Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Award routing is subject to "MPM" of 25% - Maximum Permitted Miles, meaning you can only book an award routing that does not exceed available direct routing by 25%.

● The routing must also be a valid routing (published through fare) on the governing / longhaul carrier's routes.

● "Ticketed Point Deductions" on some routings may extend MPM.

● USA stopovers at port of entry or departure for awards have been eliminated (e.g. LHR-LAX <stop> ORD is no longer valid).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD

Hi,

I’m trying to route this following
BOS-MIA-ORD = 6408 (within MPM)
LHR-ORD-BOS = 4820 (within MPM)

The following are the routing for the fare:
AT01 /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ MPM 3920
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 1000 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA CHI AND/OR DFW
PROVIDED ALL TRAVEL IS ON AA WITHIN AREA 1
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 1500 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA MIA

The fare jumps when I try to ticket, calling AA, I was told it’s because you are exceeding you mileage and hence 25% jump?

Is this correct?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
MPM exceed ... huh?

Hi,

WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA MIA

The fare jumps when I try to ticket, calling AA, I was told it’s because you are exceeding you mileage and hence 25% jump?

Is this correct?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:40 am
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Yes- exceed MPM and pay accordingly. If you have a great fare however, it's a good way to extend your low CPM.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kenfry
Hi,

WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA MIA
I guess you meant BOS-MIA-ORD-LHR for 6408. Though I have no special insight or experience with regards to ticketed point deductions, I have never seen anything that indicates to me they are cumulative. Therefore, I would guess you only get the 1500 for MIA, not 2500. Even then, I would only think you would pay an extra 20%, and only one way. The return looks fine. Again, I am completely guessing at this.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
When I was building my DUB run, the deductions were cumulative for me (for stopping in ORD, RDU, and MIA)... the way I read the OP's rules, he should be getting a 2500 deduction.

But then again, AA knows best.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
My advice would be to try ticketing elsewhere. Call a travel agent or try pricing this through Expedia by entering the destination city pairs and letting Expedia find the connection you want. It will take some doing but you can get there. Or, as with anything else, call AA back and ask soemone else. You may get an answer you like the next time 'round.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:59 am

how did you get the MPM deductions...what tool? thanks
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ticketed point deductions are not cumulative.

Your BOS-MIA-CHI-LON is therefore eligible for the MIA ticketed point deduction only, so you start with a 6400 miles trip (note: IATA ticketed point mileage -- based on ticketed cities--is slightly different from AAdvantage airport mileage), you deduct 1500, and end up with 4900, which is exactly a 25M over the MPM of 3920.

The return is 4808 TPM, which with a 1000 deduction becomes 3808, therefore still inside of the MPM of 3920.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
you start with a 6400 miles trip (note: IATA ticketed point mileage -- based on ticketed cities--is slightly different from AAdvantage airport mileage), you deduct 1500, and end up with 4900, which is exactly a 25M over the MPM of 3920.
Ah, yes, I added the 1500 to 3920 rather than subtracting from the 6400. Sorry.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
Ticketed point deductions are not cumulative.

Your BOS-MIA-CHI-LON is therefore eligible for the MIA ticketed point deduction only, so you start with a 6400 miles trip (note: IATA ticketed point mileage -- based on ticketed cities--is slightly different from AAdvantage airport mileage), you deduct 1500, and end up with 4900, which is exactly a 25M over the MPM of 3920.

The return is 4808 TPM, which with a 1000 deduction becomes 3808, therefore still inside of the MPM of 3920.

So how would you explain what happened with my itinerary? I added MIA and ORD specifically b/c they allowed me to fly more miles without breaking MPM.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by MazdaMP
how did you get the MPM deductions...what tool? thanks
In the Fares section of expertflyer.com when you get all the fares listed for the route you want, click on Routing Rules for the fare you are interested in.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
So how would you explain what happened with my itinerary? I added MIA and ORD specifically b/c they allowed me to fly more miles without breaking MPM.
If we only knew what your itinerary was, and on what fare you were (not all AA fares are mileage ones), and what you paid (with mileage fares you can exceed the MPM up to 25% each way by paying a corresponding increase in the half-way fare, rounded to the next 5 percentage points), maybe someone could have an answer.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
MPM vs. maximum # of connections

Does AA (or any other airline, for that matter) limit the number of connections per one-way or round-trip ticket? Most fare rules mention an MPM, but none that I have seen so far speak of a connection limit -- this doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one, hence my question.

Note: I searched the forum prior to posting this and only got back "false positives," so please excuse me if this has been discussed before.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold
Always thought it was four each way domestically
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Many fare rules specify the allowable connection points and this often limits to 4 segments each way, sometimes less. There isn't a global rule, it is specific to each fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.