Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA allows I, O and Q Upgrade Awards + higher co-pays as of 6 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA allows I, O and Q Upgrade Awards + higher co-pays as of 6 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
Surely there is!

AA 108 LHR-BRU 830-1040 763
AA 155 BRU-LHR 1315-1330 763

But until today, you could not use miles to upgrade on that flight. The "intra-South America" upgrade award is now the "intra-South America and intra-Europe" upgrade award.
Welcome move but a very poor deal for such a short hop.

Why can't it be treated in the same way as a US domestic flight with sticker or free EXP upgrades where seats are available?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Interesting, but it seems this means it would be possible to upgrade some flights that don't earn miles.

From the info on aa.com for earning miles on flights to Latin America in O

"Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 0.50
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible."
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
The timing couldn't be better! I called the EXP line this morning in Tokyo to ask about the copayment cost of upgrading from a Q class to something upgradable and I was pleased to know that such a policy change had happened. Absolutely perfect.

Normally I fly NRT-LAX and the flight is usually tolerable enough to get by in economy but this time I am detouring to JFK an onwards to DCA for a wedding so I was wanting to be mostly comfortable since it was a longer flight and because I need to be not jetlagged and sociable when I touched down.

I just hope this incoming typhoon will miss Tokyo so I can leave.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This would have been amazing for the $300 ai Q fares from JFK to GIG that some of us booked (one more trip to go, have waitlisted but does not look good). But as brp mentioned the winter Europe sales will soon be upon us. And I am hoping the competition on the GIG route with DL, CO, and TAM will bring those fares down to sub $400 after February. I am getting really attached to Ipanema.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: AA PLT - 1 MM
You're right, although you put the EQP information instead of the miles one:

from
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...anAirlines.jsp

"Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 100%
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible for mileage credit."

And as you pointed, they neither earn EQP

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...quirements.jsp

Originally Posted by mvoight
Interesting, but it seems this means it would be possible to upgrade some flights that don't earn miles.

From the info on aa.com for earning miles on flights to Latin America in O

"Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 0.50
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible."
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This would have been amazing for the $300 ai Q fares from JFK to GIG that some of us booked (one more trip to go, have waitlisted but does not look good). But as brp mentioned the winter Europe sales will soon be upon us. And I am hoping the competition on the GIG route with DL, CO, and TAM will bring those fares down to sub $400 after February. I am getting really attached to Ipanema.
You'll probably have to wait til April for fares to drop that low. The deregulation of international airfares to/from Brazil is not completely phased in until April 23, 2010. Fares are currently allowed at 50% off the minimum allowed fare. On October 23, they can go down to 80% off. Then April 23, 2010, they become deregulated.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Zeffer
Surely the money you'll save by sometimes being able to book upgradable 'I' fares means this change won't hurt too much overall. (Unless what you really mean when you say "I only buy J/D fares" is: "Someone else only buys J/D fares for me and I don't care what they pay"… in which case you've no real skin in the game and your views will justifiably be taken with a grain of salt.)
J/D fares are not purchased just for an upgrade. They are purchased because they are flexible and that flexibility is key when traveling for business (in over 25 paid J/D trips to Asia in the past 4 years, I don't think I flew home on my originally scheduled day more than 4 times).

Second, the main purchaser of business class fares are not leisure travelers, but business travelers and most of us are not paying out of pocket for our tickets. Some with a warped view of reality on FT might discount the views of this population, but I can assure AA knows who butters its bread.

Either way, don't fret about A inventory. Most passengers won't add $1,100 round-trip to travel in First all the time. It’ll be an occasional treat, not a habit. Most discount biz class passengers are not luxury-seekers but sensible business people who need to arrive adequately refreshed but not necessarily pampered.
I gather you've never flown AA in F, because being pampered is not part of the experience. I upgrade to F as a matter of course because I get an adequately-sized workspace that allows me to spread out and get the long term projects done that I never get to when I am in the office. My two most common routes are JFK-NRT and PRD-PVG, both of which allow me to put in a good 10-11 hours of uninterupted work, still allowing time for a nap, a meal and a movie.

Moreover, right now most J & D passengers obviously aren't too keen to upgrade, because first class isn't overwhelmed by upgrades. So "I" passengers are unlikely to wanna gobble up all your stock for $550 a pop. That co-pay is more than most passengers up the back of the bus paid for their entire ticket, including taxes. It's a big fee for regular business class hoi polloi like me. That'll be an effective disincentive... and, for a premium service like First, entirely appropriate.
Except there is no co-pay (and rightly so) for using eVIPs.

Don't cry. First will still be exclusive, and still available for J's and D's.
I don't care about F being exclusive. I care about there being seats available. When your travel is last minute like mine tends to be, there aren't always a lot of A seats left. IME, I haven't seen too many empty F cabins on AA transpac flights this year. Maybe it's more of an issue on transatlantic flights, but I'm an Asia guy, so I don't do too many of those flights.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Now, the other shoe fully drops:
I'm not all that excited about being able to upgrade I, O & Q with miles or SWUs, because I'm skeptical that the other shoe has fully dropped, but I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Of course, as brp mentioned, things have mostly returned to the way they were a couple of years ago (when O & Q were almost never used for extremely low sale prices to Europe and Asia) and predictably, we're all very happy. The ability to upgrade I is a new development and I agree with PresRDC's concerns about I upgrades.

A few years ago, when DUB was on sale for $300 all-in (and stayed that way for a while), it was a W fare. Same with SIN, where W or V was often used for the 3-day min stay fall sales. N was frequently used as the low sale fare, but never O or Q. South America fare sales more often used the Q bucket, IIRC.

The change to allow SWUs on ALL published fares does place AA far ahead of airlines that require much higher fare classes for SWU upgrades (like Delta). Wonder if it will prompt a response?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
South America fare sales more often used the Q bucket, IIRC.

The change to allow SWUs on ALL published fares does place AA far ahead of airlines that require much higher fare classes for SWU upgrades (like Delta). Wonder if it will prompt a response?
Yes, an excellent analysis (as usual)!! Deep S.A. at least from CLT and the other origins from the US Southeast that I tend to watch have priced deep S.A. in the "Q" bucket. This will be a nice change for me. It is a total YMMV situation though I completely agree.

Now, it would seem more likely that UA would respond given its relationship to AA.

As for DL, if you mean DL would increase the number of fares eligible for SWU use, I would rate it at somewhere between not possible and never, never, never, never. Most likely, given how DL markets, if anything, it can use the opportunity to further decrease eligible SWU fares.

Safe Travels

Last edited by GTITAN; Oct 7, 2009 at 9:16 am
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
So people that have some status with AA seem thrilled by the change.

But for people with no status, it seems like an incredibly awful deal.

15k miles (which they value at $375) + $175 co-pay to upgrade a domestic flight, in addition to what you've already paid for a coach seat? That seems a little hard to swallow.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you guys see raising the bar for infrequent flyers as yet another benefit?
Let's see. Before the change, you had no choice. You could not upgrade. Period. New, you're being offered a choice. You might view it as an expensive choice, but it's your choice nonetheless. How is that "an incredibly awful deal?"
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Plat
Hi, folks -- first time post, so please be gentle -- but I had to chime in on this. Unless I'm mistaken , the OP didn't get the details exactly right -- domestic upgrades will STAY at $50 co-pay, Canada/Mexico Carribbean are going to $75, and only Hawaii is going to $175.

So it's not so bad for domestic, for those of us that don't have e-vips to throw around (and aren't planning to upgrade to int'l F either?) please confirm.

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d...rade-chart.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch View Post

15k miles (which they value at $375) + $175 co-pay to upgrade a domestic flight, in addition to what you've already paid for a coach seat? That seems a little hard to swallow.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you guys see raising the bar for infrequent flyers as yet another benefit?
Let's see. Before the change, you had no choice. You could not upgrade. Period. New, you're being offered a choice. You might view it as an expensive choice, but it's your choice nonetheless. How is that "an incredibly awful deal?"
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The ability to upgrade I is a new development and I agree with PresRDC's concerns about I upgrades.
Actually, "I" fares were upgradeable with miles but no copay until about 4-5 years ago. Though I fares were less prevalent then, mostly just the deep-deep-discount seasonal Biz fares to Europe. Still definitely not "the way things were" as seems to be the case with Y->J upgrades.

PresRDC may have a valid concern about "A" availability to Asia, I never fly AA to Asia so I can't speak from experience there. Though I do see plenty of A inventory on all but a couple of flights over the next week to/from NRT. PVG does look more difficult. FWIW.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:00 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

Except for EXPs, who have eVIPs, this has nothing to do with status. GLD and PLT will pay the same copays as non-status AAdvantage members. (And yes, GLD and PLT can also use domestic sticker upgrades, but that's not affected by this change either; in fact, it may make sticker upgrades marginally more difficult to clear, as more fares are now eligible for award upgrades). Bottom line, except for EXPs, no reason for elites to be more thrilled about this than non-status members. To me, both should be equally thrilled.

Originally Posted by ChrisRb
Hi, folks -- first time post, so please be gentle -- but I had to chime in on this. Unless I'm mistaken , the OP didn't get the details exactly right -- domestic upgrades will STAY at $50 co-pay, Canada/Mexico Carribbean are going to $75, and only Hawaii is going to $175.
Also a correct correction. And welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
How many requests have you made this year and how many have cleared? Without providing some numbers it's really hard for us to compare DL to AA.
I am Platinum on CO and flew 170k EQM from Jan to June. Routes I flew were mainly AUS-EWR and EWR-IAH-AUS. Upgrades were rare...I'd say less than 40% of the time. And AUS isn't even a prime time route. I know CO isn't DL, but the system is the same.

This is but one of the reasons I have been flying AA again since mid-July. Happy to have made the switch.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm so thrilled that I might've peed in my pants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.