy. Clearly the AA FAs lack judgement and coaching in this area, and I agree 100% AA needs to have an on board supervisor to monitor FA behavior and intervene when necessary.

richarddd Jul 3, 2012 6:38 am

It's not our business whether or not this is ok

Yep. What business is it of ours what other people do so long as it doesn't have an impact on us?

sts603 Jul 3, 2012 6:40 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 18862497)
Of course there is where have you been? I'd sooner lose my confirmed F/J seat to a member of management traveling positive space than keep my seat and have non-revs in the cabin with me.

You're losing credibility with statements like that :rolleyes:

richarddd Jul 3, 2012 6:40 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 18862516)
Clearly the AA FAs lack judgement and coaching in this area, and I agree 100% AA needs to have an on board supervisor to monitor FA behavior and intervene when necessary.

This has been episode 145,368 of "I can run an airline better than the airline's management."

AAerSTL Jul 3, 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 18862644)
You're losing credibility with statements like that :rolleyes:

Well isn't it an accepted fact that senior management are afforded more privileges and access to company resources than the rank and file? Not saying its right or wrong, that's just the fact. No different than our travel policy, different threshold for flight duration for senior managing directors to get F/J seating, different hotels standards too. For better or worse thats how the world works as I've said and as BizFlyin alluded.

Upgraded! Jul 3, 2012 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral (Post 18860557)
This is why I prefer to fly BA in a paid premium cabin. BA employees are not allowed to fly in F as a nonrev. The 1st time I saw a FA sleeping in an unoccupied F seat internationally 2 years ago was enough for me. They do have bunks hidden in Y.

I'd have preferred to fly BA F as well, but the fare (even w/o the fuel surcharges) was considerably higher, plus I couldn't have used a SWU to upgrade. I suppose it's an issue of getting what you pay for...

Just to be clear, there is still a difference, IMO, between on-duty crew using premium seats for rest (other than the pilots, who have them by contract) and non-revs booking them on a space-available basis, so long as the latter does so incognito.

And like I said, while this didn't diminish the service, it was disrespectful to anyone who'd paid significant money for the seats (you paid $xxxx to sit here but I'm going to use it simply because I can) and to AA (we reserve these as our most premium seats and charge high fares for them but you don't seem to recognize that).

I am mildly troubled by the attitude that "an empty F seat is there for me to do whatever I want with it" rather than "an F seat is something very expensive and is empty because it was too expensive for 15 people to pay for". Overall I consider that disrespectful to those who did pay and the airline selling the seats.

elitetraveler Jul 3, 2012 7:48 am

There are often open seats in the ACs when I visit. I am sure it is nicer than the break room space they are supposed to use.

Any reason the AA employees working at the airport shouldn't pop in and relax during their breaks, or maybe when they finish a shift?

richarddd Jul 3, 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 18862944)
There are often open seats in the ACs when I visit. I am sure it is nicer than the break room space they are supposed to use.

Any reason the AA employees working at the airport shouldn't pop in and relax during their breaks, or maybe when they finish a shift?

Someone in another F seat doesn't impinge on my space. More people in the AC makes it more crowded and can impinge on my space

In either event, however, it wouldn't matter if it were an FA or a passenger. Both would have the same effect.