Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SFO - Best strategy for SWU to First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
LHR-SFO - Best strategy for SWU to First?

hi all--I'm planning to fly back from LHR to SFO this summer, and trying to decide on optimal routing on american metal. I'm planning on purchasing a biz special fare and using a SWU to get to first.

Basically, I'm trying to decide between two strategies:

1) maximize my time in Int'l First, and just "deal" with domestic first, e.g., LHR-LAX-SFO, or

2) connect through JFK, with a shorter Int'l First section, but picking up AFS F on a 762 all the way back to SFO.

thoughts?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I am going to Germany for Oktoberfest and I just called the EXP desk and they looked at flights and dates that the SWU seats were available for a confirmed upgrade. They were helpful and great about it. I'd give that a shot.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by saucesee
hi all--I'm planning to fly back from LHR to SFO this summer, and trying to decide on optimal routing on american metal. I'm planning on purchasing a biz special fare and using a SWU to get to first.

Basically, I'm trying to decide between two strategies:

1) maximize my time in Int'l First, and just "deal" with domestic first, e.g., LHR-LAX-SFO, or

2) connect through JFK, with a shorter Int'l First section, but picking up AFS F on a 762 all the way back to SFO.

thoughts?
I lean towards 1. 772 F is better than 762 F, and I would trade the 762 F for the extra 772 time even "dealing" with an hour in domestic F. To me, the LHR-JFK flight would be too short to really sleep well on, whereas LHR-LAX would be near perfect to me, have a meal, go to sleep, wake up not too far outside of LAX.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
If you think you would sleep fine even on a daytime TATL then take the LAX flight. If you plan on staying up I would consider connecting in JFK to break up the trip.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
If you think you would sleep fine even on a daytime TATL then take the LAX flight. If you plan on staying up I would consider connecting in JFK to break up the trip.
hmm, I forgot to consider the 762's inflight WiFi, which the 777 lacks.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'd take the 777 to LAX. But seriously, why screw around with AA when you can take BA from LHR? I'm probably in the minority here but why not just take BA CW? AA F is nothing amazing when you can have more professional service from BA. Depending on the fare you purchase you may even be able to upgrade to FIRST with AA miles!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I'd take the 777 to LAX. But seriously, why screw around with AA when you can take BA from LHR? I'm probably in the minority here but why not just take BA CW? AA F is nothing amazing when you can have more professional service from BA. Depending on the fare you purchase you may even be able to upgrade to FIRST with AA miles!
I strongly disagree. Obviously it's subjective, but IMO only BA J's hard product beats AA J. If the comparison was F vs. F I would vote BA.

OP plans on purchasing a business special fare, which is not upgradeable on BA using AA miles.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I strongly disagree. Obviously it's subjective, but IMO only BA J's hard product beats AA J. If the comparison was F vs. F I would vote BA.

OP plans on purchasing a business special fare, which is not upgradeable on BA using AA miles.
To be clear my preferences are:
BA F>BA CW>AA F>AA J

I'd still take BA CW on a non-stop flight over AA F, just my opinion.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer

It may be upgradeable at the airport for cash. ~ 399 GBP.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:40 pm

BA F>BA CW>AA F>AA J

The nonstop is definitely a factor. I'd probably take the nonstop in CW over AA J if the mileage earning wasn't significantly different.

For daytime flights I would rank BA F > AA F > AA J > BA J and for overnights AA F > BA F > BA J > AA J. This has been discussed to death in the past of course
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I think the Upper Deck J on BA isn't far behind AA F or indeed BA F. As the OP is EXP then he can get a good seat up there. That would certainly be my preference although I'd take any opportunity BA gave me to upgrade to F.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I disagree that BA CW (Business) is better than AA-F (regardless of time of the flight). The AA 777F seat is so private and comfy!

Since the OP is looking at a discounted business fare, he could upgrade to F on BA IF he is offered an upgrade for cash by BA online (res has to be done on ba.com) or ask at the airport for an upgrade for cash IF available.
Too many "IF"s involved with BA.

I have had my upgrades to F from J on AA clear at time of booking. So, if I was the OP I would call AA and check whether LHR-LAX or LHR-JFK upgrades can be confirmed. IF both are available, it is a tough call. Both have its pros and cons. I would probably pick the one that gets me to SFO the earliest

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:33 pm
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK
Definitely via LAX onto the 777. Much better flight, given the amount of time you'll have to actually enjoy the dinner, then get a full night's sleep. From JFK you barely have time to get some shut-eye before you're landing.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Since 1) I'm got plenty of SWUs around and 2) BA F is not a given were I to buy BA CW, I think I'm going to look for the 777 F through LAX (this would also be my first time in AA IFS F).

And with my expertflyer subscription, I won't have to call the desk for a peek at inventory...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
BA F>BA CW>AA F>AA J

If you are short on time, I can see this as a viable option. But AA F has so much more space compared to BA CW, I would definitely prefer AA F over BA CW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.