FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Has your upgrade cleared before transaction completed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1103117-has-your-upgrade-cleared-before-transaction-completed.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jul 7, 2010 12:30 pm

Has your upgrade cleared before transaction completed?

Has this ever happened to anyone else. You are booking a flight for travel in the next few days and request upgrades as an EXP. Once you have booked the flight and then the page shows with the system assigned seats you are already upgraded?

bdemaria Jul 7, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, always on the same route and often enough on that route that when it doesn't clear while booking I find it somewhat odd.

FWAAA Jul 7, 2010 12:42 pm

It's happened for me quite a few times over the last couple of years (since mid-2008). In the years before that, not quite as often.

CO FF Jul 7, 2010 12:42 pm

Also yes -- most notably on short hops (LAX-LAS, LAX-SFO) but occasionally on JFK-LAX and LGA-ORD.

JY1024 Jul 7, 2010 12:56 pm

Yup - I believe I've also been able to hold flights (pre-purchase/ticketing) where the X upgrade has already cleared. (Don't remember if I requested the upgrade online or whether I worked through an AAgent.)

SFO777 Jul 7, 2010 12:59 pm

Yup, ditto here. Though not nearly as good as the DL system which shows "Upgrade Available" within the window for your status, so you can select without guessing.

ESpen36 Jul 7, 2010 1:08 pm

Yup, it has happened for late bookings, although I usually book months in advance.

harpodamann Jul 7, 2010 1:21 pm

yes it has

RedSox Jul 7, 2010 2:04 pm

Yes. I go so far as to look for reasonably priced transcons for MR's and put them on a 24 hour hold. If the upgrade clears, I book the flight, if they don't I let it expire and move on.

But to answer your question, I've also had it happen the way you describe.

CMK10 Jul 7, 2010 3:45 pm

I rarely buy my tickets inside my window but six years ago on July 2nd I found a good mileage run fare ($104 for LGA-ORD-STL-LGA) for travel on July 4th so I grabbed it. I cleared on LGA-ORD and STL-LGA while booking and was happy to see my e-ticket reciept printed with "First Cl" on it.

vasantn Jul 7, 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 14258986)
Has this ever happened to anyone else. You are booking a flight for travel in the next few days and request upgrades as an EXP. Once you have booked the flight and then the page shows with the system assigned seats you are already upgraded?

Probably 25% of the time when I book a flight within the 100-hour window. Unlike FWAAA's experience, for me it's less frequent now than it was a few years ago.

On a related topic, here's an old favorite which some of our newer members may not have had the privilege of reading:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thanks-aa.html

riteshraja Jul 7, 2010 8:06 pm

Yes it happens often when I book within the 100 hour mark but worse is the flights I book within 4 hours of departure. Since they are already under airport control only way to request an upgrade on those is by checking in at the airport.

LAXNYER Jul 7, 2010 8:09 pm

Yes... happens all the time. ^

capn_shawn Jul 7, 2010 8:55 pm

Happened to me a few minutes ago for both flights I booked for tomorrow. STL-ORD-STL. I'm just a lowly platinum, but it happens all the time.

By the way, the available inventory is the reason that I picked the planes that I picked. No sense booking a flight for the next day with just one seat open in first when there is a flight the next hour with 8 available seats in F.

TravelerMSY Jul 7, 2010 9:23 pm

Happens a lot. It seems to really screw up the airport staff when it happens on unticketed reservations since it won't auto-price anymore once it's booked into X. Gotta call the rate desk.