Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase Premium Economy v. AA Coach+SWU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Purchase Premium Economy v. AA Coach+SWU

Hello,

My company travel policy will allow me to purchase Premium Economy, but not business class.

I need to go MIA-PEK. I can go on AA in coach and hope a SWU clears (ORD-PEK, outbound on 10SEP, return 15 or 16SEP), or purchase Premium Economy on either CX or JL via JFK or LAX.

Both options arrive within an hour, the Premium Economy options would include a +/-3 hour flight in each carriers' economy, either NRT-PEK or HKG-PEK, whereas the AA option would be direct ORD-PEK.

I have checked Expert Flyer for C availability from PEK, PVG, NRT, ICN to LAX, JFK, ORD, and DFW. Quite an exhaustive list of permutations, could not find one C inventory on the 10th outbound or 15/16th return on any of the AA flights.

While I have already re-qualified for EXP for this year, the extra EQP would be nice for the Elite Rewards.

I have never flown on either JL or CX in Premium Eco. Only JL on short haul business. I have experienced (and paid for out of my own pocket) for BA WT+, are the JL and CX options equivalent?

I'm sure most of my non FF friends would simply take AA MIA-ORD-PEK, one less flight, and simply hope the SWU clears, but that leaves out the experience of trying other OW airlines.

Which would you do, and why?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd think you would have a very good chance of clearing the SWU list. Outbound is a Tuesday, which is generally a light travel day to Asia. Return is Sunday or Monday (Monday would be better, all else equal).

Business availability is I7 on the outbound and the Monday return, which is the best you can hope for in terms of a signal that they may release C at some point. Premium coach seating looks relatively lightly booked on the outbound and very lightly booked on the Monday return, suggesting there shouldn't be many (if any) EXPs ahead of you on the upgrade waitlist.

Some might say "a bird in the hand" w/r/t the guaranteed PE ticket. But I really can't sleep in an upright seat, and sleep is essential for me on a flight to Asia, so personally, I'd risk the SWU upgrade, since I wouldn't be too significantly worse off in Y vs. PE. Plus Row 31 is available on both flights.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Since you do this with some frequency? why not do both at different times. Of course, more miles and points in PE, and you can Google up images for CX PE (as well as check the CX forum, of course). And Hongker's lounges are nice benefit...

IMO, perhaps a bit better than WT+?

Cathay PE

JL PE
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Speaking from experience, PEK has always been an easy EXP u/g. Both times I've done the r/t, J had several empty seats. At PEK, they'll even offer cash upgrades to pax at the check in counter.

I would go with AA.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
I have checked Expert Flyer for C availability from PEK, PVG, NRT, ICN to LAX, JFK, ORD, and DFW. Quite an exhaustive list of permutations, could not find one C inventory on the 10th outbound or 15/16th return on any of the AA flights.
Have you called AA and inquired about using the SWUs on your flights? They may well process the upgrade based on "expanded EXP" availability .On 9/10, most of row 31 is available in Coach - a very good indication that you would be at the top of the waitlist for clearing; a return on 9/16 looks equally promising.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
I have never flown on either JL or CX in Premium Eco. Only JL on short haul business. I have experienced (and paid for out of my own pocket) for BA WT+, are the JL and CX options equivalent?

I'm sure most of my non FF friends would simply take AA MIA-ORD-PEK, one less flight, and simply hope the SWU clears, but that leaves out the experience of trying other OW airlines.

Which would you do, and why?
CX PE feels like AA domestic first and essentially equivalent to BA WT+. Subtle differences, but that's the approximation. I would not go out of my way to try it, personally, but would take it if it were the best option.

I'd go AA MIA-ORD-PEK for two reasons. 1) One less flight is a big deal for me on long itineraries. 2) I don't sleep that much better in CX PE compared to a nice AA Y seat (exit row, good bulkhead, etc.). I'd rather take a chance that the SWU would clear. The change of getting a nice upgrade outweighs the minimal gain of a PE seat.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
I did this in March, but actually went to PVG (MIA-ORD-PVG-LAX-MIA). My SWUs for J cleared at booking for both the outbound and inbound flights. I find this a better value than doing PE on any other airline plus you only have to stop once.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Some might say "a bird in the hand" w/r/t the guaranteed PE ticket. But I really can't sleep in an upright seat, and sleep is essential for me on a flight to Asia, so personally, I'd risk the SWU upgrade, since I wouldn't be too significantly worse off in Y vs. PE. Plus Row 31 is available on both flights.
+1.

(A no brainer, in my humble opinion... )
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I just flew Hkg-Ceb in Cx Premium economy and was surprised how nice it was especially in the first row where I was seated. Reminds me of business class in the old days.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Will firm cover B class fare on American? You would then be connecting passagner on a Y/B fare and would be below only other connecting pax on Y/B who requested prior to you.
This is a bad strategy if business is likely to sell out...but B fares are often pretty flexible so you coudl also set up a bunch of expert flyer alerts and shift if a C inventory becomes available?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Go for the SWU - they almost always clear. I've never missed getting one in 11 years
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
What are the CX and JL policies on upgrading Y+ to J with their own miles? Perhaps take that option and then apply for a credit card to get the necessary mileage to submit for an upgrade, assuming you'd be in the right inventory and upgrades are actually possible to obtain.

Another option would be to book PE on BA via AA and then submit for an upgrade using AA miles if your company would allow for such a booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.