FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Returning from DUB on AA/OneWorld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1008165-returning-dub-aa-oneworld.html)

family friend Oct 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Returning from DUB on AA/OneWorld

Hello,
I am looking to book an itinerary that returns from DUB to the United States (prefer NYC area) on a Tuesday. It seems that there are not any DUB-ORD flights on Tuesday. In the past I had flown DUB-LHR-JFK with the DUB-LHR segment on (I believe but could be mistaken) Aer Lingus. Now, it seems that Aer Lingus is not a part of OneWorld any longer. Is there anyway to fly back from DUB on AA or OneWorld metal and receive EQMs? Many thanks.
Rupesh

ty97 Oct 20, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't think AA has any codeshares DUB-LHR, presumably because they'd like you to take AA metal DUB-ORD and connect from there. DUB-ORD switches from daily to certain days and back and forth, so some Tuesdays it will not be running. It looks like you are trying to fly next Tuesday, 10/27? Unfortunately, that is a day that DUB-ORD is not running. It is running Monday 10/26 and Wednesday 10/28, so if your travel date is flexible at all you can fly DUB-ORD-NYC on one of those days.

Himeno Oct 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Looks like it's just the AA flight to ORD or connecting in MAD on IB.

Wexflyer Oct 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12681436)
Hello,
I am looking to book an itinerary that returns from DUB to the United States (prefer NYC area) on a Tuesday. It seems that there are not any DUB-ORD flights on Tuesday. In the past I had flown DUB-LHR-JFK with the DUB-LHR segment on (I believe but could be mistaken) Aer Lingus. Now, it seems that Aer Lingus is not a part of OneWorld any longer. Is there anyway to fly back from DUB on AA or OneWorld metal and receive EQMs? Many thanks.
Rupesh

You can still fly DUB-LHR-JFK (or DUB-CDG-JFK, etc) with the first leg on EI. You just won't get miles for the EI sector, which is not that far anyway. You can buy these routings on AA.com so long as you select "all carriers". I would note that even in the past when Aer Lingus was part of Oneworld, most people typically never got miles for the EI sector, as the AA codeshare was usually more expensive than just taking the EI flight no. directly, and cheap fares in EI did not earn miles, i.e. no real change at all.

family friend Oct 21, 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 12681473)
I don't think AA has any codeshares DUB-LHR, presumably because they'd like you to take AA metal DUB-ORD and connect from there. DUB-ORD switches from daily to certain days and back and forth, so some Tuesdays it will not be running. It looks like you are trying to fly next Tuesday, 10/27? Unfortunately, that is a day that DUB-ORD is not running. It is running Monday 10/26 and Wednesday 10/28, so if your travel date is flexible at all you can fly DUB-ORD-NYC on one of those days.

I, too, would like to take AA metal but it is difficult since they are not flying DUB-ORD on the day I need to fly.

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 12681492)
Looks like it's just the AA flight to ORD or connecting in MAD on IB.

Is there an IB flight from DUB-MAD? I could not find that.

Originally Posted by Wexflyer (Post 12681571)
You can still fly DUB-LHR-JFK (or DUB-CDG-JFK, etc) with the first leg on EI. You just won't get miles for the EI sector, which is not that far anyway. You can buy these routings on AA.com so long as you select "all carriers". I would note that even in the past when Aer Lingus was part of Oneworld, most people typically never got miles for the EI sector, as the AA codeshare was usually more expensive than just taking the EI flight no. directly, and cheap fares in EI did not earn miles, i.e. no real change at all.

This is my option, I think. However, I believe that if I were to upgrade the LHR-JFK flight I will now have to pay the additional tax for being in a luxury cabin, that tax isnt present from Ireland or Europe. Are there other connections I can take from DUB to an AA European spot?

JY1024 Oct 21, 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12682912)
This is my option, I think. However, I believe that if I were to upgrade the LHR-JFK flight I will now have to pay the additional tax for being in a luxury cabin, that tax isnt present from Ireland or Europe. Are there other connections I can take from DUB to an AA European spot?

That's a UK origination tax. If you were to start your travel at LHR, you'd have to pay, but since you're just transiting through, you won't have any additional luxury cabin taxes.

family friend Oct 21, 2009 8:05 am

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 12682971)
That's a UK origination tax. If you were to start your travel at LHR, you'd have to pay, but since you're just transiting through, you won't have any additional luxury cabin taxes.

Oh, really? I was unaware of that! If I fly DUB-LHR on EI and then LHR-JFK on AA and upgrade the LHR-JFK I am not liable to pay the additional tax? I thought since the upgraded itinerary began in LHR I was.

3Cforme Oct 21, 2009 8:46 am

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12683018)
Oh, really? I was unaware of that! If I fly DUB-LHR on EI and then LHR-JFK on AA and upgrade the LHR-JFK I am not liable to pay the additional tax?

One can search 'air passenger duty' in this forum for detailed threads on costs and conditions.

eireman Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12683018)
Oh, really? I was unaware of that! If I fly DUB-LHR on EI and then LHR-JFK on AA and upgrade the LHR-JFK I am not liable to pay the additional tax? I thought since the upgraded itinerary began in LHR I was.

Not liable as long as all on one tix, but buying on one tix might be more expensive than buying DUB/LHR on EI on a separate tix. You will have to run the numbers

Himeno Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12682912)
Is there an IB flight from DUB-MAD? I could not find that.

IB3183

family friend Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 12685274)
IB3183

On my searches, IB3183 does not operate every day of the week, it seems as if it does not operate on Tuesday or Saturday, which leaves me in the same position as AA293 DUB-ORD which does not operate on Tuesday or Thursday.

miamigrad Oct 21, 2009 2:18 pm

DELETED