FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Targeted: Citi AAdvantage 1.2-1.5 miles per $ until May 31, 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1055604-targeted-citi-aadvantage-1-2-1-5-miles-per-until-may-31-2010-a.html)

hillrider Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage 1.2-1.5 miles per $ until May 31, 2010

I received via mail a piece of junk-mail-like that when opened revealed a promo on my existing account: 1.5 miles per $ until 31may10. Requires calling a toll-free number with the 10-digit offer number printed on the invitation (and one must listen to the T&C in order to activate the offer).

I was probably selected because I was abroad for a while and as a result my spend went literally to zero (as I use the excellent 1.25% cash-back Capital One card with its zero foreign purchase fee). Message to Citi (again): drop the odious foreign purchase fee and you won't need to spend on promotions and will get $30k+/year more in spend from me to boot!

Incidentally, the marketing guys at Citi will pat them in the back for a sucessful promo, since as I'm currently in the US my spend on that card has skyrocketed which will lead to a big march bill--no doubt, according to their analysis for senior management, due to their promotion! [sarcasm]

Pay particular attention to your mail and don't throw things away just because they look like junk!

JY1024 Feb 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up! ^ I got the same thing - folded postcard with a code inside - last year; I think the promo ran from August - October.

I'll be sure to comb through my mail carefully in case I get lucky again.

oldpenny16 Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I got it as well, but it took 2 telephones calls to get the code to work.

The mailing is a 2 fold item (no envelope) that doesn't impress. Oh well, every little bit helps.

Looked at mine mailer. I got 1.2 as well.

Sprite Feb 23, 2010 8:57 pm

I got 1.2/dollar. My invitation number hasn't worked after 3 tries.

skofarrell Feb 23, 2010 9:05 pm

1.2 here.

Points Scrounger Feb 24, 2010 2:08 pm

CitiCard Bonus Miles - DO NOT DISCARD OFFER!

Same as the one late last year - 20% extra miles on all purchases through May 31, 2010 with prior registration. Blue-gray mailer looks just like yet another cc offer, but contains promo details and your necessary registration code.

Arrived in today's mail, and even though it looked exactly the same as the previous bonus offer, at first I thought it was probably junk, too!

zman Feb 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Untill AA/Citi offers Points toward status as DL/AX does, I have NO interest.

JY1024 Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Discussion started yesterday here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-31may10.html

Looks like different folks have been getting different offers...

Points Scrounger Feb 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks - I try hard not to repeat this stuff! Oh well ...

Points Scrounger Feb 24, 2010 2:39 pm

1.2 for me also

Redhead Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm

1.2 for me as well. The invite # didn't work on the automated line so called customer service. They enrolled me no problem. Said that they were getting lots of calls due to the automated system not working.

Methinks it's time for a US Mint purchase

brp Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 13457168)

Methinks it's time for a US Mint purchase

Maybe...maybe not

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126014168569179245.html

Cheers.

ruhbjj Feb 24, 2010 5:13 pm

1.5 MILES

Can you post the code with the phone number?

brp Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ruhbjj (Post 13458028)

Welcome to FT!

Thanks for the laugh :)

Cheers.

fly2nrt Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 13456851)

Spend $1,000,000 and you get lifetime gold. $2,000,000 gets you lifetime platinum. :D

MilesMonster Feb 25, 2010 11:51 am

1.2 mi/$1 for me. Registration code worked fine the first time.

I'm glad I saw this thread yesterday. The folded postcard was waiting in my mailbox when I got home.

ssafro1 Feb 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ruhbjj (Post 13458028)

This is a note to all who want the offer but did not receive it... YOU CANT GET IT (sorry!).

The offer must appear on your account (they dont just mail those things randomly-they are targeted). If the offer does not appear on your account, the CS rep cannot enroll you.

freeflyin Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Can someone please post the telephone number for this,if it is not the same one on the back of your card?

I have shredded so much junk mail this week,I'd hate to discover this was available to me. If so,I would assume that CITI would be able to see this promo attached to my account. Thanks

JY1024 Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 13464123)
Can someone please post the telephone number for this,if it is not the same one on the back of your card?

I have shredded so much junk mail this week,I'd hate to discover this was available to me. If so,I would assume that CITI would be able to see this promo attached to my account. Thanks

IIRC, just having the telephone number will do no good. It was a purely automated process to enroll in the program - call the number, enter in your promo code on the postcard, and then you're done.

I had a question about the program after I enrolled. I was able to call the normal number on the back of the card to talk to a CSR who was able to answer my queries. So I know they can see that you're enrolled, but I don't know if they'd be able to see that you're eligible for enrollment. May not hurt to call and ask...

ssafro1 Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 13464287)
IIRC, just having the telephone number will do no good. It was a purely automated process to enroll in the program - call the number, enter in your promo code on the postcard, and then you're done.

I had a question about the program after I enrolled. I was able to call the normal number on the back of the card to talk to a CSR who was able to answer my queries. So I know they can see that you're enrolled, but I don't know if they'd be able to see that you're eligible for enrollment. May not hurt to call and ask...

To answer this, yes.

I actually called CITI bc that automated # wasnt working for me.. and while I was waiting for her to do her things I was asking some random questions. How it works is that they decide you are eligible (targeted) they note the account under a "rewards" tab on your account that they can access. Then they generate the mail-out. When you call to accept/sign up, they (or a computer) goes under that tab and follows the link to sign you up. As long as it is there, you are done. But as she said, if it not there, they do not have the ability to see/add it because of internal controls, specifically the segregation of duties.

zacktravel Feb 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 13456851)

They do? I don't see any in my account.

GetawaysRus Feb 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Hmm... My wife got a different promo offer yesterday. 250 mile bonus for every $1000 in spend until May 31. So that's 1.25, but I get the impression that the bonus may not kick in until you hit the $1000 spend level, then $2000 spend threshold, and so on. The letter didn't spell it out more clearly.

Called the toll free number to register. I just had to input the offer code on the mailing. Did not have to speak to a human and did not have to enter the full credit card number. (That is good. I get a little concerned when I get these promos that it could be a highly sophisticated phishing scam to get my credit card number.)

I don't quite understand how they select people for these targeted promos. My wife now has 2 promos running (her other one is double points on grocery and drugstore purchases with her Marriott branded Chase VISA card thru March 31). I've got none.

JY1024 Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 13464287)
So I know they can see that you're enrolled, but I don't know if they'd be able to see that you're eligible for enrollment. May not hurt to call and ask...

Originally Posted by ssafro1 (Post 13464557)
To answer this, yes.

I actually called CITI bc that automated # wasnt working for me.. and while I was waiting for her to do her things I was asking some random questions. How it works is that they decide you are eligible (targeted) they note the account under a "rewards" tab on your account that they can access. Then they generate the mail-out. When you call to accept/sign up, they (or a computer) goes under that tab and follows the link to sign you up. As long as it is there, you are done. But as she said, if it not there, they do not have the ability to see/add it because of internal controls, specifically the segregation of duties.

^ Thanks for the info - glad to know that there is recourse should one either have issues with the phone system or lose/not receive their postcard.

I came home today to find the postcard sitting happily in my mailbox. I got the same promo last fall - very cool that they're letting me do it again. Time to shift spending from the *wood AMEX over to the Citi card for a few months... :)

sharklover Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 13465787)
Hmm... My wife got a different promo offer yesterday. 250 mile bonus for every $1000 in spend until May 31. So that's 1.25, but I get the impression that the bonus may not kick in until you hit the $1000 spend level, then $2000 spend threshold, and so on. The letter didn't spell it out more clearly.

Called the toll free number to register. I just had to input the offer code on the mailing. Did not have to speak to a human and did not have to enter the full credit card number. (That is good. I get a little concerned when I get these promos that it could be a highly sophisticated phishing scam to get my credit card number.)

I don't quite understand how they select people for these targeted promos. My wife now has 2 promos running (her other one is double points on grocery and drugstore purchases with her Marriott branded Chase VISA card thru March 31). I've got none.

My wife got the exact same offer. Yes you only earn 250 miles for every $1000. I would think they send things like this outto those who do not use the card much. my wife only only used the card to spend the $750 required to get the bonus. With this promo I will use the card again. My wife is 80,000 miles short of 1 million.

aktchi Feb 26, 2010 8:10 pm

I got the 20% offer. To register, one needs the "invitation number" crudely affixed on the outside; mine had been ripped by someone, presumably thinking they could register with it! Anyway, I called the CS number and they registered me without that number.

Lesson: As others have said, if you were never sent an invitation, you can't register. However, if you have discarded/lost/misplaced your postcard, you can still register by calling CS.

Got to remember to open and read all Citibank mailings. This one really looked like junk mail and would have been easy to throw away.

JY1024 Feb 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 13474109)
I got the 20% offer. To register, one needs the "invitation number" crudely affixed on the outside; mine had been ripped by someone, presumably thinking they could register with it! Anyway, I called the CS number and they registered me without that number.

Lesson: As others have said, if you were never sent an invitation, you can't register. However, if you have discarded/lost/misplaced your postcard, you can still register by calling CS.

Got to remember to open and read all Citibank mailings. This one really looked like junk mail and would have been easy to throw away.

IIRC, they actually sent me the postcard twice during the promo last fall. (I think the second one came in the mail about 3 weeks later.)

farrish11 Feb 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Another data point

I'm a gold, I got the 20% bonus offer. No problem registering.

My wife is an AA-nothing now, has the same card I do (her own, not an additional card), and got no bonus offer.

msv777 Feb 26, 2010 11:01 pm

1.2 mi/$1 for me. Registration code worked fine the first time.

Thanks for the post!

Cheers.

Middle_Seat Feb 28, 2010 8:04 am

Easy Registration

Automated system worked for me and Mrs. Middle_Seat (both 1.2 miles).

There are some pauses during the call. BE SURE and stay on the line to hear and acknowledge the terms and conditions, else no bonus miles for you.

AA_CPA Feb 28, 2010 11:00 am

I'm an AA gold and AAdvantage CC holder - should I have gotten the postcard?

I get so much mail, and am so tired when I open it, I might have thrown it out.

aktchi Feb 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by AA_CPA (Post 13481754)
I'm an AA gold and AAdvantage CC holder - should I have gotten the postcard? I get so much mail, and am so tired when I open it, I might have thrown it out.

Call Citi CS. They'll know if you got the offer and can register you even if you lost the postcard.

AA_CPA Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Received clarification on the deal.

This is for those adding the Citi AMEX to their existing accounts. They qualify for a sign-up bonus, then get the 20% mileage premium.

dstan Feb 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Just got the postcards for both Mrs. dstan and me! :cool: Only 1.2 mi/$, though.

hillrider Feb 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by AA_CPA (Post 13482280)

This is for those adding the Citi AMEX to their existing accounts. They qualify for a sign-up bonus, then get the 20% mileage premium.

OP here. I never signed up for a Citi AmEx. That might be a parallel promo.

ExitRowAisle Feb 28, 2010 3:45 pm

The Citi AMEX bonus is a standing offer (or has been for some time). It has absolutely nothing to do with this targeted offer for people holding a standard Citi AA MC.

freeflyin Feb 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 13465787)

I also received this offer. I seems to be less lucrative than the 1.2 or 1.5 offers, as it looks like you need to spend in increments of 1K to receive any bonus miles. I am probably not going to change my usage as I am working on SPG spending.

JY1024 Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by AA_CPA (Post 13482280)

This is a completely different promo. Citi tries to get me to sign up for their Amex with mailings every two weeks. That's their standard "sign up for a new Amex card, and we'll give you one-time bonus miles and 1.2 miles for the next XX months."

(My parents and I both got the promo discussed in this thread and neither of us have the Citi Amex.)

ILUVCITIBANK Mar 1, 2010 7:52 pm

I received the 1:1.5% bonus offer.

barely, barely moves the needle for me (gets me to change my patterns). I used to be a major, major user of this very affinity card...but after Citibank stopped doing any sort of multiples promotion (2 for 1 was standard for some years) and worse, AA's Milesaaver initiative slaughtered award availability...saw no reason to further accumulate aa miles and box myself in w/ limited and diminishing choices. So I've spent the better part of a decade burning them off and literally going from a 7-figure charger to a 2-figure charger annually (yes, less than $100 per yr, and over half that was the annual fee)...card just sat and collected dust. Maybe C finally noticed those 7 figures went to 2 figures. hmm.

Shifted my spend to a 2% cashback card and backed that w/ the AMEX/SPG card.

I will probably dust off my last remaining Citibank/AA card and knock out some charges (more to exercise the card and show some usage so C doesn't kill my cl) and then retire the card to the dustbin until next year. C "sold off" my other high-cl Citibank card, unbeknownst and without my permission (until I missed the deadline to stop it), to Chase or maybe it was BofA, which turned it into a U-Promise card...oh well...its sitting collecting dust also.

Guess 1.5% beats spg's 20% bonus, so this wins the day for next couple of months.

What is saad her most of all is even w/ the 50% bonus I am not very thrilled to be accumulating aa points these days. Just too much hassle to find plaanahead aawards for my family when we leisure travel and I refuse to burn miles at anytime point levels. :( Good news is OnePass has become viable for me again after what AA did a couple of years ago. :)

jslmiles1 Mar 12, 2010 10:38 am

When do the bonus miles post

I signed up for this @ 1.2 miles per dollar sometime in mid Feb. But i just got my new Citicard statement for purchases through Mar 10, and I only received 1 mile per $1. I keep getting bounced around with customer service. Does anyone know if the bonus miles are supposed to accrue as you spend or if they will only post when the promotion ends on 5/31? Thanks

JY1024 Mar 12, 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jslmiles1 (Post 13563446)
I signed up for this @ 1.2 miles per dollar sometime in mid Feb. But i just got my new Citicard statement for purchases through Mar 10, and I only received 1 mile per $1. I keep getting bounced around with customer service. Does anyone know if the bonus miles are supposed to accrue as you spend or if they will only post when the promotion ends on 5/31? Thanks

I'd suggest reading the fine print for your individual offer if you want the official answer. (I believe you also had to listen to it on the phone in order to accept the offer; I'm pretty sure the phone spiel I listened to described the earning and posting time frames.)

But the "anecdotal" answer is: Yes - they'll post after the promo ends. IIRC, the bonus miles posted in one chunk one statement after the last promo ended.