FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Announces Expanded Benefits For AAdvantage Elite Members [award-related fees] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1110728-aa-announces-expanded-benefits-aadvantage-elite-members-award-related-fees.html)

The Mileage Millionaire Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am

GLD/PLAT to be exempt from close-in fees, EP from redeposit fees

Taken from the AA forum at travellingbetter.com:

"Starting tomorrow, AAdvantage Gold and Plat will be exempt from "close in" ticketing fees.

Also, EPs will be exempt from mileage reinstatement fees and "award ticket changes" on tickets issued from their accounts."

============INSERT OF AA EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENT TO ELITES===========

Originally Posted by AA Email
American Airlines Announces Expanded
Benefits For AAdvantageŽ Elite Status Members

Dear (Insert Name),

Effective today, July 29, 2010, American Airlines is enhancing the benefits available to our AAdvantage elite status members.

Waived AAdvantage Award Processing Charges*

AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ members are already exempt from award processing charges for travel ticketed within 21 days of departure when using miles from their account. We are now extending this benefit to our AAdvantage PlatinumŽ and AAdvantage GoldŽ members, making it even more rewarding to be an elite status member.

Waived AAdvantage Award Ticket Change and Reinstatement Charges

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will be receiving additional award benefits as well. Also effective July 29, award tickets issued from an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member's account will be exempt from charges associated with eligible origin and destination changes to MileSAAverŽ award tickets and from charges for reinstating wholly unused award tickets.

To see a summary of the benefits you receive as an AAdvantage elite status member, visit our
Elite Benefits Chart.

Your continued loyalty is important to us. This is another way we would like to show our appreciation to you. From everyone at American, we look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

Best Regards,

Derek DeCross
President
AAdvantage Marketing Programs

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/expandedelitebenefits.jsp

JohnDHackensacker3d Jul 28, 2010 10:47 am

That is a huge improvement for Aadvantage elites!

Do I sense a growing division among flyers between the "haves" (elite status members) and the "have nots" (the Kettles and their ilk)? Reminiscent of the growing rift in society in general...

doctor15 Jul 28, 2010 10:49 am

Wow great news! ^

I wonder if the fee exemption for EXPs will allow you to change tickets mid-travel.

aaupgrade Jul 28, 2010 10:54 am

Originally Posted by doctor15 (Post 14380272)
I wonder if the fee exemption for EXPs will allow you to change tickets mid-travel.

I don't see why not as long as it is an award ticket. Of course I though one could do that right now on award tickets, assuming you mean date and time changes.

pkerr Jul 28, 2010 10:56 am

Has this been confirmed by AA or is it just specualtion?

Microwave Jul 28, 2010 11:11 am

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 14380197)
Taken from the AA forum at travellingbetter.com:

"Starting tomorrow, AAdvantage Gold and Plat will be exempt from "close in" ticketing fees.

Also, EPs will be exempt from mileage reinstatement fees and "award ticket changes" on tickets issued from their accounts."

This would have come in handy earlier this month--I am PLT, and got dinged for a $50 "close in" fee for listing for a TATL upgrade to J within 21 days (requested it 15 days out). :td: But this would be a great benefit if it comes through! ^^

The Mileage Millionaire Jul 28, 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 14380304)
Has this been confirmed by AA or is it just specualtion?

The source is 100% reliable, so I would call it confirmed, but not yet published.

Crazy4Birds Jul 28, 2010 11:45 am

That's great for no EXP re-deposit fees. This is one of the few areas that DL DM was better than AA EXP....

3Cforme Jul 28, 2010 11:46 am

Thank Delta for initiating these changes June 3. Elimination of the close-in award fee is valuable to me.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1035

SeeBuyFly Jul 28, 2010 11:51 am

Of course, by the time the close-in fee kicks in, most saver awards are unavailable.

brp Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 14380667)
Of course, by the time the close-in fee kicks in, most saver awards are unavailable.

Well, someone to find a cloud for a silver lining :)

Cheers.

LAXNYER Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

If true, this is great news, and a good benefit

galaticos Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 14380293)
I don't see why not as long as it is an award ticket. Of course I though one could do that right now on award tickets, assuming you mean date and time changes.

You could change dates and times even now as an EP...i guess this will let you change airline/routing if necessary....great benefit...well done AA..

ScreenGuy Jul 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Maybe true, but this is very useful when booking flights within 21 days of travel and requesting a mileage upgrade.

brenc3 Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm

I would assume that the close-in fees waiver would apply to upgrades as well, which tend to be more available within the 3-week timeframe.