Search

Using EXP upgrades on an itinerary with 3 people

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Using EXP upgrades on an itinerary with 3 people

Hi folks,

My dad is a new EXP and just booked the following award itinerary (3 tickets, all on the same PNR):

JFK->LAX->HNL
HNL->LAX->JFK

My understanding is that as an EXP he will be entitled to 2 complimentary J/F upgrades on this route for himself and mom. How does he get the upgrade for the third person (my sister)? Can he use his leftover stickers in addition to the 2 complimentary upgrades, or does he have to use 2 EVIPs on it?

I'm also guessing he'll have to contact the EXP desk to take care of this? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Hi folks,

My dad is a new EXP and just booked the following award itinerary (3 tickets, all on the same PNR):

JFK->LAX->HNL
HNL->LAX->JFK

My understanding is that as an EXP he will be entitled to 2 complimentary J/F upgrades on this route for himself and mom. How does he get the upgrade for the third person (my sister)? Can he use his leftover stickers in addition to the 2 complimentary upgrades, or does he have to use 2 EVIPs on it?

I'm also guessing he'll have to contact the EXP desk to take care of this? Thanks in advance!
Lots of misunderstandings here (I'm counting 5).

Award tickets cannot be upgraded. There is an exception (LFBU) but the chances are basically close to zero and he would pay about $450 per person each way if he is offered this option at the kiosk.

Even on revenue tickets, your dad and a companion are not entitled to upgrades unless upgrade inventory is available. Also, upgrades for a non-EXP companion are not complimentary. And only one companion can be sticker-upgraded.

Award seats are not upgradable even with VIPs.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you can't ug an award ticket iirc...if the tickets were purchased, he could ug himself +1....
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Gotcha. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's a good link to a page on aa.com - "The Who, What, When, And How Of Upgrading", and there is a lot of good information here in the FAQ and in the Wiki (links in the FAQ and elsewhere) on upgrading self and others.

This is likely to be merged into an existing thread - we like to keep like information together, as it makes it easier to find by those who use the Search tool, and because many questions have already been asked and answered (some many times).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.