Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

TPA / Tampa - St. Petersburg Int'l. Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Link to TPA AA airport information.
Link to TPA airport web site.

LOCATION: Beyond security, Concourse Airside F, (directly adjacent to) Gate F-85.

HOURS: Current hours are posted on aa.com here.

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • PCs connected to Internet and printer
  • Meals area, bar, etc.
  • Tarmac views

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
TPA / Tampa - St. Petersburg Int'l. Airport Admirals Club

TPA / Tampa - St. Petersburg Int'l. Airport Concourse F Gate 85 Admirals Club

Last edited by JDiver; May 8, 2015 at 1:24 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I've got club access via the Citibank AA World Exec MC. Will be traveling to TPA in March on Southwest and am wondering if it's possible to get from Southwest terminal C gates to Admirals Club in terminal F. Or would it be a royal pain. As far as I know, I do not need to be flying Oneworld metal to access club but please advise if I'm incorrect.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
TPA has a central terminal, but then you take a train to the various piers and clear security there. Getting into F would be dependent on 1) passing an airport contractor just before the train who will check your boarding pass before letting you through and 2) getting TSA to let you through. Though I've never tried accessing a TPA terminal I wasn't flying out of, I doubt you'll be able to get through, mainly due to the contractor check. If you do get through, you'll need to allow time to take the train back to the central terminal, then repeat the process for the Southwest terminal.

The TPA Club is an ex-US club that is relatively sizable and has nice views of the tarmac and runway and good employees in my experience, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of getting to if you're not going out of the F gates.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've got club access via the Citibank AA World Exec MC. Will be traveling to TPA in March on Southwest and am wondering if it's possible to get from Southwest terminal C gates to Admirals Club in terminal F. Or would it be a royal pain. As far as I know, I do not need to be flying Oneworld metal to access club but please advise if I'm incorrect.

Its a pain. You have to go out of secuirty ride a tram walk to another tram then back through security. It's a great club though.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Don't be discouraged. Switching concourses IS a pain, but not that much of one. Getting the OK to go through security to the F gates, when you're arriving in C, really shouldn't be that big a deal. Just explain what you're doing.

But remember: almost all domestic lounges in the US will disappoint, if you're used to international (particularly any F). It'll be an acceptable haven for a long-ish layover, compared to hanging out in the concourse somewhere, but you won't find yourself feeling "wined and dined" -- unless your definition of "wined" raises a low bar...

If you're just looking for an arrivals lounge, I wouldn't bother. Head off to the lobby bar in your hotel.

(Arriving there myself the morning of 1/08 -- but on AA, so will be in the right concourse. Even then I may just head for baggage claim...)

Last edited by rdrnnr; Jan 6, 2015 at 11:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
To clarify, you don't have access via the card. The card gives you membership as a benefit. Which means you don't even need to use the card as you are considered a member and that will show by the scan of a boarding pass.

This is different than if you have access via a card, like a Citi Prestige card, in which you would need to be flying AA.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
To clarify, you don't have access via the card. The card gives you membership as a benefit. Which means you don't even need to use the card as you are considered a member and that will show by the scan of a boarding pass.
Well, yea. But he's arriving on Southwest so doesn't have an AA boarding pass to scan

Physically changing terminals in TPA isn't a pain. A ride on a "people mover" train to to the central terminal (Landside), walk thru the Landside terminal then a another people mover to terminal (Airside) F.
While Airsides C and F are completely opposite from each other, TPA is the best laid out airport anywhere (IMHO ). The physical walk is short and easy.

As others have noted, your problem will be with security.
I've heard (but have never tried myself) that TSA (in general, not TPA specific) will now allow entry into any terminal if you have a boarding pass departing any of the airport's terminals that day. I'm not sure an arriving BP will get you into a different Airside. And I'd imagine the intent of such a TSA ruling would be to allow you to enter anywhere as long as you can get to your departing terminal/gate, even if your chosen entry point isn't the most logical for your airline/flight. At TPA, the various Airsides are not connected in any form or fashion so I'm not sure how getting thru would play out.

And, also as others have mentioned, you have to get past contract workers to simply ride a people mover over to an Airside. I've never understood their purpose. I think it's only to keep "greeters" from riding over, only to discover that you can't get to anything in the Airside terminal without going thru TSA. There is very little "pre-TSA" waiting area Airside, so greeters may as well wait Landside, thus the "departing boarding pass" check.

I personally think another reason TSA lightened its rules is for "lounge" members to access their clubs even if not flying the club's airline that day. If true, then an Admiral's Club membership should get you thru. But I can imagine 2 issues with that:
  1. While now called an Admirals Club, the TPA lounge is actually a US Airways Club. You and I know they're the same, but does the TSA and ID Checkers you'll encounter realize this ?
  2. Your Citi credit Card is a full membership (vs simply "allowing access"). But they don't issue an actual membership card, you just have an Admirals Club logo on the back of your card that serves in lieu of a membership card. Again, do all TSA & ID Checkers know that ? I'd bet that many don't.

As far as USA domestic airline lounges go, I consider the TPA Admiral's Club to be one of the best.
But that actually isn't saying too much for the club.

Personally, if I were departing any airline that wasn't Airside F, and was checked-in with plenty of time to spare, then I'd give it a try (remembering that I'd need to clear TSA again at my departing Airside).
But arriving ?? No. Go on and get out and enjoy the Tampa Bay Metropolitan area. It's much better than the Club
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Except....

The Citi AA Exec card DOES confer membership in the AC. A benefit on membership is non-traveling access to any club (with 24 hour notice.) Most stations deal with this scenario by issuing a dummy AA boarding card. So, Call the main A/C number M-F and tell them you want to use that membership benefit. (Assuming U.S. clubs are now fully converted to A/Cs) You can then get an AA boarding pass and make security and contractors alike happy.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I was amazed / impressed how nice the TPA club is.... I'd consider it one of the best in the system, from the friendliness of the staff to the actual facilities.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
The Citi AA Exec card DOES confer membership in the AC.
Are you sure?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Are you sure?
Yes.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linglingfool
WOW did I misread Madison Guy's post-- I read it as saying the exact opposite! No idea why I put a "not" in there!

Considering I have 3 Citi AA Exec cards, you'd think I'd have the hang of it by now!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There is no domestic airline club worth re-clearing security for if you have a reasonably timed connection.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thanks, all. I'm in TPA for a meeting (so no connection) but must wait on some colleagues at the airport. Depending on how much time I have, I may try the people mover to club. If heard from someone else that the club is nice.

Weirdly I'll be in and out of TPA with family the previous week too.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:40 pm

So I'm headed to TPA and was going to check out the AC (flying on southwest) bc flight now delayed. I realize this as I'm nearly to airport. My Citi Exec card was hacked last week and new hasn't arrived. Will they let me in lounge with my AA number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.