JFK-MXP and back - how are the flights?

Old Aug 23, 10, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

I've never flown a US carrier before for international flights, especially to Europe. How are AA 198 and AA 199 for flights between JFK and MXP? I'm flying coach so I'm wondering if there would be free food and drinks served. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and they always seem to serve free wines with meals. I'm assuming AA would at least provide pillows and blankets. Any other tips from those who have flown these legs would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 10, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krystle920 View Post
I've never flown a US carrier before for international flights, especially to Europe. How are AA 198 and AA 199 for flights between JFK and MXP? I'm flying coach so I'm wondering if there would be free food and drinks served. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and they always seem to serve free wines with meals. I'm assuming AA would at least provide pillows and blankets. Any other tips from those who have flown these legs would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can view some pictures of typical AA TATL Y meals at the link below. The meals are complimentary:

http://www.airlinemeals.net/browseme...1&type=economy

I'll leave it to others to comment about blankets, pillows and comp alcohol since this may have changed since the last time I had the pleasure of flying AA Y to/from Europe. Be assured that Italy will be the highlight of the trip
Old Aug 23, 10, 9:20 pm

No comp alcohol. Do you have AA or Oneworld status?
Old Aug 23, 10, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
You will get a pillow, blanket, earbuds (for the overhead entertainment) and you will get two meals. Beer and wine will cost you.
Old Aug 24, 10, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The food in back is fairly disgusting and not much of it (unless you are a light eater.) I would suggest bringing some snacks along. If you are AA EXP/One World Emerald, at least you will get decent free food and booze in the FL.
Old Aug 24, 10, 6:58 am

Programs: AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+), BA Silver
Originally Posted by krystle920 View Post
Beware that MXP is one terrible airport ;-)
Old Aug 24, 10, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM
MXP was the tightest MR turnaround I've done.
Old Aug 24, 10, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip that started and ended in MXP..

Flew JFK-MXP both ways....

You'll most likely be on a 767-300 -

Meals are pretty bland.....Beef or Pasta.....

Flight time is just a bit shorter than the JFK-FCO flights (hehe).

On board - IFE will be on screens overhead - you'll get 2 movies....

As everyone else said - drinks will cost you...

Lounge Access at MXP was the BA lounge - it was alright...nothing too fancy (except the fountain in the middle of the room).

For reference in MXP - the airport is undergoing a bit of construction now on the outside...made for a bit longer walk from the rental car counter - but nothing horrible..
Old Aug 24, 10, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by old3 View Post
MXP was the tightest MR turnaround I've done.
That's because for a MR you don't have to go through customs, retrieve luggage, or connect to the real city 50 km away.
Old Sep 21, 14, 8:17 am

I know this is a REALLY old thread, just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently, flight 199 JFK-MXP and if the aircraft is newer retrofitted style or not.
Old Sep 21, 14, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Solmaya View Post
I know this is a REALLY old thread, just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently, flight 199 JFK-MXP and if the aircraft is newer retrofitted style or not.
New or old, you're much better off flying AZ on that route.
Old Sep 21, 14, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raistlin View Post
New or old, you're much better off flying AZ on that route.
Riiiiight, that's how we do it.

So, since the AA/OW component is to be disregarded, apparently, why fly either of these dogcart, lucky to still be in business, bottom-of-the-barrel airlines (AA or AZ) and fly F on Emirates on this route?
Old Sep 21, 14, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT

If you are paying J, definitely consider Emirates. If economy and have access to MCE for legroom, AA is worth considering.
Old Sep 21, 14, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Solmaya View Post
If you're coming from PVR as your location might suggest, connect at DFW to LHR on BA192/AA78, then LHR-LIN instead of MXP. You'll be much closer to Milan (10-15 minutes vs an hour), and you'll avoid the 767 altogether.
Old Sep 21, 14, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
If you're coming from PVR as your location might suggest, connect at DFW to LHR on BA192/AA78, then LHR-LIN instead of MXP. You'll be much closer to Milan (10-15 minutes vs an hour), and you'll avoid the 767 altogether.

We are CUN - JFK, JFK- MXP, already booked. Economy :-( budget constraints.

MXP-MIA, MIA -CUN.

Wish we could swing a foreign carrier, but our price RT on AA was too hard to pass up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: