Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How exactly do you upgrade a coach fare to business using miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. I understand how to upgrade using PLT upgrades, but if I want to use miles to upgrade a fare, how/when do I do it? Also, can I use American Aadvantage miles to upgrade a oneworld fare? How would I do that?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyingdervish
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. I understand how to upgrade using PLT upgrades, but if I want to use miles to upgrade a fare, how/when do I do it? Also, can I use American Aadvantage miles to upgrade a oneworld fare? How would I do that?
You have to call AA to upgrade with miles. There is usually a co-pay involved, and of course the upgrade is subject to the availability of the appropriate inventory.

I don't know what you mean by a oneWorld fare, but you cannot upgrade on any other airline using AA miles. The flight has to be on AA metal and bear an AA flight number.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:15 am

The short answer is you call.

AA mileage upgrade can only be used on an AA flight, if you bought it as an AA flight number, on an AA ticket stock.

You can find all the details on mileage upgrade on AA's site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't know what you mean by a oneWorld fare, but you cannot upgrade on any other airline using AA miles. The flight has to be on AA metal and bear an AA flight number.
The OP may have purchased a Oneworld fare product.

Also, since last October, AA miles can be used to upgrade on select partner airlines, such as BA or IB. I imagine that when JAL has fully commenced JBV with AA, that JL flights would be eligible for upgrade with AA miles as well.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ckpeter
The OP may have purchased a Oneworld fare product.

Also, since last October, AA miles can be used to upgrade on select partner airlines, such as BA or IB. I imagine that when JAL has fully commenced JBV with AA, that JL flights would be eligible for upgrade with AA miles as well.
If so, I stand corrected. Are there fare restrictions? Also on BA TATL I imagine that you can only upgrade to J from WT+? Or am I just hopelessly confused?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
If so, I stand corrected. Are there fare restrictions? Also on BA TATL I imagine that you can only upgrade to J from WT+? Or am I just hopelessly confused?
I don't have too much experience, but looks like at the moment, only full fare is eligible and you are right that it is next cabin upgrade only, so Y -> WT+ and WT+ -> J.

The pricing is tailored more toward premium fare travelers than discount fare travelers.

Details on AA site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp
Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AA upgrade awards North America - Europe state that a one-way award can cover up to three segments. Do these allow a stop over?

I understand that a SFO-LAX-LHR same-day will be covered. What if you have SFO-LAX on day 1 and LAX-LHR on day 3? Will it still be covered under one one-way upgrade?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Others have already jumped in with specifics, but in the future, should you need more general information, feel free to check out our forum's FAQ, where we're gathered information to help with a variety of issues/questions.

FAQ Link

Entry for "How can I upgrade on AA?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.