Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Did It Cost You To Become/Retain EXP status for 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I spent 15.5KUSD up to the 100K mile point. Another 1K after that with an additional ~0.8K later this month.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by siankaan1
By my understanding of the question, 32 usable replies so far.

Minimum = $2,600
Maximum = $36,500
Mean = $12,498 (average spend)
Median = $8,350 (16 spent more, 16 spent less)
Standard Deviation (entire population basis) = $9,357

Methodology:

Excluded last year info, excluded incomplete info (e.g., fare without taxes)
When reported cost resulted in >100K EQM/EQP, prorated cost back to exactly 100
Counted vouchers at reported value

Note considerable variance possibly due to DEQM.
This is an example of how NOT to use statistics, as the OP has violated some of the basic rules. To use statistics the way the OP has requires that the distribution be Gaussian (bell shaped/normal), and clearly the data are not! Such conclusions from this application would be that about 17% of the flyers were paid by AA sums up to $9364 to qualify. (Those that were between 1 and 2 Standard Deviations below the mean).

With such small numbers, the OP should have taken the log of how much each flyer spent and then tested the distribution to see if it was Gaussian. Another and far more practical approach would have been to rank the costs of each flyer, and report what those at percentiles such as 5, 25, 50, 75, and 95 had spent.

We all would have been in line if AA were paying us to qualify for EXP!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
This is an example of how NOT to use statistics, as the OP has violated some of the basic rules. To use statistics the way the OP has requires that the distribution be Gaussian (bell shaped/normal), and clearly the data are not! Such conclusions from this application would be that about 17% of the flyers were paid by AA sums up to $9364 to qualify. (Those that were between 1 and 2 Standard Deviations below the mean).

With such small numbers, the OP should have taken the log of how much each flyer spent and then tested the distribution to see if it was Gaussian. Another and far more practical approach would have been to rank the costs of each flyer, and report what those at percentiles such as 5, 25, 50, 75, and 95 had spent.

OCD much?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
OCD much?
Or CDO.... if OCD'ers had their way with the letter order.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
If I do make it, It seems I will be in the neighborhood of $2750-$3750 spent towards EXP.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Actually, a good point about the mean and standard deviation (I hadn't looked at the form of the distribution). The median, though, is distribution-independent and does provide useful information about the population.

Without looking at the actual distribution of the numbers, I'm guessing it's bimodally-distributed. It it actually is, this is consistent with the comment above that the modes of the distribution are based on who is paying

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Im guessing poisson distribution. Jk

Also did those who had overnight mileage runs add hotel and visa costs?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum

None of what I wrote posits a distribution. The mean and standard deviation of the sample are what they are.

Obviously the distribution is not normal and I did not suggest it was, I'm not the one who calculated that "17% of the flyers were paid by AA sums up to $9364 to qualify", you did that and then accused me of treating the distribution as normal.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
None of what I wrote posits a distribution. The mean and standard deviation of the sample are what they are.
I think the point is that, while mean and standard deviation are just formulae and can be calculated for any distribution just by plugging in, the meaning and significance of these values, especially the standard deviation, are held to have little predictive significance or value in non-Gaussian distributions. In other words, it's a number that can be computed, but may not tell us much if the distribution is not normal.

I still think it was a nice treatment, even if only the median has significance

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by brp
I think the point is that, while mean and standard deviation are just formulae and can be calculated for any distribution just by plugging in, the meaning and significance of these values, especially the standard deviation, are held to have little predictive significance or value in non-Gaussian distributions. In other words, it's a number that can be computed, but may not tell us much if the distribution is not normal.

I still think it was a nice treatment, even if only the median has significance

Cheers.
I agree, standard deviation is of little or no use without a hypothesis for the distribution and I could (should) have left it off. Mean of course conveys information.

Last edited by siankaan1; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Trips 2010 = 26
Spend to date = $16,031
Average flight cost = $615
Median = $503

Cheapest flight = $229 (BOS<->SJC)
Priciest flight = $1645 (BOS<->DFW, in Y no less)

Last edited by gamehendge2000; Nov 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
$0 for me, but for my company, probably $12,000-$15,000.

Mainly domestic, average ticket price is usually just under $400 with ~4 legs. Qualified in June so I just factored what it cost to get me back to EXP. I'll probably fly about 150% what was required to get to EXP this year. I've been deferring as much Q4 travel as possible to Q1 since it's diminishing returns now
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:34 pm

Obviously the distribution is not normal and I did not suggest it was, I'm not the one who calculated that "17% of the flyers were paid by AA sums up to $9364 to qualify", you did that and then accused me of treating the distribution as normal.
The basic point is that some of the data you provided was very valuable, and I suspect we all endorse what you did, but it was in how you did it that I had a minor squabble. If you provide the statistics that you did, then the assumption is that the distribution is Gaussian. It may be what BRP suggests of being bimodal, but it clearly does not support the statistical treatment you provided. Hence the conclusions do not make sense. If you provide the median and the SD, then the data that corresponds to about 17% of the flyers had negative values (i.e. were rewarded for flying rather than paid).

Just use cutoff values, (i.e. what someone at the 25th and 75th, and/or 5th and 95th percentile paid) and it will make sense to all who read your post.

Great idea. I look forward to seeing this (your) data next year!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:27 am

The basic point is that some of the data you provided was very valuable, and I suspect we all endorse what you did, but it was in how you did it that I had a minor squabble. If you provide the statistics that you did, then the assumption is that the distribution is Gaussian. It may be what BRP suggests of being bimodal, but it clearly does not support the statistical treatment you provided. Hence the conclusions do not make sense. If you provide the median and the SD, then the data that corresponds to about 17% of the flyers had negative values (i.e. were rewarded for flying rather than paid).

Just use cutoff values, (i.e. what someone at the 25th and 75th, and/or 5th and 95th percentile paid) and it will make sense to all who read your post.

Great idea. I look forward to seeing this (your) data next year!
Thanks. I'll update it after year end if people continue to post new information to this thread.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:59 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
probably 13k total. 2-3k on MR/personal travel to get me to EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.