FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   JFK-MXP and back - how are the flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1119312-jfk-mxp-back-how-flights.html)

krystle920 Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm

JFK-MXP and back - how are the flights?

I've never flown a US carrier before for international flights, especially to Europe. How are AA 198 and AA 199 for flights between JFK and MXP? I'm flying coach so I'm wondering if there would be free food and drinks served. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and they always seem to serve free wines with meals. I'm assuming AA would at least provide pillows and blankets. Any other tips from those who have flown these legs would be appreciated. Thanks!

elitetraveler Aug 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by krystle920 (Post 14534174)
I've never flown a US carrier before for international flights, especially to Europe. How are AA 198 and AA 199 for flights between JFK and MXP? I'm flying coach so I'm wondering if there would be free food and drinks served. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and they always seem to serve free wines with meals. I'm assuming AA would at least provide pillows and blankets. Any other tips from those who have flown these legs would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can view some pictures of typical AA TATL Y meals at the link below. The meals are complimentary:

http://www.airlinemeals.net/browseme...1&type=economy

I'll leave it to others to comment about blankets, pillows and comp alcohol since this may have changed since the last time I had the pleasure of flying AA Y to/from Europe. Be assured that Italy will be the highlight of the trip :D

vrbaba Aug 23, 2010 9:20 pm

No comp alcohol. Do you have AA or Oneworld status?

ty97 Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm

You will get a pillow, blanket, earbuds (for the overhead entertainment) and you will get two meals. Beer and wine will cost you.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 24, 2010 5:21 am

The food in back is fairly disgusting and not much of it (unless you are a light eater.) I would suggest bringing some snacks along. If you are AA EXP/One World Emerald, at least you will get decent free food and booze in the FL.

raistlin Aug 24, 2010 6:58 am

Originally Posted by krystle920 (Post 14534174)

Beware that MXP is one terrible airport ;-)

old3 Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am

MXP was the tightest MR turnaround I've done.

jcooper90 Aug 24, 2010 11:43 am

Just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip that started and ended in MXP..

Flew JFK-MXP both ways....

You'll most likely be on a 767-300 -

Meals are pretty bland.....Beef or Pasta.....

Flight time is just a bit shorter than the JFK-FCO flights (hehe).

On board - IFE will be on screens overhead - you'll get 2 movies....

As everyone else said - drinks will cost you...

Lounge Access at MXP was the BA lounge - it was alright...nothing too fancy (except the fountain in the middle of the room).

For reference in MXP - the airport is undergoing a bit of construction now on the outside...made for a bit longer walk from the rental car counter - but nothing horrible..

raistlin Aug 24, 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by old3 (Post 14536331)
MXP was the tightest MR turnaround I've done.

That's because for a MR you don't have to go through customs, retrieve luggage, or connect to the real city 50 km away.

Solmaya Sep 21, 2014 8:17 am

I know this is a REALLY old thread, just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently, flight 199 JFK-MXP and if the aircraft is newer retrofitted style or not.

raistlin Sep 21, 2014 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Solmaya (Post 23559035)
I know this is a REALLY old thread, just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently, flight 199 JFK-MXP and if the aircraft is newer retrofitted style or not.

New or old, you're much better off flying AZ on that route.

JonNYC Sep 21, 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 23559272)
New or old, you're much better off flying AZ on that route.

Riiiiight, that's how we do it.

So, since the AA/OW component is to be disregarded, apparently, why fly either of these dogcart, lucky to still be in business, bottom-of-the-barrel airlines (AA or AZ) and fly F on Emirates on this route?

seawolf Sep 21, 2014 9:58 am

JFK-MXP and back - how are the flights?

If you are paying J, definitely consider Emirates. If economy and have access to MCE for legroom, AA is worth considering.

blakepilot Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Solmaya (Post 23559035)

If you're coming from PVR as your location might suggest, connect at DFW to LHR on BA192/AA78, then LHR-LIN instead of MXP. You'll be much closer to Milan (10-15 minutes vs an hour), and you'll avoid the 767 altogether.

Solmaya Sep 21, 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by blakepilot (Post 23559468)
If you're coming from PVR as your location might suggest, connect at DFW to LHR on BA192/AA78, then LHR-LIN instead of MXP. You'll be much closer to Milan (10-15 minutes vs an hour), and you'll avoid the 767 altogether.

We are CUN - JFK, JFK- MXP, already booked. Economy :-( budget constraints.

MXP-MIA, MIA -CUN.

Wish we could swing a foreign carrier, but our price RT on AA was too hard to pass up.