Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Power Ports on Domestic 757 Disabled Sept 2010 - to be fixed by "end of 2011"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power Ports on Domestic 757 Disabled Sept 2010 - to be fixed by "end of 2011"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Just did DFW-LAX today on a 75 the power ports were dead.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Has anyone been on an internationally-configured 757 since Sepember 1, 2010? I am considering a flight from ORD to DUB and am curious as to whether or not the power ports that are just electric outlets (not cigarette lighter types that require an adapter) are also disabled.

My flights to and from Anchorage over Labor Day had disabled power ports; the flight home was not too bad since I slept (or tried to sleep) most of he flight. I read and watched dvds until my battery died on the flight from DFW to ANC.

75L are not affected because they use a different technology. Domestic 757 us DC power and 75L/738D use AC 110V. I was told by a FA they are a fire hazard due to a short and that they were rerouting some wire but you never know.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
I flew one of the last seasonal ANC-DFW with no power ports. I wrote in that this should be streamlined since its been a month already. They apologized with 10,000 miles which I was not expecting. I really would rather have my power ports but I bought an extra batter so I guess all is well.

BTW: Flew new 737 with new plug outlets and they did not work either
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:11 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
guys buy a macbook pro ! 9hs of battery...
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JAFU007
I flew one of the last seasonal ANC-DFW with no power ports. I wrote in that this should be streamlined since its been a month already. They apologized with 10,000 miles which I was not expecting. I really would rather have my power ports but I bought an extra batter so I guess all is well.

Was there a problem with the 737 outlets or were they simply not powered on? What did the FA say about it?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott-Ti, IHG-P
How do they determine comp?

I flew BOS-DFW, LAS-DFW, and DFW-BOS last week all on 757 w/o power. Sent and email to Customer Relations this morning. Got a reply within 1 hour - but only 5000 miles. I wonder how they determine comp?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:50 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmp614
I flew BOS-DFW, LAS-DFW, and DFW-BOS last week all on 757 w/o power. Sent and email to Customer Relations this morning. Got a reply within 1 hour - but only 5000 miles. I wonder how they determine comp?
One never knows, but it seems to be a combination of length of flight, severity of complaint, status, fare paid, and perhaps even the mysterious "Eagle" notation in our files.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP

Different route same results - MIA-DFW 757 power disabled. DFW-SNA 737 with no operational outlets. Tried both in my row. FA response 'its ALL on'
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Power on 737-800s

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Different route same results - MIA-DFW 757 power disabled. DFW-SNA 737 with no operational outlets. Tried both in my row. FA response 'its ALL on'
Note that the 738s can be finicky... Most AC to DC transformers (your laptop power brick) suck in a good amount of inrush current when you first plug them in. This frequently trips the per-seat circuit breaker, rendering the outlet dead. I've found that if you plug in, trip, wait for light to turn green, plug in again, [rinse and repeat] enough times, you can get the transformer powered up past the inrush draw. The laptop power draw itself is low enough to stay within the per-seat power spec on the plane.

This is actually one reason I really like DC on AA flights -- I don't have to use my power brick with Lenovo's DC to DC transformer. Alas, that seems to be going away these days...

Note that I only figured this little trick out after a couple flights where I also got the 'everything's on' reply. Good luck!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDallas
Note that the 738s can be finicky... Most AC to DC transformers (your laptop power brick) suck in a good amount of inrush current when you first plug them in. This frequently trips the per-seat circuit breaker, rendering the outlet dead. I've found that if you plug in, trip, wait for light to turn green, plug in again, [rinse and repeat] enough times, you can get the transformer powered up past the inrush draw. The laptop power draw itself is low enough to stay within the per-seat power spec on the plane.

This is actually one reason I really like DC on AA flights -- I don't have to use my power brick with Lenovo's DC to DC transformer. Alas, that seems to be going away these days...

Note that I only figured this little trick out after a couple flights where I also got the 'everything's on' reply. Good luck!
If your laptop permits it, yank the battery. Sometimes powering the laptop and charging the battery at the same time can also push the outlet over the limit. Save those documents often!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Flow BOS-LAX on 757 about two weeks ago. I knew the power port were not working. I complained anyways stating I had to finish a $100 million project plan before midnight and I was unable to complete it because of the lack of power.

Got 5000 miles out of it
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by jbdk
Flow BOS-LAX on 757 about two weeks ago. I knew the power port were not working. I complained anyways stating I had to finish a $100 million project plan before midnight and I was unable to complete it because of the lack of power.

Got 5000 miles out of it
5000 miles for not finishing a $100M project; I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Considering he waited until the last minute to finish it, it's about all he can hope for.
Of course, I think it would be fraud for someone to lie about something like that in order to get something more than the would have received had they not lie.... but that just me.
So, heck, he lost out on a $100 million project, but did get $100 worh of miles.
If he's happy about it, I guess they had a really slim pofit margins for that job.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it was a personal goal to finish the plans before the end of the day. It was not DUE be midnight

I probably could have left that out and still got the miles.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpj
guys buy a macbook pro ! 9hs of battery...
Since you're advocating that others make the same choice that you do, I'll chime in and say buy a book!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.