Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket rebooking after route suspension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

My in-laws had a J award booking on US 759, ATH-PHL in mid October. As some of you may already know, AA is making that route a summer season only offering from late March to mid-October. This route suspension is five days before the in-laws were scheduled to come home to Seattle. :-/.

AA is offering to rebook them on BA ATH-LHR, AA LHR-ORD, AA ORD-SEA, but asking an additional $111/each in taxes and fees for this, along with not compensating them for the overnight at LHR that will become necessary b/c of the rebooking.

I understand under the CoC that AA isn't liable for any extra costs ( "Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."), but do they really have to pay the extra $111 in taxes also for a ticket they've essentially already purchased? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this and have any advice?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did a quick search, but I didn't find anything that pertained exactly to this situation.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Some of that $111 would be LHR airport taxes. (No, not UK Air Passenger Duty as a connection, but other transit taxes.) I don't know of a precedent for AA to eat that; the payment is due from AA to the U.K. government if you fly it.

Routings that don't use LHR, BA, or have a forced overnight yet have partner award availability may be tough.

As Voltaire put it, 'The perfect is the enemy of the good.' I'd be tempted to take AA's offered routing if they could throw in 20K AA miles per person as a customer courtesy - not reimbursement for expenses that aren't allowed, mind you.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Some of that $111 would be LHR airport taxes. (No, not UK Air Passenger Duty as a connection, but other transit taxes.) I don't know of a precedent for AA to eat that; the payment is due from AA to the U.K. government if you fly it.

Routings that don't use LHR, BA, or have a forced overnight yet have partner award availability may be tough.

As Voltaire put it, 'The perfect is the enemy of the good.' I'd be tempted to take AA's offered routing if they could throw in 20K AA miles per person as a customer courtesy - not reimbursement for expenses that aren't allowed, mind you.
Isn't AA only obligated to refund them their ticket this far out from departure? Unless the in-laws want to move their return up a few days, they are kind of SOL if they don't want to pay the extre fees for connecting in LHR. And it looks like AA is already "eating" the BA J surcharge for the ATH-LHR segment.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"And it looks like AA is already "eating" the BA J surcharge for the ATH-LHR segment."

I'm not so sure about that. AA wants to charge an extra $111 per person; I doubt that the additional "taxes" (properly so-called) are that high by routing via LON.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I suggest you check the rule 80 / 240 page for options.

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/co...ule-Change.pdf

Also, asking for additional taxes should not be happening. HUaCA?

Last edited by serfty; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP, look around and see if any other itineraries on AA or their partners would be preferable, and ask for that itinerary. The in-laws don't necessarily have to take the first thing offered.

Good luck!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Isn't AA only obligated to refund them their ticket this far out from departure?
I've had just one AAgent - pre-merger/pre-Parker - be a little quick to offer a refund (on a bonus-earning mileage run) instead of trying to find alternatives. AA doesn't need to do more for the OP, but if the master plan is to offer as little as legally possible in every situation customers won't be happy.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Try for other oneworld airlines.

The $111 most likely include BA YQ charges, and LHR Passenger Facility Charge.

AA won't likely offer to eat those, nor hotel disbursement. Though the merger has occurred in some ways, in others it has not. So they can handily say "force majeure - that other airline cancelled their flight".
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I had a similar situation earlier this year. Was booked J award txl-dus-ord on airberlin and AA. AA cancelled the Dus to ord and re booked me on txl lhr ord arriving about 9 hours later than my original schedule. I was charged about 100 dollars for the new flights on BA and AA I looked for other options, but couldn't find anything better, and needed to coordinate with others traveling, so I accepted it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Isn't AA only obligated to refund them their ticket this far out from departure? Unless the in-laws want to move their return up a few days, they are kind of SOL if they don't want to pay the extre fees for connecting in LHR. And it looks like AA is already "eating" the BA J surcharge for the ATH-LHR segment.
No. EC261 applies and the operating carrier is OBLIGATED to get the passengers to their destination and cannot charge extra for doing so

Originally Posted by JDiver
Try for other oneworld airlines.

The $111 most likely include BA YQ charges, and LHR Passenger Facility Charge.

AA won't likely offer to eat those, nor hotel disbursement.
Since this is a journey from Europe that is impacted, AA has no choice in whether it pays hotel costs etc if an overnight stay is required nor a choice on whether it "eats" the additional charges. It is not allowed to charge the passenger extra for the rerouting

From EC261

Originally Posted by EC261
1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers
concerned shall:
(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance
with Article 8; and
(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance
with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of rerouting
when the reasonably expected time of departure of
the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it
was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified
in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c);

ARTICLE 8

Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
(a) — reimbursement within seven days, by the means
provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket
at the price at which it was bought, for the part or
parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts
already made if the flight is no longer serving any
purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel
plan, together with, when relevant,
— a return flight to the first point of departure, at the
earliest opportunity;
(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their
final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their
final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience,
subject to availability of seats.

ARTICLE 9

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
be offered free of charge:
(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the
waiting time;
(b) hotel accommodation in cases
— where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary,
or
— where a stay additional to that intended by the
passenger becomes necessary;
(c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation
(hotel or other).
2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two
telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails
If AA is trying to charge the passenger for rerouting , it is in breach of regulations

Since the date of travel is > 2 weeks away, the part that AA is covered on, is not having to pay compensation on top

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 2, 2015 at 2:27 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
AA offer this as a code share with BA in October.

ATH-LHR-SEA

AA6323
Operated by
British Airways

08:10 am
ATH
10:05 am
LHR

AA6128
Operated by
British Airways

03:30 pm
LHR
05:05 pm
SEA

I'd push AA to give you this, as it is a similar one-stop to the original without an overnight. No reason the passenger should get hosed for AA's schedule change.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jul 2, 2015 at 3:32 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Based on Dave Noble's comments it appears that I got hosed by AA last Dec returning from DUS.I ended up paying hotel, food and cab costs for LHR overnight when AA suspended DUS-ORD after I had it booked and upgraded with SWU's.
Is there a time limit to file a claim under EC261?
Maybe I should put Dave N on my speed dial.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
AA offer this as a code share with BA in October.

ATH-LHR-SEA

AA6323
Operated by
British Airways

08:10 am
ATH
10:05 am
LHR

AA6128
Operated by
British Airways

03:30 pm
LHR
05:05 pm
SEA

I'd push AA to give you this, as it is a similar one-stop to the original without an overnight. No reason the passenger should get hosed for AA's schedule change.
AA has no ability to open award seats on BA - it is entirely up to BA. If BA does not have award space open then I seriously doubt that they would open seats because of an AA schedule change. Lately it seems that AA will only reschedule you on flights that have award space currently available.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
The ticket should be an even exchange and no add collect on fees should be asked.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pssteve
Based on Dave Noble's comments it appears that I got hosed by AA last Dec returning from DUS.I ended up paying hotel, food and cab costs for LHR overnight when AA suspended DUS-ORD after I had it booked and upgraded with SWU's.
Is there a time limit to file a claim under EC261?
Maybe I should put Dave N on my speed dial.
In the UK ,for example, it is 6 years - so def have 6 years to progess it there. last december is no issue at all for a claim

I would be writing to AA with receipts and requiring that it reimburse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.