FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Announces Expanded Benefits For AAdvantage Elite Members [award-related fees] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1110728-aa-announces-expanded-benefits-aadvantage-elite-members-award-related-fees.html)

UA Fan Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm

So now all the major carriers allow award redposits for free right?

Surgee Jul 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 14380667)
Of course, by the time the close-in fee kicks in, most saver awards are unavailable.

Yes for AA, but not for partners! CX and QF premium cabin availability is often excellent in the days before departure when the seats have gone unsold.

If this is true about close-in fees, this is great!

If its true about no-redeposit fees for EXP, this is HUGE! Finally, AA will match UA and CO top tier policies and this definitely gives me that extra reasoning to go for EXP this year!!

Hyperacusis Jul 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters (Post 14380967)
Yes for AA, but not for partners! CX and QF premium cabin availability is often excellent in the days before departure when the seats have gone unsold.

If this is true about close-in fees, this is great!

If its true about no-redeposit fees for EXP, this is HUGE! Finally, AA will match UA and CO top tier policies and this definitely gives me that extra reasoning to go for EXP this year!!

Definitely great news from an AA perspective. This was always one of the plusses of being a CO Plat.

tt7 Jul 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters (Post 14380967)
CX and QF premium cabin availability is often excellent in the days before departure when the seats have gone unsold.

That may be true for CX (I don't really know) but QF? QF has a long-standing reputation for allowing seats to go out empty rather than open them up for award tickets.

Case in point - flying BNE-MEL a few weeks ago on a mileage ticket in J on a Saturday afternoon. We get to the airport early, in time to catch the two+-hours-earlier-than-our-flight previous flight. Enquire as to availability on that earlier flight. Get a curt "not available." Dealing with QF I've learnt that it's a waste of time to ask "OK, there may be no award seats in inventory but are there open seats <<there were it subsequently appears at least 5, based on what they were willing to sell>> and, if so, would you please call and see if they will open up two of them for two oneworld Emeralds, so we don't sit in your lounge, eating and drinking at your expense for the next two hours." Would have been a win-win all round. QF? Not a chance.

Thunderroad Jul 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Great news if true!

ilovetofly Jul 28, 2010 2:02 pm

If it is true, it would be a great improvement.

Hyperacusis Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by tt7 (Post 14381386)
That may be true for CX (I don't really know) but QF? QF has a long-standing reputation for allowing seats to go out empty rather than open them up for award tickets.

I don't understand this either. BA has done this too. I do understand wanting to "protect" your premium product from the lowly masses, but in today's economic climate, it surely can't hurt to get those outstanding miles off your books, can it?

demkr Jul 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Great news. Now stop making me pay $75 copay on a domestic flight mileage upgrade. lol

ESpen36 Jul 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Excellent news!!! Great! Let's hope it is followed by waived award upgrade copays for EXPs.

The Mileage Millionaire Jul 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 14381669)
Great news. Now stop making me pay $75 copay on a domestic flight mileage upgrade. lol

I vote for that change, too!

Surgee Jul 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by tt7 (Post 14381386)

Case in point - flying BNE-MEL a few weeks ago on a mileage ticket in J on a Saturday afternoon. We get to the airport early, in time to catch the two+-hours-earlier-than-our-flight previous flight. Enquire as to availability on that earlier flight. Get a curt "not available." Dealing with QF I've learnt that it's a waste of time to ask "OK, there may be no award seats in inventory but are there open seats <<there were it subsequently appears at least 5, based on what they were willing to sell>> and, if so, would you please call and see if they will open up two of them for two oneworld Emeralds, so we don't sit in your lounge, eating and drinking at your expense for the next two hours." Would have been a win-win all round. QF? Not a chance.

Interesting. I had an old EF alert notification for F seats on the A380 from SYD-SIN or MEL-SIN for 3 days in July. I had long since changed plans but forgotten about the alert. Then, 3 days in a row in July I got the same alert e-mail. F award availability had gone from 0 to 6, 7, or 8 seats the day before. I never called AA to check if the availability was actually there, and I didn't check other routes, but 3 days in a row struck me as a pattern that I could possibly attribute to automated revenue management.

Beach9bum Jul 28, 2010 4:55 pm

EXCELLENT --Customer 1st. This will go a long way to better PR.

LAXNYER Jul 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 14382113)
Excellent news!!! Great! Let's hope it is followed by waived award upgrade copays for EXPs.

doubt that would happen. they give us 8 (last yr 12) VIPS to waive the fees. That's probably as "generous" as they feel. That's a lot of money for them to forgo

ivk5 Jul 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Great benefit for this PLT

Krazyglue Jul 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Just to confirm. For me as a PLT if i do a mileage/copay award to "C" within three weeks i wont have to pay that fee?

This is great if the case. I use most of my miles for upgrades to EZE on vacation. Vacation for me comes when i slow time at work happens. Usually with little notice.